Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have been fortunate enough to actually see an "R" street triple is the riding position that much more forward leaning than the standard? I know it's a subjective thing but I'm curious. I have ordered a standard in black but for 500 dollars more Canadian for the "R" it seems like a bargin.
If the riding position doesn't put me too much into a racing crouch I may have to rethink.

My local dealer had 4 bikes come in last year and they were in his shop for less than a day before being picked up by the happy customers. So I have not had the pleasure of even seeing one in person.

thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have an R and what I can gather the riding position is pretty identical to a regular. I know the seat is a little higher and the bars are wider, but in terms of lean I think they are the same. Just my guess...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply.
Oddly enough it was the supposedly more aggressive riding position of the "R" that turned me off of it.
I am waiting for surgery for my shoulder and I can't handle the extra pressure or weight transfer.

Anyone ever sat on both of them back to back?

·
Registered
233 Posts
The extra rear ride height comes from the higher swingarm pivot location, which also changes the effective rake angle of the fork. If the rear sag was set correctly on both versions I would imagine the R would end up slightly more forward biased, but it probably has more effect on the handling than the comfort of the seating position, assuming you can touch the ground with your feet.

Zane

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only noticeable difference really is the fact the 'R' saddle has a slight slope is all caused by the slightly longer rear shock with less compress when you sit on it. I did notice that on the ordinary one I had both feet flat on the ground by on the 'R' not quite.

Otherwise just as comfortable for me

Chris

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys, all good info. I have paid off all but 3000 on the bike so the dealer doesn't mind if I switch to the "R".
I have the soupy's lowering link so I'm sure I can adjust the height to that of the standard.
Hopefully both versions will arrive at the same time.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Maybe it's jus me.... maybe, with the passage of time, I am going silly...<shrug>

The whole point of buying a bike like a street triple is that it uses regular old fashioned tube handlebars.

If the ones on the bike when you buy it don't suit you 100% you go down to the local bike store and buy other regular, old fashioned tube handlebars, that are higher/lower/wider/narrower.

You spend trivial amounts of money, and less than an hour of time fitting them, and you get a riding position that suits YOU!

Am I missing something here?

Is Australia the only place in the world with bike shops that still sell tube handlebars?

regards,CrazyCam

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe it's jus me.... maybe, with the passage of time, I am going silly...<shrug>
You might be missing something. While what you say is generally true, it doesn't apply to every bike. Lately I have noticed some bikes are coming from the factory with very little slack in the brake, clutch and switch gear that it is no longer as simple as it used to be.
These items have to be lengthened or replaced. Not so simple any more and not so cheap. The new Buel CR1125 and my Benelli are two that I know of for sure.
As I said I have never seen a Street Triple let alone sat on one so I have no idea as to cable length.

So the question becomes has anyone checked or made this swap to a different bar.

thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi toxic.

Yeah, fair call, you couldn't fit ape hangers all that easily.

There does seem to be a bit of wriggle room on the cables, wiring and brake hose.

I haven't had to do any mods to that area, luckily.

My standard Street Triple got an upgraded shock, which was set at about the length of a Daytona shock, and I still found the bars quite comfy where they came.

Not that that info helps you much.... sorry.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the R has the new optional bar risers as standard. This is to compensate for the additional rake from the slightly taller rear end. So the answer is there should be absolutely no difference in the seating position in the R and the standard Triple.
I thought the R only had different risers due to the 28mm bar diameter (vs the 22mm standard bar)? I'm unfamiliar with any word of more rise to them (the R risers). I thought they were listed as "optional" so as to allow the conversion from std to "fatbar" (28mm) R bar?

·
Super Moderator
4,748 Posts
I thought the R only had different risers due to the 28mm bar diameter (vs the 22mm standard bar)? I'm unfamiliar with any word of more rise to them (the R risers). I thought they were listed as "optional" so as to allow the conversion from std to "fatbar" (28mm) R bar?
Here's a image capture from the UK accessories page. Notice that it says that bar riser is an OE part on the Speed Triple R model. Since there is no such thing as a Speed Triple R I'm pretty sure it was simply a typo and they meant Street Triple R.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have the Renthal Ultra-lows and am totally happy with them (both looks and function). If I didn't have the Renthals...I would certainly get the R bars. The added width center section does look fantastic, IMO! They just look "right" on the Street Triple :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts