Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across a link to Triumph Twin Power, who offers a service to adjust the stock rev limiter and remap the ignition. Has anyone tried it?

The stock rev limiter kicks on at 8000rpm. Is this an arbitrary setting, or is it perhaps just where a stock engine tops out?

·
Registered
430 Posts
hi, i am currently working on new maps for the speedmaster, you can change the rev limit with Tuneboy, as for how far its currently set to cut fuel at 8000rpm, i will be increasing mine to 8600 but i would not want to push it mush further, as for ignition remapping that’s a whole different story, i would recommend starting with the fuel to air first as this is guaranteed to be lean with current regulations.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm running Predator pipes and UNI pods w/out the airbox. With 148 mainjets I'm hitting the rev limiter easily in all but 5th gear. I'm thinking maybe 8200 on the limiter, but I'm really interested in the remap. Seems like a couple degrees advance would benefit a better-breathing engine...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Easy, I am running 148 mains like you and no airbox in my Thrux. I don't think you will gain much by increasing the rev limit with the stock cams. The ignition remap interests me, a few more degrees of advance should help power. I am looking at installing Southbays 813 cams or Thunderbikes. At that point bumping the rev limit to 8500 or so will help my top end power.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Well, I only know of one modified type igniter on the market and that is the Procon unit. I've been running one for about a year and it works extremely well for me. There used to be another individual here on the forum that did it but no longer takes on USA work. I don't think there is anyone else around.

Cheer
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
.......... I don't think there is anyone else around.
There is!
And he's here.............

http://www.triumphtwinpower.com/rev-limiter--ignition-advance-remap.php

Mike remapped my igniter to give additional advance following the inlet cam mod I carried out.
It without doubt gave a marked improvement to performance across the range.

There are a few past threads here which show the differences and the results from those which have this carried out.
It certainly worked for me!

V.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
IMHO modifying the stock igniter is MUCH better than purchasing the procomm unit. From what I have read, the stock igniter uses many ignition curves whereas the procomm unit uses only one.

I have been running a Jojje modified stock igniter on my 790 for many years and am very pleased with it. The advance has not been changed on my igniter, and I would be hesitant to do so without a lot more research. From my old out of date memory, we used to change the advance curves a lot in the old days, but kept the total advance at wide open throttle at the design level.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I just shot off an e-mail to TTP with my mods to see what they would suggest to get the most out of low, mid and wot, as well as what they think the rev limiter should be. I'll let you know what they say when they get back to me. Sounds like my igniter is going on a trip back home.:D

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Jojje and pie man both do the remaps and do a good job on them .The procoms work ok but are not as good of a box.What i wish would come out is a way you could change the boxes around with out haveing to ship them off so we could find what works best on our motors .Not all motors like the same advance sure would be nice to be able to set timing on the dyno.If someone could come up with a way of pluging something into say a lap top and doing that they could make way more money then doing boxes .(hint pieman)just a way of changeing wot map would be good.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Yea the way to tune one of our bikes would be to do dyno runs from like 5000rpm and up find the amount of advance that makes the best hp then go back and play with maps to find the one that takes off the best at lower rpms.Then you would have it the best you could get it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
It depends on the tune of your engine. On the 865, with TORS and de-snorkelled 8,200rpm is all that's usable. If you go for pods and good flowing silencers up to 8,500rpm is usable.
+1 on 8500rpm. According to an e-mail just received from Mike from TTP, 8500rpm is where the rev limiter should be set for my bike and the mods that I have. Mike will get in touch with BC and get the specs on my cams, then, will map the ignitor to get the most power out of the lower, and mid-range pull, as well as wot. Yes it would be nice to do this on a dyno here in the states but right now this is all we've got.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hijacking my own thread!

Hey SHRuuM, you're the first I've seen with Nology wires. Did you notice any performance improvement? I've read good and bad about those......:cool:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Got a better spark and more power, and no more dying for no reason at a stop light. But that's a subject that has been hotly debated. IMHO its been a boost and much better than stock, so for me well worth the bucks.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
The Nology stuff only helps if your stock parts are bad .I have both and i run the stock parts if that tells you anything.They wont give you anymore power .

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Mike will get in touch with BC and get the specs on my cams, then, will map the ignitor to get the most power out of the lower, and mid-range pull, as well as wot.
I wish Mike luck with that...the BC cams are made by SBT and they have been really uncooperative about discussing cam specs. For me, that is a deal breaker. I'm not willing to spend that kind of coin on an unknown and, in my mind, it's the equivalent of installing pistons of unknown compression ratio simply on the word of the maker saying 'you'll really like the performance gain'. No thanks.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't know about power gains but my stock coil was trash. Hard cold starts, backfire on starting, and dieded at stop lights. Since I switched to the Nology coil all those problems went away. Oh happy day again! I didn't use Nology plug wires. I got these http://www.newbonneville.com/html/premium_ignition_wires.html
instead kinda industrial looking but they get the job done. Good luck with the remap kinda of curious how that turns out.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
:eek:fft:I run both the nology coil and wires. The first thing I noticed after the installation was, the bike started quicker and ran smoother. According to the butt dyno, there seems to be quicker throttle response. I don't know if there was a significant power increase because I didn't dyno the bike after installation. It's easy enough to find out though. After the engine build we'll install the original coils and wires and run the bike and compare the results. This will provide a definative answer.;) Now back on thread!

Pieman, is there a possiblity that you could incorperate an adjustable or tuneable igniter for the individual application or would it actually make that much difference?:)

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts