Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think the alloy can gives the bike that edgy sound. You should have been sat behind me down the A5!!!!! I think Mot and Dave_P got a little of that exhaust note ringing through their lids at some stage.
Sure did, I was deaf after our blat down the A5, but had a huge grin on my face, 3 old long stroke triples on full throttle, all with race cans :)

The 3 into 1 sounds a bit more raspy/metallic at the top end, its got a different sound than the standard downpipes, sounds great

Will also keep my eyes open for a Sebring for you mate, but it might be better to get some custom pipes made up anyway, as you said

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sure did, I was deaf after our blat down the A5, but had a huge grin on my face, 3 old long stroke triples on full throttle, all with race cans :)

The 3 into 1 sounds a bit more raspy/metallic at the top end, its got a different sound than the standard downpipes, sounds great

Will also keep my eyes open for a Sebring for you mate, but it might be better to get some custom pipes made up anyway, as you said
Those of us there a bit early enjoyed your arrival too - should've heard it!:D That's the thing with the MK 1 is that it sounds fantastic onboard but even better listening to its arrival.:D

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Right Boys! I bet you thought you'd seen the last of this thread.

Well it's winter number two for this rebuild and after a summer of cool rides out I'm as stoked as ever to get this bike 100% sorted, so here is the list for this winter.
  • The front suspension is hard and I'm feeling a little wobble under breaking. I need to get them over hauled for sure and I'm hoping my new disks aren't the cause of the wobble.
  • I found a Supper III fender so that will be going on after the fork leg strip.
  • Also found a Sebring 3-1 and have a quote in from http://www.tuckandsons.co.uk/home-Metal-polishing to give them a major spruce up.
  • Seat wants recovering.
  • I have a Honda sitting in the garage no-one wants that's meant to be funding my FCR fixation. It must be sold.
  • Alternator rattle as reappeared after replacing the alternator and the drive shaft. grrrrrr. Needs a 2nd look for sure!
So my questions to the knowledgeable are as follows: -
What's the best way to sell a bike in the UK at the start of winter. On ebay I'm getting offensive offers and no bites at all from gumtree, the bike is the cheapest available online at the mo.

My final question, Everyone talks about getting the forks looked at by Maxton or k-tech and that's all well and good as the performance benefits are obvious and my forks are feeling their age. Now I want their "improvements" done but with Ohlin internals for nothing more than brand elitism ( I know, pretentious pr$ck). Now I've read the virtues of the overhaul but I don't know what Maxton actually do to the forks and I'd imagine they wouldn't be open to me asking what they do and getting someone else to stick the Ohlin internals in and all important sticker on the fork bottoms! So my question is do any of you know the details of what is done to improve the forks, I need this detail for getting comparible quotes. I was about to just start firing off e-mails to suppliers and see what came back and work things out for myself from there but then I thought there's this forum on the internets full of opinionated and knowledgeable chaps who must have been down this road before!

Looking forward to your responses/abuse, both as always are welcome!

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Glad I haven't seen the last of this thread ! ;-)... the only "internals" you'll get from Ohlins I beleive would be springs the rest will be down to oil, seals, air gap and the valve that lets oil through as the spring/forks compress. My limited knowledge would see oil change giving compliance and suppleness, air gap helping to dictate how firm the forks are along with the springs, the latter also suspending the bike and determaning preload, which in itself is probably one of the most important basics to get right.

Race Tec will supply a spring/revalve kit and has good feed back by folk in here and can easily be fitted at home, Maxton Ktec etc will probably revalve the existsing kit to what they determin is a better setting.

Sooo with Ohlins springs you could put a sticker on but tbh all good quality springs will do the job, you could get the parts and do an overhaul at home with just a set of uprated springs from Sprint manufacturing or go one up and get the Race Tec stuff to plop in also, or whack them off to the aformentioned Ktec or Maxton or MCT or another of the suspension folk out there. It would be worth you getting to a decent place to get the whole lot set up to suit you once done and for about 50-100 quid it's the cheapest part of all of this to make the best of what you are palnning to do ;-)

Cheers
Mot

·
Registered
698 Posts
If it was me i would send them to Maxton.
You can talk to Richard 1st if you need to know what they do.
They done all our T3 forks and came back great. Due to time restraints when we ran T509's they were sent to a guy called Wayne Lamb. Brand new forks and looked like they were stripped with a set of stillsons, completely FUBAR. sorry for the side track but stick with Maxton
Cheers.
Maxton fan.
Paul.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Seems a pretty comprehensive answer to me.
I have a Maxton rear shock ,and it is fantastic.
But quality is never cheap.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Been a while since I've reared my head in here!!!!

It's almost like I been building a bloody website or something!!!!!

Mind you I made time to get a nice Sebring referb'd, those tension springs make me go all weak at the knees. grrrrrrrrrr.

Now to plan my Maxton fork swap...... this bike is as ever an ongoing job but I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel and feel like I'm reaping the rewards of the endless scowering of the interwenz for parts and information.

Enjoy the shots lads :-

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
All the rivets where drilled out a replaced with stainless and the badge was replaced with a new part from the steamer heat shield assembly. The drilling out was mainly to get access to knock out a dink in the backside of the silencer.

All in all not a bad a job. 9/10 in comparison to a new one.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
That's fantastic Silkie!:D Makes me think I should get polishing on my Sebring but too much hard work.
Cheers old boy, there is a deep scratch in the skin of the silencer that couldn't be polished out and does annoy me a little. I might have to consider your Ti sleeve trick after the season is over.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
3 weeks I was told but Richard is out at tracks testing so should get a better idea of turnaround time when he calls me back tomorrow.

Exciting progress non the less...... :D

I can't see the weather picking up too much in the next couple of weeks so it's not like I'll be missing out on much riding time.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Grrrrrr - I bought my speedy with a sprint handle bar conversion. Not knowing any better at the time. It seems that the right hand handlebar camp is now seized on the stanchion..... A delay to the forks going out until I figure out how to get some descent leverage to crack the bar off! Plus gas hasn't been my friend so far even after regular dousing.

In the mean time I've been pricing up the conversion back too clip-ons.

In for a penny!!!!! :D

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
We'll get that other fork leg in and whack the wheel back in stick it on your front wheel stand and have the throttle tube off then stick a bit of pipe over the handle bar and waggle the so & so off.....worst comes to the worst and I'll disassemble that fork in situ and pull the chrome leg out the top with the bar on it then get nasty with it !!! will also bring a heat gun and see if that helps ;-)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Top man Mot, break out the heat and get all Brick Top on that funking thing. Silkie, if you need a big bloke to swear at it in a fake East London accent and threaten it with a big hammer let me know :)

Took the forks out and put a set back in again on a friends Speed Triple on Sunday, had no dramas like that thank god. Changing the throttle cable (it was broken in the accident) was job and a half, getting the carbs out, locating the cable on the carb bodies, and getting the whole lot back on properly is a 'fun' job...

Question for you both (Silkie & Mot) please, when you put the forks back in how do you check their alignment properly?

41 - 60 of 150 Posts