Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday coming home from the beach on a major highway I watched a guy on a bike go at it with an suv. Both blew buy me about a half mile down I saw the guy on the bike picking up his bike on the shoulder he was fine. I didn’t see him go down. I was on the far lane and couldn’t stop. I couldn’t believe he wasn’t toast. It happened pretty fast it didn’t look like the biker was trying to evade at one point he was behind the suv trying to pass ???Called 911 and tried finding the prick in the suv. I just don’t understand why anyone on a bike would go head to head w a jerkoff on 4 wheels. Let it go man ride to see another day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yesterday coming home from the beach on a major highway I watched a guy on a bike go at it with an suv. Both blew buy me about a half mile down I saw the guy on the bike picking up his bike on the shoulder he was fine. I didn’t see him go down. I was on the far lane and couldn’t stop. I couldn’t believe he wasn’t toast. It happened pretty fast it didn’t look like the biker was trying to evade at one point he was behind the suv trying to pass ???Called 911 and tried finding the prick in the suv. I just don’t understand why anyone on a bike would go head to head w a jerkoff on 4 wheels. Let it go man ride to see another day.

interesting stuff--I see it too
I saw a pretty good back and forth last week and not sure how it started but the biker was being a real dick
Im a long term biker and know cars do stupid things
But I also see bikers always defend other bikers and jump to conclusion that the car was wrong
not saying that was issue you witnessed
but just on my mind that lots of bikers are dicks too and reckless etc
I try not to tangle with folks--you never know who will run you over or pull out a gun these days
I just stay away from vehicles or situations as much as possible--its lose lose--IMHO

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed some bikers are dicks think they own the road. We’ve all seen them. Even so you gotta be a bigger dick trying to run a bike off the road at 80 plus mph.

·
Driftless Admin
11,674 Posts
We chose the most vulnerable mode of transportation there is, we should act like it, regardless of how right we are and wrong they are. Righteousness is of little use when you're in a ditch broken and bruised.

I'm a big fan of pulling over to the breakdown lane for a while to put some distance between me and the asshats. Better than picking a fight I have little chance of winning.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Agreed some bikers are dicks think they own the road. We’ve all seen them. Even so you gotta be a bigger dick trying to run a bike off the road at 80 plus mph.

I agree with you
and wasn't saying that was what you witnessed
just mention it because it was on my mind fresh due to what I saw just last week

bad folks on both sides :)

·
Registered
905 Posts
I got into with a car once. I was waiting for a light and gave the car ahead of me a little room. Some girl flys up and pulls in front of me, half her car in my lane and half in the turning lane. It set me off.

I passed her as soon as the light turned. She sped up behind me and tried to pass me on the left, meaning the sidewalk and grass. I kept her behind me because she clearly didn’t understand that the motorcycle was a little faster. She got close behind me and I break checked her. That was really stupid because I was giving this person way to much credit in thinking they’d react in time. Thankfully she did, but I was done at that point. Sped off and put some distance between us.

A week later I saw a Jeep take out a rider like he was nothing. Just changing lanes, not even fast, just a bump and he was done. Watching the guy bleed out on the side of the road made me rethink my actions and swallow my pride when out on the bike.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
One day I was out riding on a country road no one behind me and just a Hilux in front of me I got up behind the HL not right up to him but had a safe space but for some unknown reason the driver didn't like me there, I was minding my own business when all of a sudden he locked up his brakes, no one in front of him and no reason at all for locking up his brakes, lucky I was paying attention and was able to avoid him, his wife beside him was going of her head in what he had done, I decided to get past him but I did give it to him as I went past him, but I think he was in more troubles from his wife as she was still getting up him, this was at highway speed 100kmph, I just opened the Thruxton up and got well away from the fool.
But it does make you wonder why people do stupid things like that, what is going through their heads at the time, I wasn't tail gating him at all, in my younger days I would have kicked the sh.t out of his door, but I think he got punished enough from his wife screaming at him.

Ashley

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
There are some real loonies out there.
I lost my temper once this year; if I didn't have to worry about losing my job I would have this dumb kid's middle finger nailed to my garage wall BUT let it go.
I did put a little bit of a scare into him, though. Shame on me.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I know I'm at great risk, but a couple of times I couldn't contain myself. Twice when cars almost took out my wife who was riding ahead of me. Both times, I chased them down.

The first time I was able to see that the guy was ticketed.

The second time, I pulled up next to the car at an intersection. I must have scared him. He took off, ran the red and was nearly taken out by cross traffic. I u-turned and left

More recently, I followed a car who cut me off until she called the police. The trooper got both our stories and explained he couldn't do anything on a "he said she said". He then told me he could see both our driving records and I must know who he believed. Since my record is clean, I assume he believed me.

It hasn't happened in a long time. I like to think I'll let them all go now but I can't say never.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's bringing a knife to a gun fight. I agree with you George107, ride to see another day. There is no shortage of crazy out there so just be thankful you're out on your bike enjoying the day and let it go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Back in 2000, on my very first day on a three week bike ride out west in the USA and up and through Canada. I was riding along on my Yamaha Royal Star on a freeway. I was just minding my own business. I was going the speed limit and was passing a car on my right. The driver sped up, stayed with me, and moved into my lane, forcing me to run on the rumble strips. I was furious. The guy had his wife and kids in the car. He didn't give a rats a$$. I swore at him and gave him the universal sign, while braking, letting him go by. One part of me wanted to follow him and do something to him. The wiser part of me said, screw it. I let the adrenaline wear off and let him go. I'll never forget that. That jackass tried to kill me for nothing. Let's just say I ride VERY defensively, just as a 71 yo adult should. That''s opposed to the kid I saw this weekend on a crotch rocket going at least 100 with his legs hanging off the bike in the wind. Unbelievably stupid..... I got other stories about those foolish crotch rocket dumbasses. Even when I was their age, I never rode like that.......

·
Registered
905 Posts
I’ve seen the crotch rocket guys box cars in on the interstate, preventing them from going faster, slower, or changing lanes. They almost caught me once but my car is quicker then it looks. Not a smart move on their part, but I’m guessing they watch videos on YouTube of people doing the same, people surviving high speed crashes, and it makes them feel invincible.

It’ll eventually cost’m.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I’ve seen and experienced a lot of stupid schnit while riding. I started riding ~1980 or so. I used to do A LOT of said stupid schnit. Now that I’m older, and maybe just a tad smarted, I really, really try not to get into confrontations with 4 wheeled vehicles. I’m not saying there isn’t a horn blown, a hand gesture, possibly a showing of a specific digit every now and then, but I know I can’t win one on one. We riders need to make sure, as much as possible, that we don’t bring problems on ourselves. There’s enough problems, and dangers on the road already.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It doesn’t matter if you’re in the right. You can be the toughest badass on two legs capable of kicking the crap out of 4 guys at once. 4 wheels will always win. The guy in the suv was trying real hard to make the biker a blood splat on the side of the road. He was pretty intent on winning a real crazy mofo. I’m now 53. It just ain’t worth it. Go grab a beer and curse them out. The next one just might be like the guy I saw.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
I had one scary interaction with a car -- a big SUV. There was a long line of cars stopped at a light, waiting to go straight or turn right. I needed to turn right, so I slid up past the cars on the right side. In the bike lane for maybe 15 feet. A no-no, I admit, but I wasn't being a jerk about it, no bikes around and I was going at a reasonably slow speed. As I turned right, the light changed, and this guy in an SUV started screaming at me, and following me all the time yelling out of the window "it's a bike lane". The rage emanating from him was impressive! I was able to speed away and he got caught at another light, still shaking his fist out the window at me. Yeah, I was in the wrong, but he was coming after me like he wanted to kill me -- which given the relative size of our vehicles he very well could have. Very odd because frankly what did he care, I wasn't affecting him at all, didn't cut him off, didn't cut off any bikes. But I gotta tell you, I don't do that anymore -- I only filter on the left now. So I guess he achieved his goal lol...

-Dan

·
Registered
218 Posts
Some idiot in a truck changed lanes into me the other day on a two lane road. I had seen him ahead of me doing some erratic driving so I wasn’t that comfortable beside him and was looking to get past him as soon as I could.

Ended up needing to swerve into the bike lane, go around the car in front of me and I just took off to be done with it. Was plenty agitated, but it just isn’t worth it.

Couple minutes later saw a vehicle getting ready to pull a left hand turn right in front of me. Slowed down to the point where I could take action if needed, but the driver saw me and didn’t proceed. Gave them a friendly hand wave. Riders are better served throwing props to cagers who take action to help bikers out, vs acting like @$$hats and giving us all a bad name. Just my $.02

·
Registered
24 Posts
Apart from a draw, against a car the probability of losing is 100%. The cost of losing can be your life. Swallow your pride, move on and away, so you can enjoy the twisties another day.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts