Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any riding topics relating to riding skills or techniques both on and off the track that you wish someone would write about? If you could ask a writer to write ANY riding related article, what would it be and why?

·
Premium Member
2017 T120 Black
452 Posts
For on track, I would like you to write about passing and getting passed. Perhaps with some examples.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For on track, I would like you to write about passing and getting passed. Perhaps with some examples.
This is a great idea! Can you elaborate a little bit more, like what exactly would you like to know? How to pass easily? What prevents people from passing, how to stay relaxed while being passed? That kind of thing?

·
Premium Member
2017 T120 Black
452 Posts
OK,

1. How to maintain a good line while passing someone in a turn/what type of line to take

2. What prevents people from passing and how to stay relaxed sounds good

3. How to pass easily would be very nice

I find that when I want to pass someone, I often end up following them for a bit, because I don't want to screw up my line in the turn, and I am worried they may cut across me. I mean the fastest way through the curve is usually some type of outside-inside-outside path, so does that mean you try to pass on the inside? Except what if that person is going to come real close to the inside of the track just as you are trying to pass. It's hard to predict that and figure out the right time to do it. I know experience will help a lot, but I thought it might be good to just get some insight from you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent questions. Let's talk about passing!

Let's look at question number 2 first. What prevents people from passing- well you mentioned it when you talked about what happens when you try and pass sometimes, that you end up following the rider for a bit. What does that mean you are looking at? Where has your attention gone? Just think about that for a moment.

Second, you mention different lines for passing. It feels a bit daunting to think about altering your line (or the good line) in order to make a pass. Most people ride around on the track doing the same lines over and over again. What if you had experience taking different lines around the track, would that make it easier to attempt passes? What if you knew exactly how the bike would react and what the corner would feel like if you had approached it from different lines and angles before? What if you had taken a tight inside line several times, would that give you more confidence?

Has anyone ever tried riding the track taking different lines and experimenting with how different approaches alter your line going in and out? How might this help with passing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts