Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fairly young policeman was riding his personal motorcycle to work at a Birmingham, Ala., suburb Sunday. A deer ran out in front of him and he hit it, then two cars ran over him. Needless to say, he was killed.

How's that for a tragedy?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Here in MD there are very few times that I ride at night when I do not see those shiny eyes of death. No natural predators + hunting license sales down 35% = bad juju for motorbike riders. Whisperinsmith you are right the last time was a hit and run - they did catch the kid though - he said he didn't realize he had hit anything - sad:(

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I didn't catch the article but was told it was at about 6 in the morning right near two very large heavily traveled roads. I was also told the article said he was hit by two cars that were following closely.

I imagine those are two people that will never tailgate a motorcycle again. Too bad they had to learn the hard way.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
This reminds me of that guy in Oklahoma who was struck by lighting while riding his motorcycle and died as a result of the crash...

There was another guy who was struck while riding and lived! :eek:

I don't know about anyone else's philosophy on life and/or death but to me, if I get struck with a bolt of lightning while I'm riding my motorcycle, it was clearly my time...

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
That would have to make you think twice the next time you went to throw your leg over - Ouch
...or, at the very least, make you an more proactive viewer of the Weather Channel... ;)

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Heck up in Maine it could be a lot worse....you could hit a Moose! That is like hitting a horse with horns....:skeptical::unsure:

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
True, but with a moose, if you tuck in low enough, you might just clear the belly of the beast and receive nary a scratch!

We should cross-breed our deer with giraffes. :p

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
if I get struck with a bolt of lightning while I'm riding my motorcycle, it was clearly my time...
I am not so sure 5.

There is less than no chance that it would happen again, unless of course he is a motorcycling, lightning conductor rod salesman!! :)

What's that flash (again)!! :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Then there were the two folks here in New Hamsta for Bike Week last year(?), riding up through the White Mountains, two up. It was a clear but windy day. They went around a curve, and a branch fell off a tree, and hit the bike. He didn't put the bike down, but it was the branch that killed her, not the fall off the back...

Talk about it being your time to go....

Scud

·
Registered
828 Posts
This reminds me of that guy in Oklahoma who was struck by lighting while riding his motorcycle and died as a result of the crash...

There was another guy who was struck while riding and lived! :eek:

I don't know about anyone else's philosophy on life and/or death but to me, if I get struck with a bolt of lightning while I'm riding my motorcycle, it was clearly my time...

there was one that happened between Denver and Boulder Colorado a few years back. this might be the same story. this one stuck in my head because i knew the area that he was hit on. i used to live in Boulder. it hit him so hard it blew out the tire and blew a hole in the pavement, i can still see the hole in the pavement in my head.....mother nature sure is powerful...

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
At least when you're in Deer country, you know to keep your eyes peeled, the same as we do here in Oz with Roo's.
It's worse when you think you're in safe teritory, like fenced farming country, as it can really take you out of your comfort-zone, when something happens.
I had a close encounter with a young Heifer on the Atherton Tablelands last week, when I spooked her with my TB pipes, & she bolted from behind a bush right in front of me.
I had to lock the whole bike up, & went past the young bovine sideways.
I was close enough to have given it a slap on the rump, but I was too busy surviving.
Sure snapped me out of my day-dream though.
& I've lost my trust in fences.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I checked further into the story of the policeman. Lovel is right. It was about 6 a.m. The off-duty officer was going in early on Sunday morning. His intention was to relieve the third-shift guys so they could spend a little more time with their families on Sunday. The victim left behind five kids and a 32-year-old widow.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've had more close calls with cows than anything, and i've seen a cow take a car at 55 roll over a few times and walk away!! Granted it died later, but I don't want to hit one!

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I passed a cow standing in the road one night. I was doing 120mph in my little toyota. It was a very enlightening experience. I lost a little respect for the fences at that time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
At least when you're in Deer country, you know to keep your eyes peeled, the same as we do here in Oz with Roo's.
I agree Scratcher - but you don't have to go too far out of the city here to be seeing some fair sized roos - especially at night. I've hit one in the car and God help anyone that hits one on a bike.

I worked out bush a few years back and used to dodge packs of the bloody things sitting on the road. I want to do some distance rides but this is one of the things that worries me.

Went on a short ride tonight and nearly took out 2 hares. Even they freaked me out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts