Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has nyone had any experience with coming unglued wearing any of the riding (kevlar lined etc.) jeans on the market?

And yes, before anyone says it, I know leather is the way to go. I'm just interested if they work. :huh:

·
Registered
528 Posts
I used to wear leather jeans all the time, but honestly on the street it doesnt matter.

Now, sure people will say you are better off, and jeans are inferior. You know what a car is better off than a motorcycle in an accident.

I use alpinestar jeans, they have pads in the ass and in the knees. Good enough for me, and i don't look like a ghey in muilti color pants. :-D

check out motostrano.com

·
Registered
828 Posts
i wear carhart double lined work jeans...i have down on them once a few years ago.....the double layered knees and thighs came out fine in a 40mph get off.....i would buy them before the 80-90 dollar motorcycle specific jeans...thats me though...cheaper and i can wear them to work and such...

[ This message was edited by: dano on 2007-02-04 21:47 ]

·
Registered
210 Posts
On 2007-02-04 21:43, shiver wrote:
I always where Dragon or shift jeans and lovem
I ve got a pair of Shift jeans.....comparing them to my friends Draggin jeans, the Draggins seem to have a thicker and generous layer of Kevlar in them whereas in my Shift ones its woven into the fabric.

what do you reckon feels stronger Shiver since you own them both?

I use my Shift ones all day at work without any problems or discomfort.

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
A friend of mine had a 'get off' at about 45-50mph with some Icon jeans. Don't ask his opinion. :hammer: He had some nice knee road rash.

·
Registered
973 Posts
This bein Michigan and all, there are'nt many places to buy that stuff, the ridin season bein so short. The one place i found had exactly one pair of Icon hooligan jeans in my size. I could'nt get past the great big Disco star on the arse pocket. I wish i could find a place that had a decent selection.

Might be a good enough reason for an overnight roadtrip with the wife. Anyone know of a place in or Near Michigan?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I used to wear leather jeans all the time, but honestly on the street it doesnt matter.

You won't be saying that after sliding down the road. :hammer:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
On 2007-02-04 23:05, f1eric wrote:
Joe Rocket Steele Jean Black

They will work one time at forty or less. I checked twice.
:???:
Nice to see you back up your testing results, and don't just test one time and call it quits. :wink:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
On 2007-02-05 09:03, Devious2XS wrote:
On 2007-02-04 23:05, f1eric wrote:
Joe Rocket Steele Jean Black

They will work one time at forty or less. I checked twice.
:???:
Nice to see you back up your testing results, and don't just test one time and call it quits. :wink:
Yup, If it can't be repeated its worthless. Can't remember who said that. :-D :razz:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I'm surprised! I felt for sure someone was going to get on the the thread saying that they were complete rubbish, don't waste your money etc. !! :-D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Two things about riding jeans:

1. Padding is cool, bruises suck.
2. Kevlar doesn't do that much with shear force (ie skidding across the pavement). It has fantastic tensile strength, so bullet proof vests and chainsaw chaps are really where it shines.

I came off at 40-50 wearing a pair of Duluth trading jeans and the only problem I had was the front pocket edge rolled over and wore the seam off, so now I have a gaping hole between the edge of the denim and the pocket liner. Other than that, I skidded about 150 ft on my btt with no real wear. I am wearing the jeans in question now. That being said, the riding jeans may be constructed to take that kind of punishment, but normal jeans did me just fine.

I still reccomend to anyone that asks to wear leather, but no one here seems to fight that thought, so good on all of you!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I had a low-side last June at about 35mph. I was wearing those cheap Member's Mark carpenter jeans. They wore through in a couple of spots, but not enough to give me a rash.
Now I wear those Cortech Rider Blues with the knee pads and kevlar knee and butt reinforcement. They're as comfortable as regular jeans, and don't have those ridiculous patches and logos all over them. I'd wear leather, but it's just too hot down here.

BTW - the Cortechs list for about $80, and I found mine on sale for $65. :-D :-D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts