Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the D650 have a reverse polarity protector to protect the ECU? If not, can the ECU be repaired?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read the entire owners manual, and it didn't say anything about one. But it also didn't say anything about causing damage by reversing the polarity. It just warns about causing sparks that can ignite battery fumes. Wishfull thinking?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do I check the ECU?

How can I check the ECU to verify its no longer working and not some other problem causing my faults?

·
Super Moderator
21,183 Posts
You need to give us the whole story
Apparently you connected your battery up reverse polarity.
What was going on before that and since
What exactly ARE your symptoms?

Back to your original question - I think the ECM would be unaffected - the power needs to go through the main power relay to get to the ECM
When you hooked up the battery, was it just momentary, or did you have it hard-wired then key on the ignition?
Give more details of what actually happened.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Your probably right on that one. I found and replaced a blown fuse coming off the positive battery cable. I then tried to start the engine. It turned over, and since it won't turn over without the computer checking everything and giving the red light, I can safely assume the ECU is working just fine. I think I have solved my problem. Just need to start it up after charging the battery.

Ohh by the way, at first it was momentary, then sparks (blowing fuse) and then I hardwired it, cause I was initially confused. But since the main power relay fuse was already blown it was as if the key was not in and it was not hardwired reversed polarity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts