Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my new 2010 Thunderbird; however, she has acquired an oil leak around the large bolt on the right side. It started as a little "misting" and then finally a stream. I took the bike in to my local HD dealer (there are no Triumph dealers here in Las Vegas) and they snugged it up for me and that fixed it for about a tank.... then it has started again (though I've noticed it may only be leaking now at freeway speeds as it didn't leak yesterday when I had a quick local ride). Obviously the gasket needs replacing and since I got the bike this spring I called my dealer back in Omaha to see how to get warrantee service locally. They forwarded my request to Triumph and the reply I got is disappointing to say the least. Apparently my warrantee is only good for service at a Triumph dealer and with the closest being 185 miles away that's not really an option. When I got my bike I didn't know I was going to get orders here (military...I go where they send me) so I didn't know I was going to have this issue. My local HD dealer, who will be doing my bike servicing, does have a "Triumph guy". My real concern is what happens when (lets hope NEVER!) I have a more serious issue and need service?

Back to the oil leak. I can probably replace it myself, but I'll have to figure out beforehand what is behind that bolt (springs? Bearing? ??) and I'll need to know what the tourque value is. Has anyone replaced this gasket?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Not sure why you expected a manufacturer to cover warranty service outside of their dealer network. I have never heard of any ever doing that including HD.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand. I was probably blinded by my experience overseas in Italy where I've seen U.S. based vehicle warrantee work done at the Mom & Pop shop down the street; where they billed GM directly at no cost to the owner.

·
Banned
247 Posts
Michael, there isn't any motorcycle manfacture would allow another to accomplish warranted work. I afraid you'll just have to make the 185 mile journey.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, for anything I can't fix or pay for locally out of pocket, I'll have to. I do find it interesting that the dealer actually recommended I take my bike to an HD dealer for regular service and was seemingly not aware I couldn't get warranty service here. Even my HD dealer (before I got the answer from Triumph) stated he'd work out the warranty details for me. Ahh well... live and learn...

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I understand. I was probably blinded by my experience overseas in Italy where I've seen U.S. based vehicle warrantee work done at the Mom & Pop shop down the street; where they billed GM directly at no cost to the owner.
You will never see that anywhere in the US.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Back to the oil leak. I can probably replace it myself, but I'll have to figure out beforehand what is behind that bolt (springs? Bearing? ??) and I'll need to know what the tourque value is. Has anyone replaced this gasket?
Since you are 185 miles from your nearest dealer I assume that you are talking about Engle Motors, in Kansas City. Engle fixed my leak a few weeks ago under warranty, so they have recent first-hand experience with this problem. I suggest you give them a call and talk to the shop manager (John) and see if he can give you the info. I don't think it is much of a job--it took them very little time to do the repair, which consisted of replacing a gasket.

http://www.englemotors.com/Default.asp

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Same experience as Stratofaster.
I noticed the same bolt was "weeping" a little after a hard ride. I wiped it off a couple of times - barely noticeble except for a little misting on the chrome right beside it. The dealer who is less than 10 miles away said it was a hard metal gasket that sometimes didn't seat properly.
He pulled both the one that was weeping and the one on the other side which was not and "smoothed and re-seated" them. He told me to watch it, and if it happened again he'd replace them with gaskets made of a softer metal.
The whole thing took about 15 minutes while I waited.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I forgot to mention that he said for me not to mess with them or try to tighten them - they needed to be torqued to a specific value.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for that info! I didn't realize they were metal gaskets... makes sense though. I have access to an auto hobby shop, I just need to get the gasket and the torque value.

-mg

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
I had the same thing.

Fix: Cold bike, unscrew the bolt, replace the crush washer, (I think it torques back to 50nm but check to be sure) and you're good. You'll lose a bit of oil, so don't forget to top up.

Mine was done under warranty and I watched them fix it in all of 5 minutes. Hasn't leaked since. Frustrating that it happened though...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Michael. The problem you have is the copper washer has fine machine markings which allow leakage, torque is not critical. its only a plug really, similar to a sump plug, take it off and dress the washer on some fine emery paper until its nice and smooth , u can use a smear of silastic to be sure it seals if you wish (i didnt) and refit, just tighten it up snug..its a commom fault, cheers, Tadpole

1 - 12 of 12 Posts