Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will be in DC for a week.

I have troubles finding right size of clothing for my 195 cm of height (and 86 kg of weight).

Also, clothes look to be cheaper in the US too.

Any major stores a total stranger in DC (and US for that matter, but with a navi installed on a smartphone) you would recommend.

Ideally I would like to try clothes out and buy from stock, rather than order.

many thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Are you asking about moto gear? or general clothing?

There are a very few places to try on gear and for the ones that are closest to the city I would recommend trying on and then buying from the Internet. In store prices are ridiculous.

I live and travel in the area, please feel free to PM if you have other questions.

·
Registered
632 Posts
There are a few online, stores, most if not all carry a good selection of riding gear, so do your homework. Once you find a store you can have the items shipped to your hotel or where ever you are planning to be.
Revzilla is in PA so shipping may be quick to DC.

I like leather personally, but todays textile is very good.
For fit, and this is only my experience, Tourmaster is made for people with big bellies. I find Scorpion and First Gear has a more slim fit.

I have yet to try a brand called Built, sold at "Cyclegear.com" but the price seems good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
+1 for Revzilla. Their return/exchange policy is excellent in case you need a different size.

Be EXTRA careful riding in DC. Drivers there seem more aggressive and distracted than anywhere else I've ridden. There are also speed cameras all over the place. Lane splitting is LEGAL though I've been stopped for it. Radar detectors are ILLEGAL.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dc isn't too bad to ride in if you assume everyone is trying to kill you. There is a store called Coleman's power sports and they have a decent stock and price match to online prices. So find something you want in the store. Google it and price match. No ordering and same price.

Lane splitting is legal? I didn't know that but doubt I will. People like to switch lanes randomly without looking while they are stopped.

Other helpful apps for your phone is parkmobile and you can pay for parking online where there are stickers.

Not sure what your tourists plans are but hit me up if you want ideas. I go to school in dc and live in the area. If you have half a day to spare then skyline drive is a pretty good drive. Anyway good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Dc isn't too bad to ride in if you assume everyone is trying to kill you. There is a store called Coleman's power sports and they have a decent stock and price match to online prices. So find something you want in the store. Google it and price match. No ordering and same price.

Lane splitting is legal? I didn't know that but doubt I will. People like to switch lanes randomly without looking while they are stopped.

Other helpful apps for your phone is parkmobile and you can pay for parking online where there are stickers.

Not sure what your tourists plans are but hit me up if you want ideas. I go to school in dc and live in the area. If you have half a day to spare then skyline drive is a pretty good drive. Anyway good luck and stay safe.
I've lived and worked here for over three decades. If you're a city rider you shouldn't have a problem. Drivers here allow less following distance than other cities I've ridden in but beside that city is city. If you are not a city rider then plan to public trans or cage, DC isn't the place to try it out.

Colman Powersports is probably the closest store with more that six items. A good place to try stuff on but their prices are high and the sales staff is criminal.

Filtering (not splitting) is legal in the District but illegal in Maryland and Virginia. I will only do it in stopped traffic and then very carefully with feet down ready to stop. Cagers at lights will suddenly open their doors to 'catch you cheating'. I also ride with a helmet cam to settle those 'who did what, when' disputes.

There is dedicated motorcycle metered parking. Metered car parking is usually between 15 minutes and two hours and can cost up to .50 per 15 minutes. Dedicated moto parking is worth finding as most of it will allow you to park around the clock only having to pay while the meter is in effect, often at about .50 per hour. Be careful, if you use the 'pay by phone' app it will charge you at car rates even though you park a moto in a moto space.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow, I knew this forum is great and I also always got help and advice from its members on my street triple questions, but I was really unsure what kind of response I would get from this more "personal" or "human" question!

Thank you very much for all the answers - I will start google-ing and google-mapping the stores now.

I knew that internet prices are better, but the reason I was asking about in-store is because I will be in DC for one week only (and even though some stores deliver to hotel) - there will be no time probably to exchange an unsuitable item.

And yes, I am thinking motogear when I say clothing.

During the day I will be at 875 Fifteenth St NW and the hotel is on 1199 Vermont Avenue, NW - so ideally I will be looking to something easily accessible from these locations (on foot or public transport)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately I will not be riding in DC - as I am only coming for one week and it is work related.

But will keep in mind your advices on traffic when crossing the street :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hmm, there's also Clinton Cycles in Camp Springs, MD. They used to be a Triumph dealer but I think they aren't as of the last year or so. They always had a decent amount of clothing, Triumph brand and otherwise.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Hmmm.....riding in Washington.....Body Armour and an M-16 sounds more appropriate!

And earplugs for protection against political rhetoric.....

Derswede

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, there's also Clinton Cycles in Camp Springs, MD. They used to be a Triumph dealer but I think they aren't as of the last year or so. They always had a decent amount of clothing, Triumph brand and otherwise.
12 miles from my hotel - worth a try! many thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Oh, one more thought. Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD isn't at all close to you but they have lots of clothing. They carry the better brands so they're a bit expensive, but I've found last-year's clothing on sale a couple of times. If you were going to make the trek out that way, the Cycle Gear and Bob's stores are only six miles apart.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Orrrr, how about you get on cyclegear.com now, order a bunch of stuff and have it delivered to the hotel before you even get there. Then try everything on and what you don't like you can return in person to the Cycle Gear in Laurel. A logistical problem, to be sure, but it could work. OK sorry, too much coffee!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm at GW during the day which is like 4 blocks west of where you will be. Let me know if you wanna meet up for lunch or something. If you don't have a vehicle Clinton cycles will be hard to get to and Coleman's requires either a little bit of walking from the subway or a bus. Are you gonna be here for a weekend? Depending on which Saturday I may be able to give ya a ride somewhere. Let me know what's up.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, one more thought. Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD isn't at all close to you but they have lots of clothing. They carry the better brands so they're a bit expensive, but I've found last-year's clothing on sale a couple of times. If you were going to make the trek out that way, the Cycle Gear and Bob's stores are only six miles apart.
it is 24 miles away, but I really wanted to get to a BMW Motorrad store - I have a couple of their clothing items and I really like them.

last year items is probably the way to go on BMW gear, as it is so expensive otherwise :eek:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm at GW during the day which is like 4 blocks west of where you will be. Let me know if you wanna meet up for lunch or something. If you don't have a vehicle Clinton cycles will be hard to get to and Coleman's requires either a little bit of walking from the subway or a bus. Are you gonna be here for a weekend? Depending on which Saturday I may be able to give ya a ride somewhere. Let me know what's up.
thank you, I will let you know once I have my agenda approved.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If it doesn't work out with ArkansasDave let me know. I have a very flexible/erratic schedule, not Mon-Fri at all, and might be able to help with a ride or such.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts