Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Pretty cool, but $35,000 each? Man, I misspent my life, should have been a defense contractor, LOL.

"Lehner said he expects other nations will try to copy its technology, but it will be very cost-prohibitive."

I guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
wow. that seems pretty damn deadly. But they mentioned, it won't be long before other countries have it as well. If money isn't a problem for the now grossly in debt United States, then it ain't a problem for anyone else

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Pretty cool, but $35,000 each? Man, I misspent my life, should have been a defense contractor, LOL.

"Lehner said he expects other nations will try to copy its technology, but it will be very cost-prohibitive."

I guess.
Plus the cost of the specialized ammo. And whatever costs there are involved in keeping it working in the field. I don't suspect this will be the sort of weapon just every soldier will be field stripping for cleaning/work.

At this point it sounds like they won't be aiming to outfit every soldier with one, but have one per unit. I can see that. Should the technology fail you still have the traditional equipment to support your men, and as long as you can afford it it gives you an unique advantage.

Good to hear about American innovation leading the world, even if it's a very limited application.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Military grade, fully automatic weapons are generally very expensive. This high tech grenade launcher is no different. The XM-25 is a specialty weapon used to augment Infantry units. As it is adopted by more and more units, the price to the government will go down.
Also, if you think $35k is a lot for a weapon system, don't ask how much the M-240 originally cost.

Being a former grunt, I get a gun-gasm every time I see cool new weapons like this, but would hate to have one issued to me. Too much technology means more to break (and boy could I break stuff).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Defeating defilade is always a good idea, however no weapon is a panacea. As an example how would this system fare in a CQB environment when you need precision, speed and close quarter lethality without fratricide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts