Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just recently joined this forum after owning a 2003 Bonneville T100 for a few weeks now. I've always dreamed of owning a Bonneville as I always admired the looks and the sound of them. I'm more of a laid-back rider. For me, biking is about exploring, enjoying the ride and the scenery - the T100 has so far been perfect for that and it's been everything I hoped/dreamed it would be.

My bike has done just over 39,000 miles and has just one previous owner. It needs a few bits and pieces sorting which I am slowly working on - I will try and do most of it myself but will try and get the work done by a professional where I feel I am completely out of my depth. I don't have a garage so that make everything more of a challenge.

Here's a picture of my bike:

Wheel Tire Plant Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

I'm returning to biking after around 11 years of not owning or riding a motorbike. Started slowly first with a 125cc bike and now the T100 after I had built up my confidence.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
What is it you think you need done by a professional? fork Seals? Valve Adjust?

I too have only a shade tree, no garage. and yet... there is a lot I can do in the yard.
You can do oil change, chain lube, seat/tank removal to check - if not correct - valve clearance. Even take wheels off.

I do refuse to do things like fork oil change or actual valve adjustment if I cannot get under the canopy on the cement driveway of my girlfriends house. Rain, sudden cold, waiting for parts stinks with my disassembled bike out there on the lawn. omg I would rather have a garage!

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just recently joined this forum after owning a 2003 Bonneville T100 for a few weeks now. I've always dreamed of owning a Bonneville as I always admired the looks and the sound of them. I'm more of a laid-back rider. For me, biking is about exploring, enjoying the ride and the scenery - the T100 has so far been perfect for that and it's been everything I hoped/dreamed it would be.

My bike has done just over 39,000 miles and has just one previous owner. It needs a few bits and pieces sorting which I am slowly working on - I will try and do most of it myself but will try and get the work done by a professional where I feel I am completely out of my depth. I don't have a garage so that make everything more of a challenge.

Here's a picture of my bike:

View attachment 791702

I'm returning to biking after around 11 years of not owning or riding a motorbike. Started slowly first with a 125cc bike and now the T100 after I had built up my confidence.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is it you think you need done by a professional? fork Seals? Valve Adjust?

I too have only a shade tree, no garage. and yet... there is a lot I can do in the yard.
You can do oil change, chain lube, seat/tank removal to check - if not correct - valve clearance. Even take wheels off.

I do refuse to do things like fork oil change or actual valve adjustment if I cannot get under the canopy on the cement driveway of my girlfriends house. Rain, sudden cold, waiting for parts stinks with my disassembled bike out there on the lawn. omg I would rather have a garage!
I'm relatively new to DIY mechanics so I'm slowly building up my skills. Things like oil changes, checking/replacing spark plugs etc I feel confident with. Valve clearance checks on the Bonnie don't look too difficult but like you if I need to replace any shims then I haven't really got the space to keep the bike safely stored under cover while I wait for parts. I'm keeping an eye out for garages to rent in my area though!

Thanks for your reply though as it gives me a confidence boost knowing what's possible without a garage.

·
Super Moderator
1,527 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :D

(Please post help requests in the sections related to your bike’s model. Most of the time you will get quick, informed responses.)

I hope you find this site to be a great place to meet and talk with a great bunch of riders about Triumph bikes. Everyone here is very willing to help with questions or problems with your bike(s). I have personally saved lots of time and money thanks to the skilled help I have received from members.

As you cruise around the many different sections of this site you will find a wealth of information. There are technical sections for every Triumph model and chat sections for the same. Also, we have a classifieds section that is well worth checking out. (NOTE: You need to make at least five posts before you can post to Classifieds.)

Here is a link to the rules of the site and the classifieds. I recommend that you take a few minutes to read through them. Read first before trying to post. Classified Ad Rules - Accessing Our Classifieds

If you want to just hang out and shoot the breeze the “Biker Hang-Out” Chat Section will be the place to stop in. Biker Hang-Out

If you haven't done so already please fill out your Profile. Please make sure that your Profile includes the year and model of your bike(s), and as a minimum, your general geographic location. Knowing where you are can help us help you.

If you are a new or inexperienced rider, please look at New Riders - Read This!, as well as our General/Riding and Survival Skills section. Please feel free to post any safety or riding skill related questions you may have. Remember, the only "dumb" question is the one you don’t ask. The answers you get may save your life!

Here are the governing rules of the site and what can and cannot be done here: Acceptable Use Policy - Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)

I hope you enjoy the site. The moderators are here to help if you have questions or concerns. Thanks for joining Triumph Rat!

I wish you safe, fun riding!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts