Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '05 Speedmaster's right cylider will stop firing (seemingly at random). I posted a couple of days ago and no one responded, so I'm trying again.

I am concerned that it's the pricy ECU. Replaced coil, but still acts up only after hot. Help?

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
I don't have firsthand experience with this, but I have read many of these posts. After checking all your connections and ruling out the coil, you could try checking the gap on the ignition pickup coil which should be 0.8mm (not 1mm), and then replacing it if setting the gap doesn't work.

No guarantees, but it seems to have been the culprit in some cases.

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
Edit: Sorry, mistakenly submitted the same reply x 2.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I don't have firsthand experience with this, but I have read many of these posts. After checking all your connections and ruling out the coil, you could try checking the gap on the ignition pickup coil which should be 0.8mm (not 1mm), and then replacing it if setting the gap doesn't work.

yup, probably a coil or pickup sensor. unlikely it's the ignition module.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
might have done it

After more trouble-shooting, I eventually found the crankshaft pickup sensor. The gap was set just beyond 1.0mm, so I backed her down to .8mm. Both cylinders fired up after the adjustment, but I also sprayed the connectors with electrical spray. Not sure what did it, but so far so good.

Thanks for the tip. Where did you get the info about the .8mm gap versus the factory set 1.0mm. What happens if you set it too low?

Again, thanks a lot! I hope that's the fix I was looking for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts