Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
30,406 Posts
Bit small though. If I was going to get a 250 I'd get a little dirt bike and ride around the farm on it.

Now - A Triumph 500cc single. That would be fun. I'd buy one of those.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If my wife rode that would be a perfect bike for her. I have considered teaching her to ride but I don't think I can afford the funeral expenses. We have a joke that if I ever want a divorce she will know it by my buying her a bike.

If you have a daughter get her involved in sports. Balance and situational awareness will be with her for the rest of her life.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This is pretty cool
The new Suzuki TU250
That is pretty :cute: but to small. Come on Suzuki, put that beautiful DR-650 engine in a configuration like that and I get in line for one:drool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice bike! You think that's good for a girl who's 5 foot 2? i'm not familiar with smaller bikes and told her it may be better to stick to a scooter.

Any small bikes out there that might fit the bill?

what you guys think?

·
Registered
191 Posts
A suzuki only a triumph rider could love..

I like it!

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Nice lightweight bike. Since the price on this link is shown in "$", it must be heading for our shores.

Here's another one that Kaw built for years, but didn't bring into the USA. It was called the Estrella, and was, I believe, a 250cc.
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n284/bcgilligan/?action=view&current=Slide1-3.jpg

And a cafe'd Estrella:
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n284/bcgilligan/?action=view&current=Slide2-1.jpg

I think I'd like to have a little bike like either of these in my garage. Then, I'd call the Bonnie my Big Bike.

Bob

·
30,406 Posts
I like the W650 and I want one. It's actually a retro jap bike - looks a lot like the W650 of the late 60s. Nothing wrong with that at all. Great looking bike.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Errrr - this is a Triumph site - so why are we discussing a Suzuki??

It may be retro looking but so what?

Triumph 500 would be worth talking about, or a Triumph Cub 200 ish.

This is where Triumph should be going.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Kawasaki had the W650 some years ago. If you see it without the badges, you would probably mistake it to a British classic.
You guys that like the Kawi W650 (like me) should check out the pics of the one that was listed on eBay a short while back. It looked like an old Trumpet right down to the badges and logos, that the owner had cleverly replaced. I believe it just may have earned him some extra dough.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBDIX:IT&item=270285930011

Now... to bring us back on topic, I'm not as crazy about the little Suzuki. Looks too much like a Honda Rebel to suit my taste.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
If you wore triple bifocals yes you might mistake it for a Triumph.
But the reality is you would not, surely you would not.
A Kawasaki masquerading as a Triumph?
No thanks
Now, who would imagine a Triumph masquerading as a Kawasaki?
Nobody, surely
Says it all dunnit?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Kawasaki had the W650 soem years ago. If you see it without the badges, you would probably mistake it to a British classic. Here's a link to a comparison between the Kawasaki and the Bonnie-

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/parallel_twin_motorcycles_comparison/index.html
I'd buy another one. I rode this little gal for 7 years and 52k miles. Not a nickel's worth of trouble.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/...ion=view&current=BGandtheW650byMauryRiver.jpg

I don't think the W650 fits the category the original poster was addressing, ie, small singles, however, it was several pounds lighter than my T100. I think Kaw quit building this bike for the home (Asian) market in 2007, although there is a de-stroked version without kickstarter available there. It is the W400 (400cc). I found a web site in Japan with 08's for sale.

Bob

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Retro bikes have a unique appeal. They are nostalgic for us old farts yet they seem to hold the fascination of younger riders as well. It would be interesting to see a poll of Bonnie riders to see how many in each age group own one.

I would guess that the 41-50 age group would be the largest. Followed by 51-60. Then I would guess it would drop to the 21-30 age group. I'm 50 but was 49 when I bought the Scrambler.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
That would be an interesting poll James. I'm 49, but was 47 when I bought my Bonnie T100. I'm currently looking forward to getting another bike in the future. I'm hopeful that Triumph will come out with something else in the next year or two, that appeals to me like my Bonnie does. I'm leaning toward a California Vintage Goose as of now... but I'll be keeping my baby. :D

·
30,406 Posts
Interesting idea for a poll - I think you should go for it.

I find it interesting that you don't list the 30 to 40 age group in your line up - I wonder where that group would fall? Especially as I'm in it, although not for a whole heck of a lot longer.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I'm hopeful that Triumph will come out with something else in the next year or two, that appeals to me like my Bonnie does. I'm leaning toward a California Vintage Goose as of now... but I'll be keeping my baby.
Road Dog: Yeah I'm constantly looking at bikes. I just can't help myself. I've been considering selling the Scrambler and RT and buying a new Tiger. I'm also fond of the America, BMW R1200GS, Suzuki Vstrom, Yamaha Raider, Ducatti GT1000, and RIII Classic.

So many bikes and such little time:cool:

For now though, I'm sticking with the two bikes I have. I love them both and I'm broke right now.

The first step in overcoming a problem is to admit that you have one. I definitely have one! My wife is ready to have me institutionalized.:eek:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts