Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back after 4 days on the road through southern B.C. and northern Wash State. The Good: Unbelievable handling in the twisties,quiet engine with plenty of oomph,smooth ,smooth ,smooth,just alot of fun to ride.There's a sport bike hidden under all that plastic.I love that.Thebad: Seat too narrow.I think my butt crack is now the width of the seat.Windscreen is poor.I actually cut mine down about 6 inches which is an improvement but I still think I will cut it down another 2 so my head is in clean air.Riding my friend's unfaired bike was much quieter.Small flimsey cases compared to my BMW.The chain drive is messy and their was alot of oil residue on the bottom of my case unbeknownst to me which stained the bed in the hotel I stayed at.Was a bit cranky to start at times when cold.None of these issues are deal breakers mind you.All in all it was a great time and my buddies were very impressed with it on the rare instance they could get it away from me.:D

·
Registered
348 Posts
Corbin seat. It's a saddled-style.
Bag liners. Eliminates taking the hard cases off and keeps any leakage off what's packed.
Either go shorter or taller on the shield. Cutting is free a Clearview is not.
Is yours a Three or Four?

Carry on!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Corbin seat. It's a saddled-style.
Bag liners. Eliminates taking the hard cases off and keeps any leakage off what's packed.
Either go shorter or taller on the shield. Cutting is free a Clearview is not.
Is yours a Three or Four?

Carry on!
I actually have a corbin but did not put it on because my wife prefers the stocker and I didn't bother to change it.As for the windshield,I experimented with taller by fabbing up some lexan and bolting it on to the stocker.I decided that although it was quieter,I didn't like looking through glass.This was especially true when sport riding aggressively.My Trophy is a 1200.I've had it 4 weeks and put 2500kms on it already.

·
Registered
338 Posts
netmaker

Try the Dupont teflon chain lube. Review the Daylong seat for the Trophy. Review the Laminar lip for the windscreen. If the weather cool, and engine a bit reluctant to catch, try turning the fuel tap to prime. Not noticed the cases issue but mine always packed with wet gear / first aid package / tyre inflater cannister / maps / warm windbreak clothing / small tool pouch / chain lube spray/ so weight tends to keep them stable.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Before you spend big money on a new seat, try a sheepskin pad. I use one and it gives me another hour of riding, also stand up every so often, it's good for the circulation!
If you are a member of the 'Yahoo Trophy group', (it's free, and has some knowledgeable folks) have a look in 'files', then 'Aerofoil by Rod'.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TriumphTrophy/files/
I was the first to do this screen mod and it works, Rod followed and did a good write up with pictures.
This is what he wrote about the aerofoil:

*(quote) Mick U R a Star!
Guys, I made a screen similar to Micks, Cost of parts £7.73: Perspex 3 mm off
ebay Smoked darker than stock not colour matched as earlier comment, 4 kitchen
cabinet L brackets, 4 x 6mm nylock nuts & bolts, 8 x number plate plastic nuts
& bolts. Took one Hour to make including heating perspex with hot air gun into a
curve. Like Mick lucky first time round success! Mine is adjustable for height
and pitch but what the hell ,why bother, talked to my wife without intercom at
50 mph, whats that all about?
What a transformation. Will post pics and instructions too, then we have 2 to go
for!
Seriously I am absolutely mind smacked.
Mick J Ormerod You are brilliant, notice you have a rod in your name, there you
go!
Any one who wants to buy expensive bits & bobs take heed, this works.
Rod UK (unquote)*

Trophymick

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before you spend big money on a new seat, try a sheepskin pad. I use one and it gives me another hour of riding, also stand up every so often, it's good for the circulation!
If you are a member of the 'Yahoo Trophy group', (it's free, and has some knowledgeable folks) have a look in 'files', then 'Aerofoil by Rod'.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TriumphTrophy/files/
I was the first to do this screen mod and it works, Rod followed and did a good write up with pictures.
This is what he wrote about the aerofoil:

*(quote) Mick U R a Star!
Guys, I made a screen similar to Micks, Cost of parts £7.73: Perspex 3 mm off
ebay Smoked darker than stock not colour matched as earlier comment, 4 kitchen
cabinet L brackets, 4 x 6mm nylock nuts & bolts, 8 x number plate plastic nuts
& bolts. Took one Hour to make including heating perspex with hot air gun into a
curve. Like Mick lucky first time round success! Mine is adjustable for height
and pitch but what the hell ,why bother, talked to my wife without intercom at
50 mph, whats that all about?
What a transformation. Will post pics and instructions too, then we have 2 to go
for!
Seriously I am absolutely mind smacked.
Mick J Ormerod You are brilliant, notice you have a rod in your name, there you
go!
Any one who wants to buy expensive bits & bobs take heed, this works.
Rod UK (unquote)*

Trophymick
As a matter of fact I was going to look into a sheepskin cover.There is a lady at one of our local malls that makes them up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts