Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the airbox restrictor plate on my Thuxton yesterday, and also enlarged the intake hole where the silly snorkle used to be. I rode it to work today and WOW, what an improvement for a FREE mod. I have predator pipes and was running rich with 130 mains, but I think I may be right in the ballpark now. I'll take her up into the San Bernardino mountains today and see how it revs out.
Once again, this site is awesome.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Well done on what must be the best value bangs/buck mod you can do!

You must have been running very rich prior to gutting the airbox if you
were running 130's. Were these recommended to you for the Preds?
You need to have a word if they were!!

Anyway, hope your test running goes well and enjoy the modding journey you've just started out on!!

V.

EDIT: Ive just read your posts from back in June!
Those jets should never have been recommended with your new pipes!
I dont know how many miles you've done in the last 5 months, but you've suffered badly
from over-rich running for all this time!
You must have transformed the bike totally with your airbox mods!!

V.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for that, I am doing a similar mod firstly replacing the airfilter with a K&N & fitting a bellmouth to improve airflow. I was nervous to hoick out the restrictor plate because some guys have said it causes a rough patch in the mid range,but based on your experience I am going to fit similar jets & do the lot.
Wot me worry??

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I just pulled my restritor plate out yesterday and got a chance to test ride for an hour or so and i would rate this mod a "hell yes!" - the difference was obvious, especially top end. she really goes! ...... One thing, the restrictor plate is L shaped. I cut off the right side piece of it and put it back in. Essentially , on the left side ( snorkel side) there is a plastic tab which is matched on the right by the right leg of the restrictor plate. This keeps the air flow symmetrical ...I have heard that when some guys take the whole restrictor plate out and then get their bike dynoed the right side air mixture is off,,,,keeping the air flow symmetrical should help that . so the result was I cut off the top of the restrictor plate. I can post a picture later if you want.

But the bike runs good... my shim the needle in the spring to see if the midrange can be improved .

Sal Paradise

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ride careful...........lots of snow and run-off up in them mountains.:eek:

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
right you are -

although freakishly warm here, conditions were not great. I stayed off the mountain roads and just hit some flat roads in my neighborhood in the valley... weird to be riding and see snow on the side of the road... :eek: bike came back filthy, now cleaned and wiped down and safely in the garage...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts