Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all,

I wanted to solicit some advise about getting back on the bike post injury from the ladies and gentlemen (and everyone in between) of this great forum.

Thanksgiving day I broke my ankle playing flag football. Somehow I got tackled and both of our weight hit the side of my ankle, resulting in two broken bones. It was very youtube like, when I stood up my foot was just hanging there. Thankfully no ligament damage.

I have been laid up for 3 weeks now and the only thing keeping me sane is the thought of riding again. Although, I do feel my confidence will be shaken with the stability of my right foot.

Little background, I got my motorcycle license when I was 20 (15yrs ago) and took two 5 plus year breaks from riding. Probably less than 7k under my belt overall, but almost 4k in the past 12 months. Recently, I had a Bonneville and currently have a 2015 Tiger xrx with 1,600 miles on it. My wife and I also recently purchased a Suzuki tu250x for her to learn to ride.

So, in about 10 weeks I should be able to return to riding (maybe earlier if I can sneak out when my wife's at work). I figured I could ride the Suzuki around town for a week or two to build confidence again.

I do plan on getting a new pair of boots with more ankle support. I think this may be more mental, but will help me gain confidence.

Open to anyone's experience or advice.

Thanks for reading a laid up man's ramblings.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
I broke my ankle a couple of years ago in a sporting accident but I only broke the bone on the side of my ankle - read not too bad as far as breaks go.

I was back on the bike as soon as I could but had to take it easy as it was my left (gear change) foot. I was off the bike for 3 weeks and it was sore to change but I just took it slowly.

I think that the main problem will be weight baring because of the height of your Tiger.

Take it easy, you'll know when you are ready.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yes, get a pair of good Sidi boots. Not because you are recovering from an injury, but because good ankle support is very important - as you very well know. I don't ride without my boots even in summer.

Get well soon :)

·
Premium Member
8,628 Posts
Sidi is not the only manufacturer that makes quality boots. But, the point is, EVERY one who rides should be wearing quality boots that offer the best protection for what are fairly delicate, very intricate, and extremely important joints - if you enjoy being able to walk, that is.

I wear either Daytona Roadstar GTX (for commuting and longer rides), or Alpinestar Supertech R (for track days, or when the destination is the windy roads themselves).

While I'm on my soapbox...EARPLUGS! ;)

Good luck and heal quickly and completely.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My issue was my collar bone (broken in two places, plate had to be installed).

Not as bad as a weak ankle as you have at the moment, but the thought of having to emergency brake on a half healed collar bone had me rather worried.

Your thoughts on a boots with extra ankle support sounds like a good start.

If possible, make the first few rides on a dirt bike (maybe someone will let you borrow one if you don't have one???). Dirt bikes are generally light and you won't feel so bad if you decide to bail due to being off balance on a weak ankle (which would likely be my first instinct as soon as I felt the slightest tinge of pain on that ankle).

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I'm assuming you'll be walking before you'll be riding so see how your ankle feels doing that. It's coming on Winter so it wouldn't hurt you to stay off just a bit longer. Don't know if your ankle is broken on the shift side or the brake side but you don't have to have both feet down at once at a stop. I'm betting you're clever enough to figure out what works and what might not when you're riding. It's not a big thing..... once you've healed up.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Even modestly priced boots will help stability a huge amount and help prevent reinjury. Comp. Accessories has some decent ones cheap. Just do yourself a favor and don't ride until you're released. Hard to kick yourself in the ass with a bad ankle.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
+1 on the good boots. I had a touring pair of Sidis that I used at the start. I couldn't push my foot into my Sidi Vertebras as they were way too firm a fit to push my foot into it and my ankle was too swollen

·
Registered
280 Posts
When your doc says you are ready, do a lot of single leg exercises that help with strength, stability and balance. Like step ups, lunges, Bulgarian split squats, etc., with or without weights. Back squats. A trainer or your PT can give you ideas of good safe exercises for coming off an injury. These can be done in a controlled environment and will give you confidence ( and knowledge of what you can and can't do).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the great info and support. Right now I have been riding in a pair of Stylmartin Indian boots. Although they cover the ankle and are super comfortable, they don't offer much ankle protection/ support.

I injured my right ankle. A riding friend was the 1st to point out, atleast it wasn't your shifting foot. I do plan on following the doc's advise, but I put a lot of value in people's experience. For me, it helps me focus on the positives and know I be back on my feet before I know it.

Again thanks to all, and please keep sharing your thoughts and experiences.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It's not just about weight bearing. It's flexion and extension of the joint. Go to physical therapy. Do your exercises and get your range of motion back without pain. Maybe ride your wife's little Suzuki 250 around for a while at first. That bike may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. We also have one and it's a nice light little bike. Of course you'll ride again someday. People come back from far worse injuries. Just don't think it's wise to pick up again right where you left off and hop on the larger heavier Tiger. You'll know when your ready.

·
Premium Member
8,628 Posts
This is me at a track day in April.

I had a total hip replacement (right) in December. Unfortunately, since then I've experienced a complication/setback, but hope to have that sorted soon. Do the therapy, and you'll be right as rain before you know it. Maybe lay off the flag football. It seems that's dangerous. ;)

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Don't worry so much about it. When I crashed my '05 T100, I wasn't hurt except for a cut ankle all the way to the bone. I had really good gear on. Two weeks later I wasn't able to walk perfectly yet but I bought a '08 T100. Within a week I was riding again. Don't sweat the small stuff. Just make sure your ankle is good to go.

Another story, 3 years ago I had a heart attack, had to have triple bypass surgery, when the warm weather came I was back on the bike. It's all in your head, if you think you can do, you can, and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I trashed my lt femur back when in a racing incident, pics showed 17 pieces. Took six months and I was still hobbling around on a stick but had put the race bike back into street trim and tried it out. Biggest fear was putting my foot down and having it give out. Mostly a head thing but you still have to overcome it. Like the others suggest, decent supportive footwear to give you confidence and figure out the stopping and starting thing foot wise. When you stop you can take the weight initially with your good lt foot and then transfer to your right when comfortable so you can work the shifter. Not a bad idea to start on your wife's Suzuki just to get back into the swing of things,
good luck with a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Six moths ago I had major surgery which knocked me out of riding for 3 months. Then I had a motorcycle accident, thanks to an illegal U-turn by a cager, which resulted in a broken elbow and lots of bumps and bruises. That knocked me out from riding for about 6 weeks. Best advice is to just get right back on your horse when you are ready and able. I'm back to riding and it's my mental health therapy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let's start with thank you for all of the support and suggestions.

Today I put 30 miles on the Tiger (1st ride since November 25th). It was amazingly great.

Over the past couple of weeks I rode my wife's tu250x putting roughly 150 miles on it. Once I felt comfortable, I decided it was time to get back on the Tiger. I am looking forward to a great riding year with the majority of work and recovery behind me.

I would recommend to anyone who suffers a similar injury, be patient. I worked up to about 80% strength and 50% flexibility in my ankle before riding at all. Now I am around 90% strength and 70% flexibility. I still have some swelling and pain, nothing significant. Sticking with my pt daily and continuing to build strength and gain flexibility.

I hope no one does, but if you suffer a similar injury please feel free to reach out.

Ride and play sports safely.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Let's start with thank you for all of the support and suggestions.

Today I put 30 miles on the Tiger (1st ride since November 25th). It was amazingly great.

Over the past couple of weeks I rode my wife's tu250x putting roughly 150 miles on it. Once I felt comfortable, I decided it was time to get back on the Tiger. I am looking forward to a great riding year with the majority of work and recovery behind me.

I would recommend to anyone who suffers a similar injury, be patient. I worked up to about 80% strength and 50% flexibility in my ankle before riding at all. Now I am around 90% strength and 70% flexibility. I still have some swelling and pain, nothing significant. Sticking with my pt daily and continuing to build strength and gain flexibility.

I hope no one does, but if you suffer a similar injury please feel free to reach out.

Ride and play sports safely.

:ClapHappy

great progress and awesome post. well done brother.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Good to hear you are up to riding again.

Quick question. Did you get good riding boots for this ride? :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I went with TCX infinity boots. They seem to have a good balance of protection, support, and flexibility.

I tried Alpinestars Toucans, but they were very stiff and I was concerned with not having the flexibility/ strength to operate the rear brake with my healing ankle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts