Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, hope you are well!

A few weeks ago I managed to pop a Scrambler 1200 tank on to my 2017 Street Scrambler 900.
In doing so, I got a good look inside my old tank once I had removed the fuel pump plate.
Much to my confusion, there were two odd looking capsules rattling around in the small ammount of fuel which was left in there.

Now get ready to be amused,

At that point my potential theft plot conspiracies were racing around my head, personally, after seeing the small copper wound coils within the capsules, I thought that it could be some sort of close range tracker, someone could pop them in the end of a fuel nozzle for an unsuspecting victim to fill up then ride away ready for the would be thief to be able to trace where you live so long as they follow you within a relative distance and if you go home which could allow you to be targeted.

All sounds a bit James Bond like I know!

Anyway, after doing some further research I found that they are merely RFID chips which can be used as animal ID chips with an operating field of about 1cm.
So to that end has anyone seen anything like this before and does anyone have any idea why they would be located in my or a fuel tank?

It should be noted that I did order the bike from brand new with a datatool S4 alarm fitted, my only thoughts are that they could contain data about the bike and potentially the owner should it be reported stolen and then recovered?

All ideas welcome!!

·
Premium Member
'08 Bonneville, '14 Thruxton, '17 Thruxton R, '12 Street Triple R, '99 R1100S, '65 Ducati 350
22,868 Posts
Not cheap, those capsules.

• Haha
Reactions: Shepsi

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it a Datatag security transponder perhaps?
I'm assuming it could be, how would you guess it works? You think someone has to have a scanner to read the info on it?
The dealerships may know, I ordered alot of parts recently and the gentleman in the parts department was keen to see some pictures of my mods so might ask when I send him some pictures over email!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think triumph include Datatag registration with all new bikes (both mine have had it) you don't have to do anything to get it and the dealer could well have forgotten to notify you when you picked it up. There's usually a small warning sticker on the tank/dash/triple clamp area though. A bit like Durex "For your protection sir!"

·
Registered
1972 Norton Commando, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Norton Commando, Bonnevilles - 2018 T120, 2009 T100
263 Posts
Sounds more like an anti- theft measure. A scanner at the dealership could be used to detect anyone taking the bike off the premises without permission. Like a NoGo tag at a department store.

·
Registered
2017 Bonneville T100
454 Posts
Sounds more like an anti- theft measure. A scanner at the dealership could be used to detect anyone taking the bike off the premises without permission. Like a NoGo tag at a department store.
Nope. The maximum range for that type of capsule is about 1cm. And that's through air. Inside a steel tank there's no way they could be read at all without shoving the reader down into the tank and getting the reader coil in just the right spot.

·
Registered
1972 Norton Commando, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Norton Commando, Bonnevilles - 2018 T120, 2009 T100
263 Posts
Nope. The maximum range for that type of capsule is about 1cm. And that's through air. Inside a steel tank there's no way they could be read at all without shoving the reader down into the tank and getting the reader coil in just the right spot.
Well that is most unusual. Not like the Brits to waste $ on something that provides no value. Maybe a prank or some kind or a factory thing where they inset a probe into the tank to monitor inventory movement - specifacally that the correct tank was selected for installation.or a spare parts order. Warehouse Management Stytems are often configured to do exactly that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts