Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... now (temporarily) legal in London thanks to Mayor Boris Johnson.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7811062.stm

Everyday I ride in the bus lane along Finchley Road, its great until you catch up with a bus....

Anyone know how to identify TfL bus lanes? I can foresee lots of opportunities to get it wrong and thus get clobbered by local politburos and their spy cameras?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
In Norway it's legal to ride in buslanes :)
One of the advantages of bikes. But it pays to be extra careful, as cagers sometimes decide to pull into the buslane illegally.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I thought all bus lanes in London were TfL these days? I used to ride to work before 7:00am, when you could use the bus lanes with impunity. To be honest, found it a bit of a double edged sword. Cagers are even less likely to be looking on the near-side for a bike, and many bikers continued to lane-split down the middle of the road ignoring the bus-lanes, so the few cagers that would be looking out for bikes would have their eye on the other wing-mirror.
And if they did see you, they were even less likely to let you back in to the traffic stream.
Also the fumes belching from the back of buses were the worst...!

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Motorcycles and cycles can use bus-lanes in NZ unless they are specifically marked 'Buses Only'

It's a good idea to get the two wheels out of the main traffic stream.

---------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Anyone know how to identify TfL bus lanes? I can foresee lots of opportunities to get it wrong and thus get clobbered by local politburos and their spy cameras?
It applies to all (and only to) Red Route bus lanes. You can get a list from TFL here but each bus lane should also be marked to show which vehicles are permitted.

·
Registered
347 Posts
One of the reasons I bought a bike was to ride in bus lanes (I'm in Bristol and have always been allowed, tee hee).

They are a blessing, avoiding filtering between rows of cars or towards oncoming traffic. The obviously come with their own hazards:

• Left-turners (UK) not checking their mirrors when turning left
  • Cars coming out of side roads not looking in the bus lane for traffic that isn't a bus
  • Cars pulling into the bus lane to avoid a right turner and not checking mirrors
  • Diesel!
As ever, it's down to observation!

It's long, long overdue in London, so enjoy it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts