Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Rizoma rear sets installed and I think they're pretty cool. They're very much high up though.

I was thinking what will happen if I get R&G style rear mount sliders. My knees are much higher than in stock position. This might cause my knees to hit the sliders, right? Any experience with this?

Also the foot pegs are fixed, not folding like the stock. Won't this cause me to low side if the pegs hit the ground? The pegs are really high and I'm nowhere near touching them to the ground, but it's still possible. Of course the bike might low side way before the peg hit the ground, but you never know.

Would it be a good idea to replace them with folding pegs?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I was looking at them over the weekend also. I definately would have to buy the folding pegs to go with it. Should be stock IMO for Rizoma money.
Maybe some one who has this rearset could let us know if it touches down as as easily as the stockers or not ?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
A - if the pegs are higher than stock they won't touch as early as the stock pegs.

B - the only time I've scraped pegs was at Deal's Gap and on the track and even then, I rubbed the toe of my boot and realized I was too low before I would have come close to lowsiding.

So, get the folding pegs if you've scraped pegs in the past, do trackdays, or are a really aggressive knee-dragging street rider. Otherwise, fuggetabooutit.

You should invest in pants with knee sliders and better gear before you get to the peg-dragging point anyway.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have the Rizomas, and opted for the folding pegs.

Not cause I drag my knees & pegs on corners, but I just wanted folding ones.

Some feel as though a solid footpeg acts as a frame slider and may prevent some damage if you lay it over.....others feel a solid peg might "grab" and cause more damage, as it wouldn't exactly "slide" like a polyureathane frame slider does.

It should be noted that the folding peg is about 1/2" shorter than the stock Rizoma solid peg, as that 1/2" is taken up by the hinge mechanism.

Like others have said, my toes touch down before the peg will and at that point, I'm usually ready to come back up anyway. :-D

Also - make sure you replace the left side shift linkage hardware with nylock nuts......the stock ones vibrated loose after one week while I was cruising down the freeway at 75 MPH........not good.

JOHN

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. But the thing is, when the peg hits the ground, it's too late already, right? :) The point of precautionary measures is doing it before you actually need to.

I'm really no where near peg or knee draggin' at the moment. Especially with the rizomas. I'm not really sure if it's even possible to drag the pegs with rizomas, because they're really high. I'm thinking you'd loose grip before it happens. This was partly what I was trying to ask here. Does anyone know if it's even possible and therefore something to worry about?

I do have leather pants with knee sliders already. I've done a couple track days and plan to about 10 more this summer (when it comes :( ). No touch downs with the knee yet. Need to calibrate the suspension first. The bike feels a bit too twitchy while cornering.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2007-01-23 11:36, graciejohn2 wrote:

Also - make sure you replace the left side shift linkage hardware with nylock nuts......the stock ones vibrated loose after one week while I was cruising down the freeway at 75 MPH........not good.

JOHN
Yep. This happened to me TWICE! :hammer: :mad: :razz:

The last time lost the nut somewhere in the middle of street in down town Helsinki during the rush hour. I found the bolt only. Luckily I didn't break the shaft and had my tools with me, but I did have to go through a couple of stores before I found a new nut. There's not too many hardware stores in downtown Helsinki... :-D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts