Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know this should be in the gear & gadgets forum, but there's nothing but tumbleweeds blowing around over there. So, I'm still doing my research on a nice quality 3 season jacket and on the leather side I've got it narrowed down to three. 1) BMG Montana ~ $400, 2) Rev'it Moto ~ $300 (or so depending on dollar vs. pound), 3) Triumph Balham jacket ~ $280.

I'd probably get the BMG hands down, but the price and the fact that the Rev'it Moto looks to be a very nice jacket (on the web, anyway). So my question is does anyone have this jacket? If so, how's the leather? Any special features or pockets? Is it warm? I believe it has a liner and looks pretty warm?

Maybe, some help from accross the pond. How 'bout some European chaps chiming in? It's kind of frustrating, because there is all this cool European bike wear that we in the States have a hard time getting a look at.

The Triumph is my budget choice and doesn't have a liner, but I've seen it first hand and it's pretty nice for the money.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I have recently purchased the Re'it Moto jacket after I went for a slide and destroyed my previous Rev't jacket. I will say that Re'vit is gear is very well made, with quality materials and do what they advertise. Although I have only had my Moto jacket for a few weeks, I am hapy. Yes its expensive but quality usually is...

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have a Triumph leather jacket and love it... I have the Madison model and has been great... still good looking after almost 2 yrs... I also have a rev'it AIR jacket (summer jacket) and it has been great... very nice looking, it reminds me the BMW enduro jacket, and very well made... as a side i also have rev'it boots... most comfortable boots I ever had...

Not sure if this may help you make your decision, but this is probably the cheapest place to buy you Triumph accessories and apparel from

http://www.madss.com/eshopprod_cat_4965-2688-37264_product_623863.Mens_Balham_Jacket.htm

$238 and free shipping

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link

Texascat - Thanks for the link. That is quite a nice price on the Balham. It pays to shop around. I still like the idea of the Rev'it as it has a liner, but times are tough, so saving money is a good thing and could afford me some new gloves as well. I have a Triumph jacket as well, a Rochester mesh jacket that is strictly for warm weather. I've been known to layer and wear stuff under it though, in the cold. I really just wear it for the armor in cold weather, which is why I need another jacket.

Aussiematt - the Rev'it quality does look good, always nice to see stuff in person. Thanks for the positive assessment.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My experience with triumph leathers has been universally good. I just bought a jacket from MADSS for my girlfriend, and after sending it back for another size, I was very happy. MADSS even sent the return UPS label a few days before the other jacket arrived, so I could have the wrong sized jacket ready to hand off to the Boys in Brown. Nice people, no sweat deal, no problem exchange. I have an old Horizon model with the vents and the full removable liner, and I would recommend something with these features. It is good from 40 degrees up to 100 degrees. And it looks right.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Revit

I have a pair of textile Revit pants and they are fantastic. They came with CE armor and several removable layers for adjusting the warmth and cleaning. They are great for summer through winter.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I agree that Europeans get all the cool clothes! Here in America there seems to be two types of riders: Sport and Cruiser. Sport gear: great protection, look like a silly motogp wannabe, not comfortable off bike. Cruiser gear: not protective, no armor, comfortable off bike, chaps are about as useful as chopping the top of your helmet off (what...you think your a$$ wont hit pavement??), look like a silly cowboy.
However in Europe they use a lot of the "other" bikes. Standards, streetfighters, scooters, etc. So they get all the cool gear that falls in between. Hopefully this trend (of bike choice AND gear) will eventually trickle it's way into America...eventually.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can get a lot...

I agree that Europeans get all the cool clothes! Here in America there seems to be two types of riders: Sport and Cruiser.
I live in the states and got all my euro gear here. Use the internets!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ken you've nailed it...

Ken,

I couldn't agree with you more. It is such a bummer going into some warehouse motorcycle store with a bunch of crotch rocket kids trying to advise me on gear. I actually don't have anything against sport bikes, I just want to be able to buy quality gear that also looks good.

It is true that you can find some stuff on the internet, but in brands such as Rev'it and Hein Gericke we can only get about 50% of what they have to offer. Also, we have to buy from some picture instead of trying on the gear. I just don't have the bucks to be wasting on buying stuff I don't want. Ok, I'm whining... sorry. I just want to hop on my British made bike and pop down to my really cool, local motorcycle store and buy a bunch of really cool british/european gear. Even though I live in Maryland.

·
Registered
10 Posts
balham jacket

does anyone actually have the balham jacket? it's the one I'm looking at, but I'am wondering if it’s too thick for summer riding?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts