Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 356 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started working from home 2 weeks ago, so not riding to work, but I have been going out on the weekends. I don't come in contact, but I do worry about if something dose happen and I have too visit a hospitalo_O
Anyone else riding whose community (almost everyone) is in the quarantine mode?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I don\t usually think about crashing when I ride beyond normal caution but I admit to thinking I really don't want to wind up in a hospital now for any reason, least of all because I overcooked a corner and need screws in my scapula. That would and should be embarrassing. I have a habit of mid-April insuring and haven't felt the need to push that forward under these circumstances, but soon I'll be riding.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've gone for a few rides when it's necessary to make a run for supplies that can fit in my Givi trunk. I've noticed something that's made me reconsider, however. This may be localized to my area in Southern California, it may not. When the lockdown first started, I noticed that drivers were strangely more polite. Almost like a "we're all in this together" attitude. People were watching their speed, signaling, and leaving good space between cars.

Within the last week or so, however, I've seen a change for the worse. People driving more aggressively and more erratically. As products like toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies and other things are becoming harder to find, it looks like people are darting from store to store, getting more frantic. Yesterday, I saw people come screeching out of a Walmart parking lot, drive a block, slam on their brakes, and whip into a Target parking lot. Today, crossing a street in a crosswalk, I was nearly run down by someone who ran a red light.

I hope this doesn't get progressively worse. I'm very much on my guard right now, and hope we all stay safe.

·
3,078 Posts
I only ride to and from our bakery. That's my story, officer. I maybe take the (very) long way home on occasion. So far here, motorists are being polite.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
525 Posts
Do you not have a ‘ Stay at Home ‘ order in place?
You can use your bike here but not outwith the reasons outlined .

·
Registered
500 Posts
I am classed as a key worker, so I still get to ride to everyday. I have just come out of 14 day period of self isolation as one my housemates was told to do this by his manager. All totally safe, so ai can enjoy the almost 100% traffic free streets of London. Commute time (even for the long route) has been reduced down from 20/25 mins to just 15!

Outside of this, I have been going to supermarkets much further away to do my grocery shopping just so I can enjoy more saddle time. My closest supermarket is maybe 2 miles away, but I've been going to ones 10-15 miles away. Again, much less traffic has made the rides quite quick, but I have not worried about having an accident anymore than I normally would.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've gone for a few rides when it's necessary to make a run for supplies that can fit in my Givi trunk. I've noticed something that's made me reconsider, however. This may be localized to my area in Southern California, it may not. When the lockdown first started, I noticed that drivers were strangely more polite. Almost like a "we're all in this together" attitude. People were watching their speed, signaling, and leaving good space between cars.

Within the last week or so, however, I've seen a change for the worse. People driving more aggressively and more erratically. As products like toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies and other things are becoming harder to find, it looks like people are darting from store to store, getting more frantic. Yesterday, I saw people come screeching out of a Walmart parking lot, drive a block, slam on their brakes, and whip into a Target parking lot. Today, crossing a street in a crosswalk, I was nearly run down by someone who ran a red light.

I hope this doesn't get progressively worse. I'm very much on my guard right now, and hope we all stay safe.
I`m with you around here in SoCal, so I`ve put riding on the back burner for now. I don`t want to end up at the hospital for any reason right now, so that sits in the back of my head and effects how I ride. I see more and more erratic driving. If you`re in town, people are mostly out just to get supplies. Frustration is setting in, due to lines and limited supplies of certain items. Jumping from place to place looking for what`s still available. People are driving crazy speeds on the wide open freeways, still completely distracted when doing it.
As much as I want to ride right now, I`m just not feeling the groove. Hopefully, I do soon. I gotta ride.

Anyone got some paper towels and toilet paper they can ship to me?:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
We just got the official shelter in place this week. Its pretty toothless tho. You can golf? You can fish? I'm following a local forum to see if anyone gets pulled. Its only a misdemeanor at this point, so not that worried. I just don't see how a ride alone in the country causes any concern, aside from the above mentioned hospital thing. I admit I hadn't thought about that but I'm pretty cautious as I'm only just back to riding and the bonny is new to me.

·
Registered
500 Posts
In the UK they've said you can leave your house once a day for exercise. Also allowed is essential travel (to get food/medical supplies). Or, if you cannot work from home, then travel to work is also ok.

I was going to try and suggest riding a motorcycle is exercise (working the core and grip strength). Think that could be a passable excuse???

·
3,078 Posts
Anyone got some paper towels and toilet paper they can ship to me?:)
Sure man. I have a roll of Charmin Ultra Soft for the title to your bike ;-)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Exercise here in Ireland must be within 2km of your home. Only time will tell but it’s seems to be working and will hopefully help alleviate severe pressure on the health system.

·
Registered
444 Posts
We just got the official shelter in place this week. Its pretty toothless tho. You can golf? You can fish? I'm following a local forum to see if anyone gets pulled. Its only a misdemeanor at this point, so not that worried. I just don't see how a ride alone in the country causes any concern, aside from the above mentioned hospital thing. I admit I hadn't thought about that but I'm pretty cautious as I'm only just back to riding and the bonny is new to me.
Why do you think that taking a joy ride on your bike is any different from doing the same in your car? ?

Chico

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
In the UK they've said you can leave your house once a day for exercise. Also allowed is essential travel (to get food/medical supplies). Or, if you cannot work from home, then travel to work is also ok.

I was going to try and suggest riding a motorcycle is exercise (working the core and grip strength). Think that could be a passable excuse???
Dirt bike riding is for sure a major workout. While I definitely get some good exercise when street riding, I might have a hard time keeping a straight face attempting to explain that to a law enforcement officer. Let us know if you have any conversations with Bobbies in London!

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
A ride with PPE (helmet, gloves, boots, leather jacket) the long way from my garage to my garage can't possibly spread the virus. I'd like to experience the gloriously empty roads a few times. I acknowledge that if one has an accident, it's not a good time to go to hospital.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
The thing is you can be totally asymptomatic and still be carrying the virus. Governments can only give out numbers of those that have been tested. It's possible that within a community or region at least 50% could be infected.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why do you think that taking a joy ride on your bike is any different from doing the same in your car? ?

Chico
I don't? If I'm in contact with no one its far safer than going to the store. I'm work from home so no contact with anyone but family.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I’m postponing my riding for now..the admittedly slim but still real possibility of ending up in the ER-even for something minor-here in the NYC area is honestly very frightening. Hospitals are at the breaking point already, and the staff are very scared. They are being forced to do things that would have gotten them fired only a few weeks ago. They don’t have proper PPE, many of them are already sick, and some have already died. I don’t want to put any more of a burden on the system than there already is, nor do I want to expose myself to that environment (or to any more people than absolutely necessary, considering I might be carrying the virus without even knowing it). People in other parts of the country might not have a sense of what it’s like here, but trust me, it’s bad. And it’s still far from as bad as it’s probably gonna get. Be careful out there!

1 - 20 of 356 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.