Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have my beautiful new Rizoma brake fluid reservoir installed, looks and functions perfectly but when I let the bike sit for two or three days I'm getting a small amount of brake fluid leakage out of the top of the cap even though it's on tightly. There appears to be some sort of venting holes or something. Does anyone have any experience with this? The reservoir looks great but I'm not sure I can live with the leaking fluid on a long-term basis. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
This is a recurring thread. I have had both front and rear reservoirs on for 7 months and never had an issue. The key, in my opinion, is applying grease to the cap prior to putting it on.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Does it have an diaphragm inside the reservoir (like very other one I have seen, I've just never had a Rizoma a part)? If so, try turning it a quarter or half turn when you have the cap off.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Leaks.

My Rizoma front leaked from the sight glass, it coverd the tank in fluid.The rear is still in the packet. Once bittten twice shy.

Triumph do an alloy one looks cool with no sight glass.

Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yikes, I'm such an idiot, I was going to get the Triumph ones but wanted to match my Rizoma grips so went with that one instead. Having buyers remorse I guess.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have had a Rizoma front reservoir for over a year and it never leaked........until 2 weeks ago. Why, I'll never know. I had another Rizoma before that and the rubber strip that runs on the outside of the lid (and is purely cosmetic) perished within a couple of months.

I like the grease idea and may try that. But yesterday I bought a Triumph reservoir and may just fit that when the calipers/master cylinder from a GSXR1000 K8 arrive for my brake upgrade. The Triumph reservoir seems a) Enormous and b) To have a top-of-a-thousand-turns. It does, however seem to be good quality......but then so did the Rizomas!

·
Registered
62 Posts
i am quite pleased with the TRIUMPH reservoir.

it does have a cap that seems to turn forever, but it is quality kit and no problems with leakage, etc.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've got the Rizoma on the front. Haven't greased anything, no leaks or problems so far. there are different finishes of the Rizoma reservoir. Mine is titanium. Maybe a trend? What finishes are leaking?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone for the advice and posts. Here's my update. First of all my Rizoma reservoirs are both black. I took the advice of you guys and took the inside rubber deal and turned it a quarter turn, put some white grease on the threads and then torqued the top down as tight as I could get it by hand. Seems like it's tighter than before and so far no leaks. I do like the fact that my reservoir is smaller in size than the Triumph one, but kudos to Triumph for making one that is soo cool looking with the scalloped sides and such.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
This is a recurring theme in here. Am I the only one who thinks that a single drop of brake fluid escaping from a master cylinder is totally unacceptable? It's pretty clear to me that the Rizoma product has a serious design defect. I wouldn't touch one with a pole.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I know there has been some bad publicity for these reservoirs on this site, but I have had exactly zero problems with mine and I love it. Small, low profile, much better looking than the bulky plastic piece of crap that came originally.
But I agree, one drop of brake fluid leaking is totally unacceptable. That would fade your paint! Mine has been 100% leak free.
Anyone notified Rizoma about the concerns?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Guys.

We hadn't heard of a leaky reservoir in the 2 months or so, so I'm guessing this customer didn't get it from us or didn't contact us before posting.

99.9% of the reservoirs that have seeped fluid are due to the level being too high and the bellows squeezing fluid out when the cap is tightened. Running the level so that it is in the middle of the site glass when the bellows and cap are installed will fix the problem. Also - if you get fluid on the threads when you put fluid in it, that fluid will eventually seep out...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts