Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since I have made my desicion on how to begin as far as a bike goes (with much help for you guys), now I am looking at gear. Of course I want a helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots (already have several pair of Dr Martins/style boot)

There are so many choices and so much to wade through. Helmet I know is a fit thing, just have to find a place in Houston that has a good selection in stock to try. Jackets, since I live in Houston I need a good summer jacket, its most summer here for those of you that dont know, and this year has been a really hot one.

I prefere real leather for whatever reason, cant say why. My furniture is leather, the seats in my car are leather. Most all my winter jackets are leather. Maybe its the smell... anyway the

JOE ROCKET SONIC 2.0 PERFORATED LEATHER JACKET

Looks like a good summer skin. Thoughts on this particular jacket, leather vs tech or any other infor you may care to add.

I did a search for this jacket in the reviews section and nothing came up...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
As much as I loved my Doc Martin's back in the day, I don't think they are great motorcycle footwear ( I know there will be plenty who disagree ) and here is why...they have exposed laces that can catch on a footpeg, shift or brake lever. You put your foot out, the laces catch, your first zero speed tipover...

There are plenty of motorcycle-specific boots that you can walk in ( although I wouldn't wear them all day ) that have a strap that covers the laces. Alternately, gaff tape ( not duct tape, too sticky ) wrapped around would work as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive been reading all morning.. found that review early on.. friend of mine just told me even the perf leather is too hot for houston, he says mesh all the way. Highly recommends an alter ego 3.0 Says it would pretty much cover the whole year here in Houston...

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Unfortunately, no amount of perforation will make a leather jacket as comfortable as mesh. Thus you have to balance the reduced abrasion resistance of mesh with its greater comfort. My personal experience wearing leather here in Southern California is that its lack of breathability can be downright dangerous in very hot weather. I recommend that you consider mesh for summer wear and save the leather for winter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, thats what I am gathering. If mesh is the way, then its the way. I can just get my leather fix in my car... LOL

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Hybrid gear (i.e. combination leather and textile) is a good compromise too. I have a Joe Rocket Supermoto jacket and pants that I like and a Ducati hybrid jacket that works well. Neither of them is nearly as comfortable in really hot weater as mesh, so mesh jackets and pants are my standard summer gear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As much as I loved my Doc Martin's back in the day, I don't think they are great motorcycle footwear ( I know there will be plenty who disagree ) and here is why...they have exposed laces that can catch on a footpeg, shift or brake lever. You put your foot out, the laces catch, your first zero speed tipover...

There are plenty of motorcycle-specific boots that you can walk in ( although I wouldn't wear them all day ) that have a strap that covers the laces. Alternately, gaff tape ( not duct tape, too sticky ) wrapped around would work as well.
I see lots of riding boots/shoes that are lace up. THey all have a way to "contain" the tied laces. So cant a tuck of the laces do the same thing?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I, of course, wear nothing but Dainese from head to toe.

This doesn't help the OP, obviously, but I've waited my entire riding life to say that, and now I can thanks to ebay. Go me!

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I have both mesh and perforated leather jackets. I admit, the mesh is cooler, but I don't think I trust it at interstate speeds. So if I'm on the interstate, the perforated leather stuff goes on. If I'm not, I go with the mesh. I just got a Technique cooling vest and wish I had gotten it sooner. It is very helpful.

However yesterday I did get caught in a 3 hour traffic jam on the interstate and got hot, despite it being the coolest day we've had in a month. Such is life though as those kinds of things don't happen that often around here. It doesn't hurt to always carry water bottles with you. I almost always do. Yes, we were sitting still for so long, I could take off my full face helmet and drink water!

They do make hydration bladders for tank bags or Camelback backpacks with a long tube that you can drink from with a helmet on. With the heat in Texas that would be a worthwhile investment to stay hydrated.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I have the boots that go over the heal and ones that are half way up the leg.

Tourmaster Epic jacket and the matching overpants for touring.

Within 150km (fun riding for a few hours locally), leather jacket with great vents and jeans (boots, gloves etc)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts