Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good place to find retro-style leather jackets. I kinda like the Triumph ones (see banner to the left of this) or like the one Peter Fonda wore in "Easy Rider". I have a Corazo bomber style jacket that I wear on my Vespa that has full on armor in the elbows, shoulders and back but I know it would just shred apart if I were to lay it down. Where else can I look for these or what are others wearing keeping in theme with the Triumph classic style? Thanks!

·
Registered
513 Posts
This is a picture of mine, It did not come with armor, but I have a Cortech DSX that has armor. So this winter I am going to have a friend that works with leather make some pockets so I can switch the armor between the two.

I would like to find some leather over pants with armor.

·
Registered
212 Posts
E-bay has a lot of "leather" motorcycle jackets for sale at $54.95.

Am I correct in assuming that these are junk?

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
There are loads of retro jackets on flea bay, and I bet there are Thift Shoppes in your area that have bunches as well.
I picked up a nice one at a local store called "Rag Stock" for $85.
One of my first mods!
:)

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've been looking for ages for a leather jacket with a diagonal zip and a mandarin collar. Those were so common 20 years ago.
Now the closest I can find is diagonal zip with epaulets, too many pockets and unnecessary studs (i.e. cruiser jacket) or straight up and down zip with mandarin collar.
Anyone seen what I want?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I would recommend that you check out Fox Creek Leather, Schott NYC and Vanson Leathers. Not only do you want to make sure that you wear a jacket that can take a beating (especially if you have a "get off"), but each company makes a number of different styles (many of which being "retro-styled' and Schott even makes the ol' Easy Rider special). Their quality is unsurpassed. I have the Fox Creek Motorcycle Classic II. It runs $365. The quality is amazing and it is a couple hundred dollars less than similar jackets by Schott and Vanson. It's a 1.6mm naked cowhide leather (it's heavy as lead), has six vents (two in back, two in the front and one on each arm), and has a lifetime warranty. (You should also know that Fox Creek's jackets are made in the U.S. and they have the best customer service I've experienced. If your jacket doesn't fit right, they'll send you a new one straightaway even before you send the other one back.) Also, I worn it in both 100 plus degree as well as 40 degree temps; it has always been comfortable! One more thing: if you want, Fox Creek will special order make one for you with pockets for elbow and shoulder armor. I didn't get the pockets but have instead opted for using an undergarment armor system such as the Forcefield Motorcycle Armor shirt.

At the same time, I bought the Montana Jacket from British Motorcycle Gear in order to see which I liked better. It's a 1.4mm naked cowhide leather and has elbow and shoulder armor. The style was awesome and it fit like a glove. It cost more ($399), only had a one year warranty and didn't seem nearly the same quality as the Fox Creek (not to mention the fact that the lining began to rip the third time I put it on.

Good luck finding what you want.

·
Registered
251 Posts
man, there's TONS of cool leather jackets out there. especially if you like black jackets.

i don't like black jackets, so i bought the Dainese Nevada jacket.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=3&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=DAI_1533522-631-48_G&tier2=95

I took the patches off (including the number), and now it just looks cool.

i would recommend trying any on that you can. comfort is more important than style, in my opinion, but that probably differs from most people.

cheers!
nick

·
Registered
179 Posts
The next best thing to trying them on, is to order a pile of prospects from Dennis Kirk. You can return anything for "free", they just take $7 off your refund. That has saved me a ton of shipping costs to return stuff.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts