Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

not sure if people outside Australia have seen the news regarding a major storm that raged thru South-East Queensland on Sunday:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24668322-421,00.html

Thought I'd write up a ride report, as I was riding thru the storm on my Sprint.

Afternoon started at 2.00pm, met with a couple of mates at a village called Petrie. It was one of those "where will we go then?" rides, I suggest Mt Mee as it's pretty much always a good ride through to Woodford. Ride up is great, we meet a 79 year old fella at the lookout who inspired us all (riding a GPX250 - "Why would I need more speed?") then on to Woodford for a coffee.

About 4.00pm, time to leave. The others had to get home quick so planned to cut through to the freeway - me, I can't resist the ride back over the mountain. Mt Mee is an excellent spot for riding a bike - good roads, great twisties, best spot in the area IMO.

Anyway, as we're leaving Woodford, I note that the sky is looking a bit darker, but don't think too much of it. Out of Woodford there's a lovely bit of twisty road up to the lookout, I'm really in the zone and flying up (personnally, I prefer going up a mountain to coming down it). As I leave the twisty section and traverse the lookout area, the size of the storm hits home - this thing is big, real big. Thick black thundery cloud rolling over the hills beyond Mt Mee, and electric. Lightening is zapping the ground across the entire vista - I start thinking maybe I should turn back. But I'm now out in the country and there's really nowhere to go, best get my head down and get home ASAP.

As I begin descending the mountain, I start getting a bit more concerned. Lightening is now close - way too close. A couple of strikes come close to the road, I see a tree literally burst into flames not 20 metres from the side of the road at one point. Oddly, the intensity of the situation is pumping my system with more adrenalin than usual, and the feeling of euphoria riding fast down the mountain is growing - I'm grinning from ear to ear while carnage is striking all around me! The Sprint's purring beautifully, I don't think I've ever felt so "at one" with a machine.

Finally at the end of the Mt Mee run and amazingly, it still hasn't rained... decide to take the faster route to home so hit the road between Dayboro and Petrie (80km/hr zone - seems the best bet).

I'm flying now, and the wind has picked up... it's blustery as hell with lightening still frequently striking around me, the smell of burning bush heavy in the air, and the debris in the air and on the road is beginning to get worrying. My eyes feel like saucers in my head, daren't blink or I'll miss something and I'm a gonna. "Just keep going, keep going" I'm thinking, whilst still unable to shake the mad grin on my face... Finally I'm through to Petrie and on through Strathpine, into my suburb and I'm home - maybe even dry?! Still not raining! As I hit Strathpine, the rain starts, and it rains like I've never seen rain before. It's like a firehose is directed at me and is just soaking me from head to toe in about half a second... Visibility has dropped to 2-3 metres, and power has gone out in the area, leaving traffic lights in hazard mode - great! Some traffic on the road, but people are now madly looking for cover. I decide to keep on, home is only five minutes now. The wind has picked up yet more now, and I'm being pummeled left and right, the bike is being pushed across the road. I slow down a bit. Could take 10 minutes I'm thinking...

Debris on the road is now a major concern - trees have been stripped and it's all over the place, meanwhile my bike is doing a very effective impression of a sail. I'm now crouched down low to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible, which is having the desired effect. Finally I turn into my suburb then onto my street. There's no road - the storm drains are flooded and the "road" is now an effective little river. I plod on through and hit my driveway, garage door up and I'm home, safe!

Wife and kid are concerned, the water level is reaching "alarming", and it ain't gonna be long til there's flooding (fortunately the rain eased about an hour later so no flood here!)> Meanwhile I'm dancing around the patio madly, still grinning from ear to ear! That was INTENSE! I'm yelling!

Took me a couple of hours to come down from that high, man that was the best ride I've ever had! I now completely understand those guys that chase storms... nature is an amazing force. Add into the mix riding my bike and, although I don't see myself chasing that sort of thrill again anytime soon, the buzz from the event was incredible!

We were the lucky ones - there are some areas of Brisbane that have been basically torn apart, so hopefully any others local to this area have shaped up ok.

Sorry about the long winded report, but wanted to share the experience.

Cheers all,

Neil

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Very exciting Neil.

I was safely in my house and thought that I'd hate to be out in this never mind about on the bike!!

The rain was sheeting horizontal to the ground and stripped the trees. Our guttering was overflowing with the downpour there was so much water.

The boys were running around the front lawn naked splashing in the puddles when the worst of it had gone. Oh to be a kid!!

Glad that you came out unscathed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Brave man

Neil , you are so lucky!

The hailstones were smashing windows , my house was shaking , branches were bouncing off the roof , my heart rate was up there with yours (have a 30m gum tree right next to the house)
and you were riding in it!

You should buy a lottery ticket.

Good Luck
STrider :)

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Lucky escape Neil.

I had been out forom 5:00am to 11:00am the same day but I was mostly North in the sunshine coast hinterland and Kennilworth.

We got severe rain, almost flooded my garage and every violent lightening, far too dangerous to play outside in puddles at my place!

Glad you got home ok.

Cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
929 Posts
good read! lol

those lighting strikes are the gods of thunder just trying to knock you off your bike- it's a little video game they like to play. ;)

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
It seems as though it is going to be a bad storm season. We had over 180mm last night. Some had over 300mm in a few hours kthe news is reporting.

Roads cut, trains stopped because of landslides, houses flooded. Pretty bad in my area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts