Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So decided I'm going to relocate the ignition off the headlight ears due for many reasons. Was set on the left side Joker relocation bracket, but just noticed that they now make a right side option.
Functionally, I think the right side would be great for turning off the bike, as it would allow me to pull in the clutch with the left hand and then reach down and turn off the bike with the right hand.
However, for starting the bike I usually approach from the left side, kick it into neutral and the start it up. So with the right side bracket I'd have to lean over the bike to insert and turn the key.
The left side bracket solves the starting issue but turning it off is the same problem as the current one on the headlight ears. Have to put the bike in neutral first then reach down and turn it off. Since I always park in gear this is an annoying step.
On other bikes I've always had the ignition on the dash so no difference either way, but on the Bonneville I want to keep the gauges as clean as possible.

Thoughts? Experiences from your own install/other bikes?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have a NH Damper mounted on the right, so I would have to go the left side as well.

Even if I didn't I would most likely go with the left side. I always park my bike in neutral anyway. I would much rather have a hand on the brake when I just the bike off than a hand on the clutch, especially if parked on a hill. You can leave your hand on the brake while your other hand turns the key and pulls the clutch.

Also, if you park in gear, it would still be easier to just drop the kickstand to shut the bike off then leaving you left hand on the clutch to pull your right hand off the brake to turn the key.

I think everyone approaches from the left as well, seeing as mounting the bike from the right side is extremely awkward...and silly looking.

·
Registered
10,706 Posts
Or get a D9 gauge bracket with ignition in it. Added bonus is that it will look better than your stock gauge bracket. And it will be exactly what you want.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Like there's a stop switch on the right grip...

That being said, I do love my D9 dash-mounted ignition switch.

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
842 Posts
Like there's a stop switch on the right grip...

That being said, I do love my D9 dash-mounted ignition switch.

Cheers,

--Rich
Yeah I'm a bit confused too. I always just cut the engine with the kill switch. I usually don't take the key out of the ignition until I'm off the bike. My only problem with where the ignition is located is that it's a little awkwardly close to the left turn signal.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The D9 bracket is sweet, except for the fact that there are issues with the ignition switch not being water resistant. The Key slot does not have a spring loaded cover like bike that have top mounted ignitions. If it rains and water goes in the ignition cylinder, you're asking for trouble.

If the bike never get's wet then no biggy.

I always hit the kill switch as well, I had just assumed the OP was one of those that was under the impression that it was bad to do (as so many seem to be).

·
Registered
223 Posts
I kind of like the central position my other bikes have....whenever I stop on the Bonnie I drop the kickstand to kill the motor because I always seem to still be in gear (Bad Habits never die!)...but then I have to remember to reach down with my left hand to turn the ignition off....it's just another little show of nostalgia and I really don't mind it at all. I just love riding my Bonneville!...

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe a silly question, but I was curious what other people thought. Part of my curiosity was from a test ride the new Thunderbird which has the ignition on the right side, tucked in near the cylinder heads and I thought it was kind-of slick.
Think I'll stick with the left side mount, goes with the idea of keeping all the start-up activities on the same side.
Being right handed I feel weird using my left hand for the key, but its just one of many new things with the bike that I'll soon get used to.
Don't want the ignition on top yoke, prefer the very clean and simple options that D9 can produce.

·
Registered
972 Posts
When the dealer was going over my new T100, he cautioned me that I should kill the bike with the key, not the kill switch. Don't remember why now. I think it has something to do with the EFI.

·
Registered
842 Posts
When the dealer was going over my new T100, he cautioned me that I should kill the bike with the key, not the kill switch. Don't remember why now. I think it has something to do with the EFI.
Well if that's the case then I'd DEFINITELY move it. That thing is a pain to reach while sitting upright on the bike since you wouldn't even be able to put the kickstand down. I guess one more reason I like my carbs. :D

·
Registered
959 Posts
The kill switch is there to kill the bike. If it was bad, then half of us with EFI bikes would all be having terrible problems now. It doesn't kill power to the ECU, nor control it so what's it possibly going to hurt? All it disables is fuel and spark.

The reason they probably say that is because people hit the kill switch forgetting that the key is still on which leaves the lights on and kills the battery. Telling the customer the boogie man will find you and eat your children if you use the kill switch is an easy way for them to not have to replace batteries for no reason all the time whenever someone kills it and cries foul and demands a replacement under warranty.

As far as I can tell no one has every provided any conclusive evidence whatsoever that using the kill switch will ruin your bike.

Eventually I will be doing front end work, and will need to relocate it myself. When that time comes, I will probably do an airbox delete and pull the side covers and make a bracket to mount it down of the side of the bike up under the seat and out of the way.

I'd rather just reach straight down then lean forward, and certainly don't want it right in my face on the top triple.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Left side is easier because the wires don't have to go as far from the bucket. I did right side since that is the side I also use my brake lock on, so it was more convenience.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
The kill switch is wired in series with the ignition switch contacts so it has the same effect as far as stopping the engine is concerned.

The ECM however remains powered up for a timed one minute to enable orderly shutdown. This is controlled by a relay latched by the ECM.

The advice is, as others have pointed out, to stop people forgetting to turn off the ignition and draining the battery.

See kill switch (item 4) and its wiring in series with the ignition switch (item 42, contacts 5 and 6) on this full circuit diagram for a EFI mechanical speedo bike:

http://www.telecable.es/personales/amvelectronica/EFI_Bonnie_wiring%20full%20diagram.jpg

·
Registered
866 Posts
+1 on D9Mini Option

Or get a D9 gauge bracket with ignition in it. Added bonus is that it will look better than your stock gauge bracket. And it will be exactly what you want.
Yep - I went for the lay flat instrument mounting panel that has the ignition switch right up top in the middle where its supposed to be.

And no, that hole in the fork cowling doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Well if that's the case then I'd DEFINITELY move it. That thing is a pain to reach while sitting upright on the bike since you wouldn't even be able to put the kickstand down. I guess one more reason I like my carbs. :D
Not sure what you are talking about. I have no problem reaching the key. You can always get of the bike, put it on its stand, and then shut of the key while you are standing.

I like EFI. Wouldn't have carbs if I have the choice.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Just an FYI; I just mounted Sato Racing's gauge cluster bracket with the ignition in the center of it. Easy install, didn't even have to open the headlight. Looks great and now I have a center mounted ignition. Came with a rubber plug for the old ignition hole. Very satisfied and highly recommend.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
First off with the D9 he makes a great looking filler plug for the hole that is left behind on the headlight ears.

As far as left or right I did it on the left myself. The wire is long enough to reach which is nice although it should make it to the other side. Personally from my experience most of the bikes I've ridden have it mounted on the left so thats what I went with. I used the joker bracket and it looks great.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Left or right? Neither, I just removed the key switch and disconnected it from the connector in the headlamp bucket. Installed a cigarette lighter socket to fill the hole.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts