Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
Yes, we bikers are at the mercy of the 4/6/18-wheelers, that is true. At 73, I also have stories also but that is not what I want to share.

I haven't done this when on my bike as I don't know how to wear it with my helmet on. But when in my car and traffic around me starts to have the flavor of road rage, I reach over and put on my black baseball cap. Immediately the traffic around me slows down and all get their act together. As I pass cars I look directly into the driver or passenger's eyes and just smile as I wave casually at them. It is amazing what that black baseball cap with white, boldly embroidered letters - "POLICE" - will accomplish!

Jumping in on this one.

I'm quite young - 27 - but have been riding for almost a decade, and used to pull some stupid **** when I was a little younger. I ride much more carefully now, and try to tone down the anger, but someone pulls something stupid almost every day. My country has a lot of poor drivers, guns and aggression.

Last year on the highway at around 120km/h I was aggressively and dangerously passed by a drunk driver at about 9pm on a Friday. I hooted and gestured. They proceeded to angle behind me and run me down. Bike was toast, both of my kneecaps are now at about 30%, left calf was cut in two by the chain, minor TBI, left me with a stutter and memory issues for about 8 months.

I ride on now, and if I need to take a minute on the side of the road to calm down, I'll do that. Not worth your life.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Jumping in on this one.

I'm quite young - 27 - but have been riding for almost a decade, and used to pull some stupid **** when I was a little younger. I ride much more carefully now, and try to tone down the anger, but someone pulls something stupid almost every day. My country has a lot of poor drivers, guns and aggression.

Last year on the highway at around 120km/h I was aggressively and dangerously passed by a drunk driver at about 9pm on a Friday. I hooted and gestured. They proceeded to angle behind me and run me down. Bike was toast, both of my kneecaps are now at about 30%, left calf was cut in two by the chain, minor TBI, left me with a stutter and memory issues for about 8 months.

I ride on now, and if I need to take a minute on the side of the road to calm down, I'll do that. Not worth your life.

Exactly. Sorry to hear. My point I was making is that you never know how crazy the other person is. It’s not worth it. Keep riding !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a lot of mentally unstable people on the road, people who can't think rationally when they feel angry or slighted. If you're on a bike, those people can threaten you and hurt you without risking too much damage to themselves or their car, and it's shocking how often they'll try it.

A close friend of mine quit riding for a long time after one of his best riding friends was run down (and left a quadraplegic) by a pickup truck following a routine shouting match at a stoplight. The driver had spent most of his adult life in and out of jail for violent offenses. I try to remind myself that such a person might be behind the wheel of any vehicle I encounter.

Hence my signature.........
When I ride with my son, before we set off I always say "We both go out, we both come home"
Live to ride another day, anyone out there could easily wreck it all........
Stay safe
Steve

I haven't done this when on my bike as I don't know how to wear it with my helmet on. But when in my car and traffic around me starts to have the flavor of road rage, I reach over and put on my black baseball cap. Immediately the traffic around me slows down and all get their act together. As I pass cars I look directly into the driver or passenger's eyes and just smile as I wave casually at them. It is amazing what that black baseball cap with white, boldly embroidered letters - "POLICE" - will accomplish!
FBI works too. ;)

Reactions: Dilettante
On a bike I try to avoid confrontations and even do my best to make "buddies" in nearby traffic. Ie. if a signal comes on, I wave them on in front of me. If someone cuts me off I don't make a deal of it, if someone wants to pass, I let them. We are small and have usually better acceleration but cars have more protection, more fuel range, usually better top speed, they can do corners quicker. It isn't worth trying to rage out, for me riding is my zen place.

Yesterday coming home from the beach on a major highway I watched a guy on a bike go at it with an suv. Both blew buy me about a half mile down I saw the guy on the bike picking up his bike on the shoulder he was fine. I didn’t see him go down. I was on the far lane and couldn’t stop. I couldn’t believe he wasn’t toast. It happened pretty fast it didn’t look like the biker was trying to evade at one point he was behind the suv trying to pass ???Called 911 and tried finding the prick in the suv. I just don’t understand why anyone on a bike would go head to head w a jerkoff on 4 wheels. Let it go man ride to see another day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just curious, your title says “biker lost” but nobody in your story died..

Fair enough. In the states it would be construed as someone died. Not familiar with “lost the plot”.
Lost the battle apparently...

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.