Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 ST. 955 has just started to take a while to return to normal idle after opening throttle. Where do I start to look. New cables were fitted about 2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
The first place to look for that symptom on these bikes is the IACV. Possibly cracked air tube(s), possibly a dirty or dodgy stepper motor.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Hi Chris

Hi Chris,

how are you doing? I have my baby back on the road, so am hoping to come your way soon!

Your first port of call for this is the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) as, unlike the old cars I learnt on (MGs) when you close the throttle on your bike, you really do close the throttle. The butterflies shut. The air needed to run the engine at idle is bled in through 3 corrugated pipes to inlets below and after the butterflies and injector points.

The IACV is a barrel with a plunger that is moved up and down inside it covering and uncovering small ports to allow the neccessary air into the engine through those pipes.

I would say that yours is probably a little gummed up.

there a couple of threads around that might help describe where it is and how to refit it, but I will have a look in my Haynes and scan the correct bit for you tonight.

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/177381-setting-the-idle-air-control-valve.html

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mark. Glad to hear you finally have your Sprint sorted. I would be pleased to see you again. We have spare room if you fancy over night stop.( Both of you). I could take you on some great local rides.
I am waiting for call back to have it checked out next week. Its become virtually unrideable. Terrible gearchanges as idle is 2000 RPM & I normally clutchless up change above 3 rd
I will keep you informed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts