Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the other threads, but still need some info...

One of my bikes keeps leaking from the gear sprocket area, so I replaced all the seals, the gasket and the 'o'-ring on the gear shaft whilst replacing the chain and sprockets. It now leaks worse.

I saw mention of using silicone rubber and even araldite on another thread recently, but I'm not sure where these need to be put.

I've currently got the primary and clutch apart again, so any advice on how to fix this leak would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The sprocket itself? I once had one that was (presumably) incorrectly made - I only concluded it was the sprocket when I replaced it with another / different new one and it sealed up properly. The (presumably) dodgy one was a pattern sprocket, with an RSxxx number stamped into it.

I did get to be very quick at primary drive strip-downs though.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I thought I had a primary chain case oil leak, tried everything, still leaked, then I discovered that the hard plastic crankcase breather pipe had popped off & some oil mist was dribbling down near the drive sprocket area. I had to remove the tank, protect L/H muffler to lean it over flat to see it.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Thanks Daveforty, any idea where folks are putting the silicon and araldite?
It's almost normal procedure to put some sealant under the tab washer and nut that holds the sprocket.
Although it should be rare,you can also get leakage around the needle-roller race on the gearbox layshaft.

·
Registered
378 Posts
On a similar note to this leak thread...I have heard indirectly about a gasket for the primary that has the seal bead built in it...allowing a better seal..have bought these for my Harleys and like them..does anyone know where these can be bought for T120 ? I would like to find them for primary, timing case and transmission covers....any body know about them ?
thanks

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Your bike should have a 5-speed high gear assembly like this:

The groove between the threaded part and the splines is a recess for an O-ring 71-1070

Shown here:

By temporarily tightening the large nut, the high-gear can be pulled out enough to fit the O-ring.

When that`s done I used silicone sealer around the shaft and the tab washer and tightened the nut.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
The layshaft needle roller bearing is another possible leak source.

I sealed mine with araldite, seems OK :rolleyes:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Calky, can you please highlight exactly where you put the araldite on these last pics. It's still not clear to me.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Hi Calky, can you please highlight exactly where you put the araldite on these last pics. It's still not clear to me.
Thanks
Spot the difference in the above pics.
The top one shows the layshaft needle roller bearing (small, blind end) without any sealing.
The lower one shows it sealed.

*info: the large hole and roller bearing is for the gearbox high gear assembly and the MAINSHAFT.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the oil leak seems to have stopped this time. I'll be riding on Motorways for 70 miles tonight, which should be a good test. Also replaced one of the Rockerbox spindle 'o'-rings which seems to have been successful too.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After a lot of hard work, my bike is completely oil tight now.

I'll say that again..MY BIKE IS COMPLETELY OIL TIGHT !!

The 'final' culprit was a leak from the top-hat oil tank filter at the bottom of the frame tube. There were slight indents where someone had removed the top-hat filter previously with a screw driver.

When I first got this bike, it was leaking from everywhere. I had to fix the fork seals, timing side seals, rockerbox seals, gearbox seals, pushrod seals, infact just about all the seals on the bike. I've taken it for two long fast runs now, and no leaks anywhere. Yaye !

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would be very quiet about this...the gods of seepage do not take mocking lightly...
+1

Peter Egan wrote a column about this very thing. He commented how great his T100C had been running and that with a little maintenance the Triumph was a reliable bike.....the next ride one of his mufflers fell off on the highway!

Don't taunt. Be humble. They are always listening.

Scott

·
Registered
147 Posts
+1

Peter Egan wrote a column about this very thing. He commented how great his T100C had been running and that with a little maintenance the Triumph was a reliable bike.....the next ride one of his mufflers fell off on the highway!

Don't taunt. Be humble. They are always listening.

Scott
+2

Had everything tight on mine, now tach drive decides to start marking my spot again....:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts