Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new bike and one of the things that concerns me is riding in very hot weather. My current ride, an ancient BMW K75, blows incredible amounts of heat out the right side when in hot weather (110F + is not uncommon when I am commuting home during summers in Tucson AZ). Has anybody with a Striple got any comments on how they treat their rider during very hot weather?

·
Registered
582 Posts
That under-seat exhaust certainly doesn't help in the Houston traffic. Easily adding a fair amount of heat to your butt and legs when stopped but other than that i never have any problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice to hear, I very rarely have any traffic, and it is not uncommon to get home (27 miles from parking lot to garage) without putting a foot down...even with that, at 80MPH on hot days my K75 roasts my leg...

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think any motorcycle will cook you in extreme hot "stop-n-go" traffic. I have the stock high exhausts on my Street and don't think it's any worse than any other bike I've ridden in heat. You will notice it, however, when at a standstill when the fan kicks on. Blows hot air right on your knees/legs. So long as your not still for TOO long...I wouldn't "sweat" it

·
Super Moderator
4,757 Posts
I have worked on BMWs for nearly 13 years and I can tell you without a doubt that the Street is significantly cooler (in more than one way) to ride than a K75. K75 and K100s are incredibly hot in hot weather I have never ridden any other bike that will ever come close to those bikes. An '85 K100RT in 100 plus weather can give you 1st degree burns on your shins if you are wearing shorts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for. I like my K75, but I am getting a bit bored with it...although I have found that riding a slow bike fast is more fun (and less illegal) than riding a fast bike slow...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I live in Phoenix. When the bike is really hot (stop and go traffic on 100+ degree days) my right heel gets a little hot. Other than that it's not any worse than sitting in my jeep in 100+ degree, stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Digging the heat

I have been riding my new striple r in Bangkok for the last few weeks, and its not 110 degrees, but often approaches 100 and humid as hell. I have found that the only time I'm uncomfortable is when I am stuck in traffic, or stopped at the notoriously long red lights here. When I'm moving all is good with the world.

The bikes water cooled system seems to keep the engine happy, but there is no getting away from engine heat radiating when stopped.

Since you have already ridden in AZ, I assume you must have hot weather riding gear- vented jacket, cloves, helmet? I searched high and low here for a light colored quality jacket but ended up with a Triumph raptor jacket in "solar collector" black, as there were no alternatives. Surprisingly, when I am moving the jacket is not a problem even in the direct sun. Rather than riding pants, I opted for some icon strap-on knee/shin guards that fit under loose fitting jeans. Couldn't imaging wearing double pants in this weather! Also got Fox armored undershorts, like bicycle shorts. I like my modular helmet that allows me to lift up the entire chin guard to get more air to my face when stopped. That said, the helmet is the least comfortable- heat wise and is a sweat soaker. fortunately the whole liner snaps out, and mine just went through the washing machine last night!

David

·
Registered
27 Posts
to second having over pants, i have icon arc mesh pants and normally wear them when "commuting" over my jeans or shorts. Today wasn't even that hot but i was overheated personally and took my pants off and wore undies under the mesh pants, totally defeats the purpose of those but whatever.

·
Registered
366 Posts
^ I, also, reccomend using at least a pair of overpants. If you get mesh ones, the air flow is like not even having them on. And even if it's so hot you only wear undies under them...they're still FAR tougher than jeans (and the mesh will actually cool BETTER than jeans, so long as you are moving). I have Scorpion Deuce Pants (part mesh/part textile) and can highly reccomend them. However there are MANY great overpants out there! Do yourself a favor though and get ones with a "full side zip". They are SOOOO much easier/faster to get on and off.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have the Olympia Air Glide II mesh pants. Love them. Tested to 100° last summer and did fine. Also crash-tested them in April at about 45 mph and other than a couple of BB-sized holes here and there, they did great. Other than temps below 50°, I'm just in my Joe-bulgers and leave a couple pair of jeans at work in a locker. When it's cold, I wear a pair of Thermax winter underwear and do fine. My only complaint with them is that the hip armor is not CE-rated. In my crash, my left hip did have a softball-sized bruise, but I don't know if the CE pad would have mattered or not.

I have two jackets. The Triumph Rochester mesh and RS Taichi Team Leather mesh. The Rochester mesh is just a little finer than the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 mesh. Air just blows right through it and it fits nice. It is a "discontinued" Triumph item, but you can still find some at dealers or on EbaY. The RS Tiachi is quality stuff, I bought it as an early b-day present to myself. I need to lose another 5-10 pounds before it is comfortable for me, an incentive to lose weight, lol, because it was $299 on sale. RS Taichi jackets are a tight cut but fit well when sitting on the bike. It will not flow as much air as the Rochester mesh jacket, but is a half leather-half mesh jacket well suited for cooler days like spring and fall.
You are far off better sweating like a pig than to get road rash - please don't let heat prevent you from gearing up!

Neanderthal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts