Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my last thread i asked about the speed vs T120. The responses clearly eliminated the speed. Now i am considering the street twin and T120. I am concerned with power so the T120 wins there, but i figure with the 2019 or above with the 65 HP motor update i should be able to get close to the T120 with pipes, decat, air bix improvements and PCV. There are other concerns that go to the street like cast wheels and looks. I prefer the street there. But then theres the ride. To those who have ridden both enough to know, how do they compare as far as the ride in generat and how much more squirrely is the street at higher speeds given it;s lighter weight? Also gearing. With 5 speeds i gotta think they are spaced further apart but enough to do the same speeds at like RPMs or no? Any other things i haven't thought of, i'm all ears.

·
Registered
2019 Scrambler 1200 XC
343 Posts
I’ve ridden a 2019 Street Twin quite a bit, and have done a few hundred highway miles on it. I was about 250 pounds at the time. Without any wind protection, I found myself near or over triple digits a few times, without trying. The Street Twin has plenty of giddy-up, and with its stock suspension still felt quite sure footed. My two cents…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
My wife has a 2018 Street Twin. It’s fun to ride. But...it is too small for my. Biggest complaint is lack of leg room. I’m 5”11’ with ~31’ inseam. The T120 has a lot more room, which for me is a big deal. But my legs don’t bend all that well anymore, so if you’re not decrepit like me, it may be fine.
The ST is a bit down on power, and I do like 6th on the highway. I also added cruise to my T120, which I don’t believe is possible on ST. I also love that the ST has mag wheels/tubeless setup. Depending on your specific use case, the ST may work out well.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve ridden a 2019 Street Twin quite a bit, and have done a few hundred highway miles on it. I was about 250 pounds at the time. Without any wind protection, I found myself near or over triple digits a few times, without trying. The Street Twin has plenty of giddy-up, and with its stock suspension still felt quite sure footed. My two cents…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to hear ! Thanks.
My wife has a 2018 Street Twin. It’s fun to ride. But...it is too small for my. Biggest complaint is lack of leg room. I’m 5”11’ with ~31’ inseam. The T120 has a lot more room, which for me is a big deal. But my legs don’t bend all that well anymore, so if you’re not decrepit like me, it may be fine.
The ST is a bit down on power, and I do like 6th on the highway. I also added cruise to my T120, which I don’t believe is possible on ST. I also love that the ST has mag wheels/tubeless setup. Depending on your specific use case, the ST may work out well.
I'm 5'8" so i imagine i'll be fine I'm also only considering the 2019 or up since it has 10 HP more and with decat,air mods, pipes and a PCV (or tuneecu and someone's tune for air/pipe mods) probably another 5HP. So hopefully that will close the gap for the most part. The above post sure seems to give a much different impression compared to your experience with the older engine. But hey, i haven't ridden either so i'm just guessing. I'm leaning towards the ST but again, ride is a big factor. Not sure how stable the ST is at speed compared to the T120. Weight may be a factor, tho when i got my Tbird i was surprised to find while very stable at high speeed i felt my speedmaster at 200 Lbs less was as stable.

·
Registered
1200XE and Thunderbird Storm
344 Posts
You won't get near a T120 with a tweaked Street Twin - the area under the power curve is just so much more "filled out" on the T120, even if you got close to the peak power the performance will still be lacking. The gearboxes have identical gearing - only the final drive (chain and sprockets) differ - apart from the obvious lack of 6th gear. My Brother's Street Scrambler is almost identical rev for rev to my Scrambler 1200 in 5th. Nothing squirrelly about the Street Twin's handling - it's very planted and surefooted.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
The 6th gear on the T120 is worthy of consideration. On my 300 mile ride home after taking delivery of my new T120, I was concerned with keeping engine RPM at or under 4,000 for break-in as the owner's handbook recommends. I need not have worried. 4,000 RPM is 88 MPH. In any gear, the bike is just loafing along, with plenty of power available at any RPM and speed. The T120's engine is a marvel.

I've gotten an even 60 miles per gallon, year in and year out in mixed back road and super slab riding.

65 horse power is not 80 HP, and never will be no matter how it's tweaked.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never suggested the ST would be tweakable to match a T120. My point was to get it to where the difference wasn't nite and day and where it would no longer be worth it to me to be compromising the things i like about the ST. I much prefer the ST except for two things...the potential to not be good at speed due to the light weight, and being low on power. So far the replies seem to suggest i wouldn't be compromising the former at least. I guess the only way to know is test ride them, but theres only one dealer around here that allows test rides and i really don't want to do that to them because i would never buy from them unless the price was at or close to the lowest i can find, and they aren't usually.

·
Registered
344 Posts
In isolation the Street Twin performs adequately and is great fun to ride if you're loping along at its pace - if you ride with other people on modern big bikes who like to press-on a bit, ie riding outside the natural range where the Street Twin feels good, then it quickly feels breathless and slow - "forced" overtakes are difficult - whereas you can twist and go on a T120 - the same overtake on a Street Twin requires careful planning with less margin for error - the Street range simply cannot keep up with modern motorcycles being ridden aggressively - the T120 can ('til you get to jail-time speeds) the Street models were devised as an urban range - the clue is in the name and can be found wanting (performance wise) on the open highway. That said, if you don't ride in aggressive groups or have a hankering for high speed performance, the Streets are fine doing their own thing with poise and character. If running costs are a thing then this is where the Street Twins shine - fuel economy soundly beats the (reasonably frugal) T120. Shame about the small tank! And I'd be tempted to go for a 525 chain and sprockets at the first renewal, this will probably buy you 40% more chain life for 15% extra outlay.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I never suggested the ST would be tweakable to match a T120. My point was to get it to where the difference wasn't nite and day and where it would no longer be worth it to me to be compromising the things i like about the ST. I much prefer the ST except for two things...the potential to not be good at speed due to the light weight, and being low on power. So far the replies seem to suggest i wouldn't be compromising the former at least. I guess the only way to know is test ride them, but theres only one dealer around here that allows test rides and i really don't want to do that to them because i would never buy from them unless the price was at or close to the lowest i can find, and they aren't usually.
You’re not “doing” anything to the dealer. If they offer demo ride, take them up on it. It’s a valuable tool in the decision process. You certainly won’t be the first person to demo something and not buying.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
You need to ride them both! I'm a T120 owner who loves the Street Twin. Again, you need to ride them both. Triumph supports the test rides so the dealer is merely doing what's required. The Street Twin feels so much more rowdy than my Bonneville. It has less power but it's so much quicker and feels so much more agile. I'll never sell my Bonneville, it was a retirement present from my wife, but from the beginning it just felt so staid and mature. Meant to toddle down country lanes in the old country. I don't want to modify it (except for the ridiculously ineffective headlight) and destroy the charm it was meant to have. The aftermarket is huge if you're so inclined. Luckily I have a modern bike that fills the bill when I want to have big fun. They are very different, much more than the spec sheet can show.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The Street Twin feels so much more rowdy than my Bonneville. It has less power but it's so much quicker
Sorry - just not true - I ride regularly in a group with a Street and a T120 - the T120 destroys the Street in a straight line - we have all raced flatout dozons of times including in-gear roll-ons in various gears - it's not even close. What did surprise me is how close the T120 is to my Scrambler 1200 given that there's a supposed bigger BHP gap between the T120 and The Scrambler 12 than the Street and the T120. Basically there's nothing in it until 100mph where the Scrambler starts to edge away, the Street is left floundering at any speed except 0-30 where it puts up a fight.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys need to state the year of the ST u r talking about or else it means nothing. Theres a 10 HP difference between the 2019 ST and older ones, nothing to sneeze at in bikes of that HP range.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Definitely recommend you ride each and decide based on your PERSONAL experience. The specs are one thing....but, how the bike feels is something entirely different.

I just traded my Scrambler XE for a SPEED Twin because I HATED the way the scrambler rode on the highway. Others here I'm sure love it.

fitting yourself to the bike is a big deal. A smaller bike isn't necessarily slower, need to look at the power to weight ratio and final drive gearing.

The T120 is ~80lbs heavier than my ST....same engine...different tune. (probably some different internals)

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Sorry - just not true - I ride regularly in a group with a Street and a T120 - the T120 destroys the Street in a straight line - we have all raced flatout dozons of times including in-gear roll-ons in various gears - it's not even close. What did surprise me is how close the T120 is to my Scrambler 1200 given that there's a supposed bigger BHP gap between the T120 and The Scrambler 12 than the Street and the T120. Basically there's nothing in it until 100mph where the Scrambler starts to edge away, the Street is left floundering at any speed except 0-30 where it puts up a fight.
I wasn't really talking about straight line speed. For me it's all about what it feels like leaned over. To me the T120 steers much more heavily and isn't nearly as agile.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I wasn't really talking about straight line speed. For me it's all about what it feels like leaned over. To me the T120 steers much more heavily and isn't nearly as agile.
I agree the Street Twin is much more agile (not that the T120 is poor handling) saying the Street is "much quicker" implied a performance advantage - still, we cleared that up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts