Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Triumph Retro Paddock and a Leather Vanson that I've had for over 10 years.
Time for a new jacket. Why doesn't Triumph offer the same Jackets that are available in other countries. I like the Leather Garrick jacket but it's not offered in the US? What's up with that?

[ This message was edited by: s3hooligan on 2007-01-04 22:34 ]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
custom made "johnson leathers" jacket from mr. johnson's crew.
johnson leather
great jacket with heavy leather, and armor. (t-pro: shoulders, elbows)

- removed collar on jacket, and have edging piped nicely.
- took off front pocket and lapels
- added 1" to arm length, piped ends of sleeves; no cuffs
- had 1" cream / white stripe down sleeves
- 2 inside pockets installed (for maps / misc)
- inside is quilted (because it's foggy here)

awesome jacket! very impressive with its performance! never windy down my back (even with NO collar) and the arms reach far. it's totally water-proof (which caught me off guard actually. i didn't know leather could be so water tight when treated right.

the best thing was getting to be measured and tailored to your weird and random body shape. you get on your bike for measurements and movement and general tailoring.

your jacket is lifetime guaranteed. if something blows out or whatever, they'll take care of you.
-- i'll take a shot soon. it's nice and broken in now, and not all new looking.

[ This message was edited by: zooplancton on 2007-01-04 23:08 ]

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like they're a Bay Area shop. I'll have to check 'em out the next time I'm at home visiting my parents.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
On 2007-01-04 23:19, s3hooligan wrote:
Looks like they're a Bay Area shop. I'll have to check 'em out the next time I'm at home visiting my parents.
yes they are. forgot to mention that. makes it hard for folks from florida and north carolina to get fitted. :wink:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Z-

Thanks for the steer on this. I have had a bad time finding jackets that fit well. Have to talk the wife into a trip to the city. That isn't too hard to do.

Anyhow, as for the question...

A-Stars - Like the leather wieght but I need a 54" chest in A-Stars and the waist is about 20" to big. Evidently they made it for the 'busa riders who might have a bit less time to spend in the gym. I won't buy another one unless I can get it custom fit.

Leather Triumph Retro - Like it but the leather is a bit thin. Better in the waist than the A-Stars but I can't wear a long-sleeve shirt under it since the arms are super tight. I like it for another reason, however. People don't ask me what year my Ducati is when I wear it. Evidently the decal on the tank just isn't big enough.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Frank Thomas Strike 2.

Ya can't get 'em in cisco though. They can't get the nail Polish to match! :razz:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
In warm weather, Icon Ti-Max mesh (the older design, without the built-in superhero abs).

For casual riding in colder weather, I have a Cortech Coaster. Full armor and everything, retro styling, very non-power-ranger.

Just got a Corech Impulse for track days. Looking forward to seeing how it works out. It's all black, to avoid the power ranger look. I like the Cortech stuff - prices are relatively low, quality is high.

The Triumph leathers are nice, but way too pricey.

·
Banned
798 Posts
Vanson Hurricane (fully perf) or an old Vanson Cobra II (?) with the fold down panels. Also a Belstaff Excelsior for cold or bad weather. Also, I made up a light leather (more fashion than protection) jacket I bought at Mark Shale last year that looks retro by putting cool looking patches on it: Isle of Man, Bel Ray, Champion Spark Plugs and the like. Izverycoolman.

kjazz

·
Registered
224 Posts
Vanson Cobra, older model

I keep looking aorund for something better but it doesn't exist yet. My only complaint is lack of pockets.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Currently have a textile jacket made by Speedrag.......now apparently out of business. It's different for sure, basically cut like a Dickies work jacket with armor added to elbows and shoulders. It worked good for the other bikes, but Speedy's riding position and my own inclination to twist the throttle farther have proven it to be too loose with a lot of flapping.

I think THIS will be my next jacket. I was very impressed when I saw one, but the larger sizes are sold out until mid - February according to th local shops.

This company also makes a very nice product and is lifetime guaranteed, but their products lean more toward the cruiser type of riding (no armour). I had one of their jackets before but it was stolen.

[ This message was edited by: milqster on 2007-01-05 08:11 ]

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Thrulow makes a deerskin jacket. Have had one for years. It stays soft and is very tough. Much more comfortable than cowhide. Not cheap but worth it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Icon Daytona, Icon Retro Daytona, Triumph 'Retro', Teknic Interstate (the "BOMB" cordura jacket, utterly waterproof, windproof and comfortable), JoeRocket SpeedMaster (never worn yet, hoping for a trackday because of hump).

I've tried other brands, AlpineStars in particular but they dont tend to make sizes that fit me. Teknic in my view makes a splendid product. All the Jackets I have are either size (54, 56, 4-XL)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Jeez, and I thought I was bad.

Rude, you are a Jacket Whore!

:pkit:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts