Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. well, it was 55 degrees in ohio today, so i could finally get out and ride! i, finally, decided to stop paying dealers for work and did the rejetting on my own. i know you all have been doing that forever, but this was my first time so i was excited. my current setup is as follows:
1.) Mains: DJ112
2.) Pilots: stock
3.) Needle: DynoJet (i installed 2 washers above the e-clip on the 4th groove per DynoJet instructions.)
4.) I adjusted the fuel mixture screws 3 turns out (again, following DynoJet instructions.)
5.) I have a K&N filter installed
6.) I have the AI removed
7.) I have the snorkel removed
8.) I have Epco pipes

So, after changing the oil with Amsoil 20W-50 and installing a Purolator Pureone filter, I let the bike warm up and took her for a long ride. These are my observations, I made before and during the ride. First, the bike seems to pull considerably harder than it did before the rejet from DJ108 to DJ112 Mains. I noticed no dead spots. Several times i blipped the throttle before i left and the tach would settle directly on the idle setting. exhaust note seems to be a little deeper than it was the last time i rode it. maybe i have forgotten what the bike sounded like or the jets made a difference? find that hard to believe, but you would know better than me! only thing i noticed is that the bike is still popping/backfiring a little bit on deceleration. it isn't anything major, but don't necessarily care for it. what would i need to change to eliminate this? could it just be the fact that i have the epco pipes? only thing that makes me think i could eliminate this is that when it was originally jetted from the dealer (too rich 127mains!) it never did this. my thoughts are to adjust the fuel mixture screws, but i could be wrong. other than that, it ran great and i am very pleased. i think that it is pretty damn close to what i am after with maybe some minor tweaking. i would appreciate some of the great tuners on this site to maybe weigh in on my setup and tell me where you might tweak or adjust from here. thanks for all the help. you all are a blessing to those of us that are noobies with motorcycle tuning/maintenance! -keith

PS. almost forgot, don't really think it would make a difference, but the bike had a full tank of shell 93 ultra with stabil added to it. could this "skew" my setup in anyway?

·
30,527 Posts
Hi Keith,

I did a setup similar to that last year. I also found I had popping. I my case I had a leak at the joint between silencer and headers, but also turned the mixture screw out another half turn once I had fixed that. There was still occassional popping - but not much, mostly on a hard deceleration so to speak. It added a little character that I liked, so I left it.

I also found that dynojet setup gave much better throttle response.

The washers on top of the clip are so that the needle sits hard against the plastic spacer that the spring sits on, by the way, so that the needle can't jump up and down.

The gas won't make any difference to it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi there,

I am running all stock apart from the DynoJet kit, and it's running spot on with no popping (using 108 mains) - and it also works equally fine with TORs (using 112 mains), so your set up should be OK. However, the Euro kit and US kits are slightly different.

You don't mention changing the springs - I assume you have done this as you should have these in the US version. I would try with the snorkel back in as this should fix the popping - bear in mind the Dynojet kit is designed for a completely stock airbox.

Dave

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
When rejetting, the most critical element is to start with the right main jet. Though the 127 you had installed previously was too much for your setup, I think that the 112 may be a little lean (this is assuming that you live at or near sea level...5000 ft would make your choice nearly spot-on). With your intake and exhaust mods I would recommend something around a 117 or 120 main. As for popping on decel, I tuned it out by going to a #42 pilot jet and installing idle mixture thumbscrews (my bike is an '03 790 T100). The thumbscrews allowed changes to the mixture on the side of the road while sitting in the saddle allowing me to get it just right.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Well done on a fine job Keithk,

As far as the main jetting goes then you wont be far wrong
as the DJ112's equate to 117.5 Keihins.

Its possible that any mild popping on decel may be just a product of
fitting the alternative pipes.
As Prop says, to some its an acceptable part of the bikes character.
I like it!!

V.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks all for the replies. to answer some of your questions. yes, i did change the springs from the stock ones to the dynojet supplied ones. the elevation here in ohio is 780 ft. above sea level. and for all that don't know, as ventura stated, a DJ112 jet translates to a 117.5 Keihin jet. Ventura, you have probably been asked before, but how much popping is exceptable with these engines? as you probably can figure out, this is my first bike so i don't have much experience to base anything on. all i can say is that it isn't really that much and i could probably live with it. should i try to fool with the fuel mixture screws. if i should, i will wait till i can upgrade to the ones from newbonneville. what direction would i adjust? i assume i would want to try going out a 1/4 turn? -keith

·
30,527 Posts
Yes - turn the screw out in 1/4 turn increments. More than 3 and 1/2 turns tends to indicate that you need larger pilot jets, but with your set up you should not need those.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts