Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I occasionally see riders in London riding around with their visor up and no protection for their eyes. I don't know how they manage to do it without their eyes watering. I tried it once and got about 20m before having to pull over, dry my eyes and put the visor down. If I do have the visor up I need to wear glasses at the very least (polarising glasses for riding that keep out sunshine and glare from headlights. A godsend).

Do you ride with your visor up? If so, how do you manage to prevent your eyes from watering?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I don't know how they do it either, maybe it's like "workers hands" that get tougher with use, is there such a thing as bikers eyeballs :D
I always ride with close fitting wrap-around shades under my helmet, I don't think I could ride more than walking pace with the visor up without them.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know how they do it either, maybe it's like "workers hands" that get tougher with use, is there such a thing as bikers eyeballs :D
Probably. Although, I remember a few years ago when I was making a halloween costume. I wanted to wear some coloured contact lenses, but couldn't get them into my eyes. Even booked an appointment with Specsavers and spent an hour trying to get one in, without success. We finally gave up as they said I had an "overly strong blink reflex".

I always ride with close fitting wrap-around shades under my helmet, I don't think I could ride more than walking pace with the visor up without them.
Same here: glasses on, visor down. Kind of a must with my open face helmet as even the tiny bit of air that gets us unde the visor is enough to make my eyes water. Will getting a full face helmet for long road trips though. Will still ride with the visor down.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Probably. Although, I remember a few years ago when I was making a halloween costume. I wanted to wear some coloured contact lenses, but couldn't get them into my eyes. Even booked an appointment with Specsavers and spent an hour trying to get one in, without success. We finally gave up as they said I had an "overly strong blink reflex".
That might be the common factor then, I tried contact lenses a few years ago but also couldn't get them in, gave up after an hour at the opticians, don't know how practical they are on a bike anyway with all the bits of grit and dirt flying about.
I wear a full face helmet but still ride with sunglasses, partly because it gives me the option of riding with the visor open sometimes but also because my eyes struggle with strong sunlight, even with a tinted visor.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That might be the common factor then, I tried contact lenses a few years ago but also couldn't get them in, gave up after an hour at the opticians, don't know how practical they are on a bike anyway with all the bits of grit and dirt flying about.
I wear a full face helmet but still ride with sunglasses, partly because it gives me the option of riding with the visor open sometimes but also because my eyes struggle with strong sunlight, even with a tinted visor.
Fortunately, my eyesight is great, so don't have to worry about fitting regular glasses under a helmet. But yes, it can't be a coincidence that we're both unable to get contact lenses in and our eyes water on a bike going anything faster than walking pace.

I see a lot of delivery drivers on scooters who never have their visors down. Or have the helmets properly strapped, now I come to think about it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Try riding in freezing fog. You've got two choices in that stuff, a frozen visor that you can't see through, or frozen eyeballs which you can't see through either. It's a sod in heavy rain when it's dark too, you can't see bugger all out of yer visor then, so you usually end up riding with the thing halve open

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I been riding for over 45 years but usually have my sunnies on when riding with my open face helmet or flip top helmet with the visor, with our hot weather here I always have the visor up a bit with the full face but I love my open face helmet and sunnies, but at night I use to wear no glasses at all as most of my 45 years was with a open face helmet, I have only had a flip top helmet for the last 3 years for traveling and high speed riding or rain weather riding, riding at night without glasses your eyes get use to it, I have 20/20 vison so no need for glasses but I find wearing clear glasses or a visor at night you get the reflextion from on coming head lights which I really hate as well I see better at night without any glasses whether clear glasses or visor, I also have very good night vision once my eyes adjust to the darkness.

Ashley

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
I had to do a search on the subject but there are 14 states (50 total)in the US that do not require any eye protection for motorcyclists , that sorta surprises me but....
I live in a state that doesn't require either helmets or eye protection.
I remember when I first started riding I didnt need glasses but I always wore goggles, the wind and the bugs taught you fairly quickly that it was a necessity. Don't know how one could ride without some eye protection but sometimes you gotta learn the hard way.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Well after 45 years riding at night without glasses or googles I still have both eyes and I have all my fingers as well as I also don't like wearing gloves, yes I have been hit by bugs but hey that's all part of riding and normaly see them coming its like slow motion, even wearing glasses the wind can get behind them it don't matter it they are wrap arounds or not and make your eyes water, I don't have that problem without glasses at night.

Ashley

·
Registered
72 Posts
After getting bee stung between helmet and temple on three separate occasions during my 53 years of riding, I've finally come to the conclusion that other than at a stop light, for me, it's visor at least most of the way down.

·
Premium Member
8,438 Posts
I almost always have my visor up. I generally only goes down in rain, at elevated highway speeds - over 80mph or so, if I'm having to do that more than about an hour - or if it's really cold. If I'm following a truck that's spitting debris, I'll put it down then, too.

I prefer to have it open, because I get a little claustrophobic with it down. A pair of Oakleys (Half or Flak Jackets, I can't remember which) with their XLJ lenses does just fine for me. I have neutral grey and clear lenses for them, but normally just leave the Transitions lenses in. They aren't as dark as the grey or as clear as the clear, but they work 99% of the time for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I occasionally see riders in London riding around with their visor up and no protection for their eyes. I don't know how they manage to do it without their eyes watering. I tried it once and got about 20m before having to pull over, dry my eyes and put the visor down. If I do have the visor up I need to wear glasses at the very least (polarising glasses for riding that keep out sunshine and glare from headlights. A godsend).

Do you ride with your visor up? If so, how do you manage to prevent your eyes from watering?
No way.... I have glasses

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
After getting bee stung between helmet and temple on three separate occasions during my 53 years of riding, I've finally come to the conclusion that other than at a stop light, for me, it's visor at least most of the way down.
I hadn't had my new Speed Triple long. I bought it new in March of '14. Wichita was flat and boring, but when the traffic died down near dusk I'd go for an evening loop ride around the town...hitting as many freeway ramps as possible because those were the only corners in town. I always ride with all the gear... including an Arai full face helmet.

Anyway, one night I got home from a ride and took off my helmet to find a big-ass yellow jacket, now dead, wedged in the vent of my chin guard ....right where my mouth would have been had I been wearing a 3/4 open faced helmet.

F... That! It was full-faced helmet and visor down after that at all times except, maybe, a hot summer day at a light.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Depends on speed, windscreen setup, and the weather for me, though I almost always have either corrective lenses or prescription sunglasses on.
If I’m in the lee of a windscreen and in town, I might leave the visor up to 35-40mph at most. That’s a rarity, though. Hot and humid weather with sunglasses is when that happens because closed visor under 30mph at 80+F gets muggy and my sunglasses are designed for cycling to direct wind away from the eyes. Usually, I close it above 20mph or after shifting into 2nd. I’ll open it again at long red lights if there isn’t much of an ambient breeze.
During bug season, it pretty much stays closed...AND gets cleaned weekly! :oops:
I might enjoy the occasional backroads ride with the visor up in late autumn after the bugs clear off before I have to start stuffing a neck warmer into my helmet. It’s lovely...right up until I get a crosswind up my nose that makes me sneeze. :LOL:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Windscreen, windshield...whatever you want to call it. The term keeps changing depending on where I see it, so it’s usually a mental coin flip each time I type it.
I was just being playful. I know a windscreen is one of those new fangled devices to keep bugs away from bikers (right? 🤔)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts