Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the mid 70's I owned a TS 250 Suzuki road/trail bike that I'd often take out in the spring rain an drift it around the city of Hamilton's streets.

Spring rain in that area was always heavy but not really cold so I'd have a ball sliding around the place an always felt this was just one of the best things in life.

Once I started getting a bit older (in body) and bought progressively more powerfull bikes that sort of carry on stopped and over time I became just another rider that didn't much like the rain.

I eventually moved to Australia and rain was so rare where I lived that if it did rain all the ducks were in danger of drowning because their mums hadn't taught then how to swim yet,plus I rode HD by then so we simply didn't do any of that rain stuff anyway.

I came home in 2000 and carried on as you do,but rain was still something to be avoided if possible.

So we come to this morning and it's my one day off this week,but it's bloody raining.

Well to bad about that because I'm still going for a ride anyway.

I head the 30kms into town an drop around to visit a couple of mates that have more days off than I do, so I end up heading of into the dull gray yonder by myself.

I do the local back road loop and do feel the back end twitch a time or two but nothing to really worry about.

Come back into town and head for home,picking up the pace a bit as we go because this is MY ROAD ya' see.

Then a few of K's out and I see a set of head lights back in the mist, and he's closing fast.

Few Kiwi's seem to know what a following distance is now days and they also tend to operate under the idea that if you push somebody hard enough then they''ll get out of your way, an this was one of those prats driving a late model Subaru WRX.

Well I can also be a stubborn SOB at times so I just thought "lets see if this guy can actually drive"'.

Yeah I know "dumb SOB as well" but the blood was up an I wasn't pulling over for this %^&#,,,so I open her up an sure enough he's hard on my tail again in seconds.

I lived out here for about 5 years before I went to OZ an I rode the road most every day back then and a lot more since I returned in 2000,so I now know the road as well as I'm ever going to.

The first few corners were a bit hairy and the rain was getting heavier but I did notice the WRX was losing a little ground on each corner.

He simply couldn't touch me at the start of the straights but came on hard an fast as we got to the ends of them.

So I start to get off the bike a little track style in the corners and push a lot harder at the beginnings of the straights before bleeding off speed as I set her up for the next corner.

I don't touch the brakes at any stage,just holding the pace and maintaining the drive as smoothly as I can.

We do get a bit of drift on coming out of some corners and I do feel the fear,but I suck it in an continue to feather it as the bike helps me out.

By the time we're three kms from home we drop into what's called Saw Mill gully and I know that if he's really going to try taking me this is where it's going to happen as it's 2.5 kms over all an dead straight down hill for the first 1.5 before it heads back up to the main ridge.

I check the mirror which I haven't done for a few kms now,,,,,and relax,,because this guy can't drive after all an he's now way back at the top of the drop off as we hit the bottem of the gully.

I turn off into the side road at the top and stop just in time to watch him go past.
Then when he flips me the bird as he goes by,I can't help but chuckle to myself.

A Subaru WRX vs a middle aged guy on am older triple.
Really ?
The guy should of destroyed me.

Riding in the rain huh:D

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
The guy in the WRX was a friend of your mate's that you visited. Your mate remembered just after you left his house that he owed you a bit of dough and wanted to pay you back but his car was broke down. Fortunately his buddy Bruce who owns a WRX that he just purchased and was getting used to driving it dropped by just as you left and offered to catch up to you and hand over the cash. Oh well...maybe next visit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like you could have destroyed yourself without any of his help. Hope that you make it to old age.
Yeah, that thought was never far away.

But some people say much the same when they hear I love surfing the big swells 5km off shore in my ocean Kayak or my walking the high mountain ridges by myself.

Of course I have no idea how serious your words really are,but I do intend to carry on living my life until I die and I feel doing so just keeps me that much closer to god.

All respect.
ED.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
lol, yer a real nutcase Earthdog - good on ya :thumb

And keep your long stories coming, I for one really enjoy reading them especially on a boring Saturday or Sunday morning.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You were enjoying yourself keep it up,i've had some lively rides silly overtakes a bit of white lining,then when i get home and think about the buzz, would i do it again, hell yes.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Well either you're a schit hot rider or the rain blurred your vision and you were being chased by a nurse on her way to work in a Morris Minor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice story

Earthdog, thanks for the great story. Enjoyed it very much. Your mention of the TS250 caught my eye. I had a TS185 when I was in college. Rode many miles on that little bike. Had a bit a of a tranny problem though, had a couple gears missing teeth. About every two months the gears must have lined up just right and no matter what, it wasn't moving. Got to where I could pull the engine, split the cases, right on the kitchen table, and have in back in the bike and running in right at an hour. Sorry for the hijack. Keep living life my friend.:doublethumb

·
Premium Member
7,028 Posts
well written E. Almost felt like I was there :)

I don't think you are on your Pat Malone, despite my claims of growing maturity that befit my age - it doesn't take that much for the 19 year old immortal to reappear every now and then to make a mockery of my supposed maturity and sense :D

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Maturity ends when the red mist descends.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts