Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get my Trident to start. It was running earlier today, but now it fires a couple of times then stops. When it does this the ignition light goes off when the bike fires, but stays off for several seconds after the engine stops, so I have to wait between kicks. Is this normal for the RITA, and if not, what could be the causer. New battery, fully charged, reading 12.5 volts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The "ignition" light to which you refer is an oil pressure warning light. When the key is turned on, the light comes on, but as soon as the bike truns over a few times (and builds up oil pressure) the light will go off. If the bike stalls, it could be 30 seconds or more before the oil light comes back on. In a good tight motor, the oil pressure drops off slowly, and the light will not come on until pressure drops to under 8 lbs. Now, as far as the bike not starting, one of the first places that I look on a Triple with a Rita: I check that the air gap between the three high points of the reluctor and the magnet on the pickup are all set to .008". Besure to check all three points to magnet. I have seen reluctors that had good gaps on two points, but were too close on the last one. That is when I break out the jewelers files. What year is your bike, and how old is the Rita (the Rita on my T160 just recently failed--after 70,000 miles of performing flawlessly)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will check the gaps tomorrow. The bike is a 74 but I don't know when the unit was fitted. However,the odometer only shows 20,000 miles.
Stu

·
Registered
97 Posts
Regarding starting a Triple--you really need to tickle all three carbs for the Triples to fire up on the first kick. Yeah, I know--that means having skinny, long fingers to get to the center tickler, or a small screwdriver. If you go to start your Triple, and it fires for a few revolutions, then stops, you need to tickle all three carbs again since you have used up the extra gas that was put into the engine on the first tickle. On my own Triples (I have 7 of them at this time) and all my customer's Triples, tickling all three carbs always starts the bike much sooner than only tickling the two outer carbs. One other point regarding starting: do NOT twist the throttle as you kick the starter. Try holding the throttle 1/4 open, but do NOT twist when kicking.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slicktero - I agree 100% with your starting directions. I'm coming from a point of having "only" three Tridents, sounds like you have a PROPER collection of them!
Would you like to have 4?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts