Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can help with my confusion....

Attached is a photo of some rear engine mounts I took off my rigid frame / engine. The bike had rear sets, however I am reinstating the original footrests.

As I understand it the mount on the LH side should have a hole for the support ro and no lugs. The RH side should have a similar hole and lugs pointing outwards.

One frame mount showed below has lugs pointing the wrong way, and the other looks like it used to have lugs pointing the wrong way also......? Or am i missing something?

The lugs should never point in the direction I've got?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
If I remember correctly, the plate with the spigots is on the right, with the spigots pointing outwards.

I have looked in the parts book and the right hand engine plate does seem to have the spigots on the wrong side - very strange!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What seems strange to me, although the photograph doesn't show it very well, is that the other one originally had the spigots on the same side (from the part of one still in it)......???

·
Super Moderator
12,535 Posts
The footpeg alignment pins SHOULD BE a press-fit in the plates, pointing out on either side.

The plates should be mirror/identical otherwise.

Slightly loose footpeg mounting results in wearing out and/or pin breakage, and/or pins falling out, resulting in the case you see here.

If the pin fit to the footpeg is still intact, that may be where one or more of your pins are.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
What GPZ says makes sense even though the parts drawing only seems to show pins on the right hand side plate. The parts drawing is only meant to be indicative.
Getting new pins pressed in should not be difficult but getting the existing pins out of the left hand foot rest (if you have it) could be more of a challenge but any competent machine shop will be able to do it without a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts