Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I can't muster any attachment at all for an unnecessary, useless accessory that was originally forced onto vehicles by the inland revenue.
I never fitted a rego label holder to the Daytona (the colour didn't match the bike) and simply told the "tax collectors" it vibrated, fell off and bounced into a sugar cane paddock a few miles back.
They then abolished them completely this October in favour of digital number plate recognition.
I still have to wear a number plate but at least I can do that on my own terms.

davy

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, my next problem was to find out the applicable rate of Tax so I could write it in the little box.

Here is an interesting site which, among other things, shows the historical rates for bikes:

http://www.poplargreg.com/taxdiscs/taxdiscs2/dischistory.htm *

* Beware a very annoying soundtrack of: ****house in your soul by There Might Be Giants

I will miss the discs, a great way of preserving the history of usage of the bike.

Just about time to say - All the Very Best to one and all and Safe Riding

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
Ok so it doesn't apply to pre 60 bikes but they missed a trick when scrapping the disc.

These days the MOT ( safety check) is printed on plain paper but unless you sign up for a text message, they don't warn you that the MOT is due. Whereas the Tax/Insurance send you a postal reminder.

It would have been easy to redesign the MOT form to include a circular reminder even if you have to use scissors to cut it out.

( the Tax disc was circular but perforated)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I got one for mine from poplargreg and he offers a really good service. Comes all filled in with what you want and stamped and you get 2 spares. You also get info on the tax system over the years. He'll also replace them for free for life.
I know you can fart about and do it yourself for free but I'm happy to pay someone a few quid for good service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts