Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sittin at work dealin with some pink eye on the first truly rideable day here in the Northeast. I wasn,t gonna risk commuting with one eye shut in pain wondering who or what is coming out from behind the next snowbank. Anyways I took one of my favorite routes in to work (New England farm roads/paved deer paths at times :D) and couldn't believe how bad it had deteriorated in 2 months! Usually I'll drive some of my usual haunts when the weather or my body won't allow. I think I'll check some other roads before I charge them blind once the season is truly here. Wondering if anyone else has done any recon in their neck of the woods?

·
30,008 Posts
Yes a little bit. With the cold winter this year, and extra snow needing more plowing than normal, the roads are really badly beaten up. Lots of MASSIVE pot holes.

I think the best thing to do is buy a Triumph Tiger 800Xc in phantom black for use on these badly beaten up roads, I should think.

And do be careful - the warm spell has woken up the deer, and they are moving about. Been quite a few collisions lately.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
Prop, you sure have been talking a lot about a 2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC in Phantom Black lately. Did you order one or something?

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
I hope the demo I'm going to ride next month is in phantom black too. It sure is a good looking colour for a Triumph.:D

H

·
0 Posts
I knew a little round guy with wings had said he was getting a 800 xc.

Took the little red Demon 675 for a short ride in the 76 degree heat but came home after the 4th or 5th bridge. This state only knows how to deal with cold weather by burying bridges in course sand. They might freeze so instead of waiting to see if they do the TDOT weenies just dump a couple yards from one end to the other. Very nasty on a bike. But coming home I did see them sweeping it up in several places. More road research tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
The roads around here that were iffy get holes in them, but they do a pretty good job of repairing them, if you're patient. The good roads pretty much stay that way.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
In my part of Pennsylvania, potholes are filled with a lump of asphalt. It's up to the cars on the road to mash the asphalt lump even with the road.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
thats a good way to do it from the point of view of the ashphalt staying put ( kinda like a rivet) but as usuall they dont consider the effects on a bike !!!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
SOB,

Not sure where you are, I am in the Hudson Valley. I went out Friday and did 50 miles. The state and county roads seemed okay, the local town roads are awful. I shot some footage of Union Center Rd just south of Kingston.. I apologize for the quality, its was an experiment, but the road was bad, covered in sand and salt.My back wheel slipped so much I felt like a flat tracker.

Prop,

Looking forward to your review.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts