Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hwy 110, 67 & 24

Last week I purchased a new carryover 2013 Bonneville T-100 Black. I have not owned a bike for just over a decade and as a result I was itching to ride. In fact the last time I owned a street bike I was living in my home state of Nebraska--read flat, straight roads. Flash forward to today I now live in Colorado Springs. On Monday I took the bike out for a quick ride up some sweeping roads, nothing terribly spectacular, but fun nonetheless. Yesterday I took my first real ride of any distance in a very long time.

I started out at home in Black Forest, early afternoon. Temps were in the mid-50s and the winds were strong until I began riding closer to the mountains. I headed off for Monument, filled up, happy to pay $5 for a tank. Then the ride really began. Hwy 110 is a beautiful road full of mostly long sweepers. These were great for getting my sea legs back under me. Sadly I don't have many photos of this part of the journey, or much of the journey at all, but I will post the photos I do have.

The ride from Palmer Lake to near Sedalia on 110 was mostly uneventful, but great. Traffic was light and moving quickly. For about 15 miles I had a Douglas County Sheriff following me. He was undoubtedly annoyed as passing opportunities were few and far between and I held at 50-55 MPH indicated in the 50 zone. I made it to the HWY 67 junction and stopped to put on another layer as I was heading into the mountains.

I started off on 67 impressed by the views and curves, but unimpressed by the quality of the road. There was an abundance of gravel and cracks in the road. After about 12 miles I encountered the portion of the road about which I had been warned, but didn't believe. I reached a fork in the road, one way looked to be dirt, the other looked to be not a quality road. I chose the left option, the dirt option, as road signs indicated that the Hwy continued to the left. After a mile or so I stopped, pulled out my map and realized I had gone the wrong way. I turned around, determined to make it back to the fork where I was sure the road to the right was a beautiful paved option.

Nope. "Warning, trailers not advised. Sharp curves. 10-15% grade." And oh, by the way, another all dirt option. I didn't care. I wasn't in a hurry and I was certain that the dirt road was to be short lived and my patience and persistence would be rewarded. I kept the bike in first and slowly made my way down this 3 mile stretch of dirt, mud and light snow/ice. I never feared as growing up I rode dirt bikes and for the last 1 mile of all rides home I had to ride on thick gravel roads--that's a challenge to ride an R1 down a country road. The bike did great, we survived and came out on one of the smoothest, curviest and most picturesque roads this Nebraska boy has ever seen.

There were still some corners with sand and gravel so I kept it fairly near to the speed limit. Also, I lost my sunglasses earlier this week and I had to ride without so the shadows held what I feared to be sand, elk and diesel spills; though I saw none of the latter two. I certainly didn't set any speed records through this amazing ride, but I feel like I challenged the record for the most smiles/hour.

Deckers to Woodland Park was met with a setting sun, lot's of shadows and temperatures in the 20s and 30s I suspect. Despite my many layers of clothing I couldn't get warm. I appreciated the 60 MPH sweeping roads as I had a meeting to attend for which I feared I was going to be terribly late--I was not. I reached the local Panera bread in Colorado Springs and enjoyed a bottomless cup of coffee which eventually stopped the shivering.

This bike is great. The suspension isn't great and the seat isn't as bad as advertised. The transmission is smooth, the engine is smooth and I never felt like I didn't have enough power. This may be the longest post in the history of one-day rides so I'll provide a Too Long, Didn't Read summary below:

TL,DR: I rode some sweeping roads, twisty mountain roads, a bit of dirt. I had fun. The Bonneville is a good bike. I need a warmer jacket.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Karl & Lisa's Excellent Adventure has begun!

Hi everyone. A lifelong dream of mine is in motion as I write this: My wife and I are at the start of the fourth day of what will be a 9-week, 10,000 mile journey around the US. I'm on my trusty 2007 T100, and she's on her 2011 Boulevard C50T. We're starting in Seattle, WA, and will be making a loop around the country as far south as Natchez, MS, as far east as Belmar, NJ (to stick our toes in the Atlantic), as far north as Michigan's upper peninsula, then back home via the Black Hills of South Dakota and Yellowstone. If you'd like to keep up with us, feel free to check in at www.karlvandervelden.com

I owe much to the fine people on this forum whose tips and wisdom have been factored in to the planning of this trip. Take care, and thanks so much for the inspiration!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just did Chicago to Atlanta and back on my 05 Bonnie. It was a good time, but I would not advise doing 700+ miles in a day as it is quite painful. That and having a plane crash on the highway you are taking and having to sit in traffic for hours. Bike held up beautifully, just bring some wrenches to adjust the chain every 500 or so. A better windscreen would probably have made it more pleasant, but I am not that smart. Anyway good luck to anyone touring out there. Tire cap, and deer are everywhere!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just did Chicago to Atlanta and back on my 05 Bonnie. It was a good time, but I would not advise doing 700+ miles in a day as it is quite painful. That and having a plane crash on the highway you are taking and having to sit in traffic for hours. Bike held up beautifully, just bring some wrenches to adjust the chain every 500 or so. A better windscreen would probably have made it more pleasant, but I am not that smart. Anyway good luck to anyone touring out there. Tire cap, and deer are everywhere!
Sorry for offtopic, but if you have to adjust chains every 500 miles, its time to change them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not really a trip report, more like a parking report. Most of us know there will be questions about our rides as soon as the kickstand goes down. The Bonnie does garner it share of attention.
I was at a poker run this last weekend - 78 bikes did the route: a Valkyrie, an 1800 Goldwing trike, 2 sportbikes of Japanese origin, an old Honda 750 four rat/chop, 72 Harleys and various Harley clones and me on the T100. I ended up parked next to a brandy new Harley Davidson CVO Limited. This is a Big Dollar touring barge from the Custom Vehicle Operations at HD with special paint, chrome, built motor and all the extras. Folks would come up, glance at it, say nice bike, step around it and start examining and asking about the Triumph. He was more than miffed that he paid $39,000 for his factory custom and my $9000 Bonneville caught much more attention.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Indianapolis to Billings

Returned last night from 3200 miles on a 2005 Bonneville T100.
Only big roads from Des Moines to Indy (last day).
Went to visit my son, the weather was rotten most days to be honest but looks to have cleared up now :rolleyes:!
US136 through Indiana and Central Illinois with lots of wind into northern Missouri, I think I stayed in Rock Port that night, it was a 600 mile day.
US275 and 20 through northern Nebraska, the wind was punishing 40+ mph gusts made a short day of it and stayed in Oneil.
Took 212 through Montana on return route and then 44 and 18 through South Dakota to Sioux City. Rode around Badlands both ways but stayed in Sage Creek campground with the buffalos on the way home. Hit some nice dirt roads, the Bonneville saw 65+ on those roads (who needs a Scrambler?? :D) Also on the way out found some nice dirt roads in Northern Missouri/Southern Iowa. Discovered that area for the first time, it is some nice country!
Had to get Bill to push start me at Cowboy Junction in Interior South Dakota.
Bill's a good guy, if you are in Interior be sure to stop fuel up and talk with him. He rides an airhead (BMW) which to me seemed rare out there in Harley country. Battery took a sh*t in the cold weather. Yuasa sealed battery. Limped on through 44 to a small town that had a NAPA and bought one of their Extreme Sport sealed batteries so we will see how it does. The Yuasa was about 6 months old...
Great trip all in all, returned home with that psychedilc feeling I always get from a good long ride, without the brain damage though.
Damn its back to reality today...

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Rode out to Ft. Tilden today from Manhattan. Not a long ride by any real means, but my longest. An hour there and back! Woohoo! I'm finally getting highway riding under control.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts