Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all,

I imagine the UK's MOT is something equivalent to the TüV germany. In order to put a 17 ich rear on a 93 triumph trident 900 you need a conformity declaration from triumph stating the the 1cm height difference is not going to be a issue and you can run a 17 inch rim with its corresponding tyres on the trident etc. etc. A few years ago this was no issue, triumph would give you the conformity declaration and the TüV would change it on the papers and done. Today it seems not to be allowed anymore (at least in Germany). Did anyone manage to do this recently ?

I would like to use the modern tyre options available . Wet weather handling has significantly improved in the last few years but they are rarely available for an 18 inch rear

How do Custom builders get MOT or TüV ?

V

·
Registered
124 Posts
Geez, that’s just too much control. But that’s a discussion for another thread. Sorry I can’t help you with the question at hand, but I’m using the Pirelli Angel GT and I think that tire performs quite well in the wet as well as the dry. Have you considered that tire?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi SJ,

Totally agree on the control. this level is taking things "a bit" too far.

Yes, that tyre is on the shortlist it plays between the Angel GT and the T31R. I think the cheapest set will be used. I think I will not notice nor exploit the difference between these two.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm quite happy with Avon Storm 3D, available 160/60ZR18:

I did run my Trophy with a 17" wheel for a while. Didn't like it. Steering was heavier, like the back wheel was directing the front, and the bike was more sensitive to bad tarmac.

I believe the shocks are different lengths, for 17 and 18 inch rears. Maybe that's why.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi LeT,

Interesting info. I will have a look at the shock lenght. thanks as well for your impressions with a 17inch wheel.
Great price on the Avons
V

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi LeT,

Interesting info. I will have a look at the shock lenght. thanks as well for your impressions with a 17inch wheel.
Great price on the Avons
V
Am running the Storm 3D'S on my Trident with stock 18" wheels. Love 'em. Avon is phasing out the Storm 3D's and replacing them with the Spirit ST. Have heard nothing but good about those as well. Worth looking in to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts