Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are finally going to complete the last leg of our journey around Australia which we started in 2003 with a 30,000k trip around the mainland. After this we moved to Adelaide from Brisbane and have done a few small trips from here including a 5500k
trip to Sydney and back in 2 weeks. Our Tiger now has 105,000ks on the clock and is looking forward to a 21 day round trip to Tassie towing our Unigo Trailer. Leaving Adelaide Boxing Day.
Does anyone have any tips or must see (ride) locations? We hope to camp a fair bit and see as much as we can in 11 days. From what we've heard Tassie is amazing and we are really looking forward to this trip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gday cobber, Try Bay of Fires on the East Coast. Lot's of little spots just off the road and near the beach to park and camp. Voted 2nd best beach in the world a few years back. Also if ya like quaint little towns, try Stanley on the North Coast. Caravan/cabin park right on the beach.
Cheers and enjoy our state.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tips

The last trip that we did was to NZ (home) on a hired BMW which was great ,the roads are so good . So to look at the map it all looks very familiar so thanks for the tips but is 11days of riding long enough ,are there any Tigers on Tassie ?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Have a look at www.ratbags.org.au. They're based in Sth.east Qld, but have members all over the place, including Tassie. The Tassie "branch" also has their own section on the forum - I'm sure they'll be able to help.

Cheers,
Dik.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tassie Trip

A group of eleven on 6 bikes did tassie in March.

Here's our route, hope it helps.

Boat by night to Devonport then an early start on day 1 to Cradle Mountain for Breakfast. North via Hellyer George to Boat Harbour for lunch then on to Stanley with time to climb the Nut. The locals are different in Stanley, especially at the fish and chip shop.

Day 2 Strahan via Burnie, Hampshire a side trip to Savage river and back. Lunch at Roseberry. Back north a little and out to the Reece Dam, Zeehan then Strahan for 2 nights so we could do the boat trip (great) and the train trip (waste of money).

Day 4 Straight to Hobart for 3 nights. layday 1 was a ride to the treewalk and layday 2 a ride to Gordon Dam, both recomended.

Day 7 an easy ride to Bicheno with lunch on the way at Swansea (Great food but lousy attitude at the restaurant looking over the ocean) and a detour to Lake Leake.

Day 8 A late start with lunch at Elephant Pass and then on to Bridport.

Day 9 Straight to Devonport ( I had an inner ear infection by now and could not ride so this was not the planned trip for this day). The planned route ws Launceston, Deloraine, Mole Creek (greatroads again) then Devonport.

Eleven days will give you a good tour of the state. We did not do Port Arthur, Wineglass Bay or Bay of Fires (I'm sure you have to hike to Bay of Fires). There's also a pub called the Pig in The Paddock that is supposed to be good. If you can get another 2-3 days in Tassie you won't be bored.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts