Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just completed top end on 1969 tr6r . I need to know how long i should run engine before retorquing head.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would do just 20 miles to put a heat cycle into the engine. Leave it overnight and re-torque head, check tappet clearances, do another 50 miles, leave overnight re-torque check clearances, and do again until it stops moving.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
And don't retorque until it's completely cooled. Overnight would be good. And readjust the valves afterward.

Remember to tighten the six nuts under the rockerboxes and the four quarter inch bolts at the corners.

[ This message was edited by: Mecchanica on 2007-02-17 18:35 ]

·
Registered
31 Posts
I retorqued my head after years of sitting, but never did the rocker boxes. I assumed they came down with the head. Anyway, I do have a bad leak around there. Obviously at spindle, but not fure where else.

So, I just read this thread and went in garage to check if those four at the corners were tight. (I had not too long ago tightened the six at bottom just a hair). Well one of the four corners ones just went, tick, and moved quarter inch ratchet end about 2 inches. I backed it off and back again to about that same place. Snug with quarter inch ratchet.

Think I did some harm? Just reset valves. Think I need to do it again?

Also another stupid question: The proper way to retorque? Should one always loosen first and then torque?

·
Registered
168 Posts
It really is never too soon to retorque those headbolts. After it heats up the head begins to bed down. After a few times you will notice when it settles down, but always check valve adjustment after every cool down. I was surprised once, after retorque and tappet adjustment , there was little clearance after cool down. The next day, I went through the procedure again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts