Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I've recently come across a 2002 Daytona the wire harness was a complete mess so I decided to avoid any headache and get a new one

New harness came In the mail and I got to work harness fits as it should but there are a few things that look new on the harness to me compared to the old one that was on the bike when I obtained it

I'm not a master mechanic by any means but I do all my own maintenance and repairs myself.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what this connecter would even be for
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tire Bicycle tire

Maybe someone can identify this plugin? I'm baffled and it's probably something super simple lmao 馃檮

Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Motor vehicle Plant

Side note the old harness is on the left new on the right I'd definitely say it needed replaced.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries still no idea on what that connection could be to? Harness fits besides a single lead length from stator to RR but this plug-in just has me curios. It don't seem to impede any function on the bike that I have noticed

Registered
2000 Speed Triple 955i
No idea mate, sorry. The same connector is used for the separate engine loom on pre-2002 bikes like I said but no idea what it's for on later bikes. There were a lot of slightly different looms for the same model year-on-year so that makes things even more confusing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know in either 99 or 2000 the harness was revised so maybe it's a extra connection that was done away with in 2000? Either way I do believe they used to same harness with a change in it here and there so I'm not sure will definitely do some more research.

I think you are correct because the old harness don't even have that connection so maybe it is a older harness.

Either way still fits!

Registered
Found a pic/ name, then did a search on mystery connector...

... Appears to be Furukawa type to regulator rectifier?

Maybe PO changed connection types (common due to crispy frying) - is your RR plugged in yet (or if in, is there any doubt right connection).

Maybe do a little continuity check to see where existing RR connections terminate...

Registered
2003 Daytona 955i
There are numerous connectors that may not be in use. SAI is one thing that may/may not be fitted, as is vapour control valve for emissions systems with the charcoal canister. If everything is plugged in, don't even worry about it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So upon lots of head scratching and digging through the internet it appears that rampant was correct that connection is for engine sub harness ie injectors, ckp sensor/switch, idle control valve stepper motor, neutral switch/sensor and oil pressure switch/sensor.

Still don't explain why there's injector connections on main harness maybe from a earlier 2 cylinder model? as there's only 2 injector plugins. But what do I know? this is the first triumph in the garage.

Either way sub harness is crucial for crankshaft position sensor and already have one ordered

Registered
2000 Speed Triple 955i
Are you sure the connectors you think are for injectors are actually for injectors? Those plugs are widely used throughout the loom, not just for the injectors. Examples would be the EVAP purge valve, coolant temp sensor, intake air temp sensor etc. Triumph didn't do things like have one loom for different models so it's not going to be for a twin unless it's entirely the wrong loom. I'm back to thinking you've been sold a 1st gen loom.

If I'm right you'll be missing the lambda sensor connector, and the instrument connectors will be entirely different.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you sure the connectors you think are for injectors are actually for injectors? Those plugs are widely used throughout the loom, not just for the injectors. Examples would be the EVAP purge valve, coolant temp sensor, intake air temp sensor etc. Triumph didn't do things like have one loom for different models so it's not going to be for a twin unless it's entirely the wrong loom. I'm back to thinking you've been sold a 1st gen loom.

If I'm right you'll be missing the lambda sensor connector, and the instrument connectors will be entirely different.
You sir are correct I knew something was off and upon laying airbox down and checking lead lengths it all matches up it would also explain why there is only 2 of them on the loom as well. What confused me is that those leads are so close to the injectors and they look alike. I was wondering where my airbox connections where lol 馃槅 at this rate there's only a single connection point to figure out once sub harness arrives. Not sure what a lambda sensor is and nor have I seen anything about it in the service manual cluster connection matches up and works as it should

1 - 19 of 19 Posts