Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 150 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
More work has been completed...... it's been scary. I'm still having flashbacks of almost tipping the bike over! The worst part would have been it sqaushing the MOTster though!!!!

DONE SINCE LAST UPDATE
EVERYTHING is clean!!
Paint is back from the spray man
treated swing arm corrosion
Got the alloy mag polish on the wheels
Finished trimming the hugger.
new rear peg hangers and shinny bolts.
various other shinny bits replaced.

TODO
Still need to find a home for the nano spring and bearing from the fuel cap.
Get the bike to the shop to fix the alternator problem on the clutch side.
Get the sprocket cover on
Spray the fork legs (still waiting on the paint cans to arrive!)
put fancy leavers/horn on
get the hugger on
get the body work back on
bleed in the alcons and new pads to go in the rear caliper.

.....and there are only 5 weeks left till the big meet, I've got my work cut out.

Here's some shots: -

HAHAHA just noticed the pube on the close up of the Ohlins..... exciting but not that exciting!

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Looking great silkie, remind me not to park next to you or Mot at the meet :D

Looking forward to moving to a house with a garage and restoring mine one day

On another note do you and Mot want to ride up to the meet together? we could meet along the route at a cafe, I live near Staines in Surrey

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Meeting up on the way seems doable. It's on route I guess. I haven't even considered the route just yet though. I'll PM ya a bit closer to the date. Mot might have other plans though..... then again might not.

Looking great silkie, remind me not to park next to you or Mot at the meet :D

Looking forward to moving to a house with a garage and restoring mine one day

On another note do you and Mot want to ride up to the meet together? we could meet along the route at a cafe, I live near Staines in Surrey

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Hey there all. Some major updates since last time: -

DONE
Sorted the fuel cap once and for all and the key hole cover stays up and eveything!!!! woohoo!!
The alternator drive was fixed at the local dealers. Mind you the bastards left the bike outside in the rain with no body work on meaning I have to clean everything again. W$nkers!
Alternator back on
Sprocket cover back on
Fork legs sprayed
Fork leg protectors fitted
Fancy leavers & horns fitted
Hugger fitted
Alcons bleed in and new pads in the rear caliper.
Bottom metal water pipe replaced.

TODO
clean everything again!
get the body work back on
unblock the filler cap overflow pipe, I think it's blocked with laquer
top up oil
refill water
final shiney bolt order to be placed and fitted.
try and start the old girl.
sort out the snapped earth wire behind the light.
find the old spacers for the horns as they now fowl against the leg protectors.

Mot seems to think that next weekend we might get the bugger running!!!!! I'm already tingly thinking about it.

A couple of shots here for you all too. Tomorrow I might be able to get some of it in the sun shine.

Till next time... tomorrow or next week at least i'd think.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks Wondermutt, It's a fake Super III fender from sprint manufacturing. They come in black gloss so had to get it sprayed. Happy with how it came out, molded in fiberglass and a nice place holder till an original carbon one comes along.

Hope your T3 still gets an airing these days...... it's a goodun'

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well bugger me...... the old girl fired up today. Happy with how she ticks over and all fluids are settled.

She's back!!!!
:HappyRoll

Mostly done for this years tinkering, next year I might be able to wheel out somthing uber hot!!!!! I've started saving already.

Snag list: -
Horns don't work
earth still needs attention behind headlight
adjust gear change lever
setup rear shock
pop on the carbon silencer when it arives.

Now I just need this weather to perk up so I can get some sunny day shots.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Very nicely done, glad to see another older T3 brought back to a new life.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What a beut!, and the proper color too, I am still amazed at how smooth these old girls ride, have a blast with her, and listen to her sing that song that only these T3s can, hopefully someday mine will be as pretty

Grats!

Mutt

·
Registered
652 Posts
Looking good silkie. I do like the look of those partly polished rims but I'm keeping mine standard.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Know a guy in Twickenham who is a suspension guru/sets up race bikes, he did an amazing job setting up my bike properly and only charged £60 for cash

He even gives you a few tips and a written record of what the settings were and what he recommends for your bike, weight, riding style etc.

See you on Saturday if you want any more info ;)

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I can confirm it is looking cool...front end is V nice...lots of bits that come togther as a whole and lift the bike way above where it was..hats off to Silkie for having the nerve and dosh to rough it out and invest in the old bus like he has..she is probably better now than ever and with a season or two's tweaking will be a V special machine..

Cheers
Mot

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Thanks lads! I'm dead chuffed with how the bike came out.

Took it for a spin today, AWESOME!!!!! but noticed a little ful leak :eek:

Looks like I forgot to torque the fuel tap mount bolts and the fuel was seeping past the bolt heads. Sorted now though but a little panicy moment.

Good to be back on the old girl...... The rear spring if anything is a little stiff but man it feels so much better than the old and show's up the front now. Mot tells me things like that are how these projects snowball!! Not that I'm complaining..... I've loved doing this round of restoration and now I'm going to enjoy a few summers days before getting stuck in again. Suggestions for the next mods would be greatfully recieved.

I'm thinking, front suspension rebuild and then a set of FCRs.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Front end for sure; nothing pays off better than getting suspension sorted. FCRs will eat all of your money and time and run worse on the street than the stock Mikunis, but nothing's better at the track or for bragging rights. ;)

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been doing the same to my 95 S3 that I picked up in boxes last August. Got it together in a few days, rode it daily for a few months, tore it down in December did a good run through for maintenance and upgrades. Also fixed damage from someone backing over it and driving off 2 weeks after I got it running for the first time. It's been my daily driver since. Been meaning to post a thread of the 200+ pics I took doing the work, but school has kept me from spending much time on anything. Hope to post up more soon.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Silkie, superb job and I'm very envious of your skills getting it all together - so much I need to talk to you about! My old girl needs a complete going over too - she needs a bit of extra tlc especially on the suspension and some cosmetics. I'm still thinking how I can mate the Sprint 3-1 to my Sebring can? The more I look at your Sprint 3-1 the more I like the clean, equal length down pipes look.:) I will find out how much a titanium full system would knock us both back sometime and will give Nigel a call at NRP Exhausts.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
TBH mate, I never really liked the Sprint Manufacturing headers and have a Motad in the garage ready to bolt up. Once I have Sprint headers off your more than welcome to use the part for messurements etc.

I am still longing for the orginal sebring so would probably save my pennies ready for when one pops up and have the motad headers there to tide me over..... mind you full Ti sounds proper hardcore.

Maybe this chap could build a full sebring replica in Ti. The idea of that makes me tingle a places I really shouldn't when thinking about a motorcycle. All we need is a donnor sebring! :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
TBH mate, I never really liked the Sprint Manufacturing headers and have a Motad in the garage ready to bolt up. Once I have Sprint headers off your more than welcome to use the part for messurements etc.

I am still longing for the orginal sebring so would probably save my pennies ready for when one pops up and have the motad headers there to tide me over..... mind you full Ti sounds proper hardcore.

Maybe this chap could build a full sebring replica in Ti. The idea of that makes me tingle a places I really shouldn't when thinking about a motorcycle. All we need is a donnor sebring! :D
Interesting - thing I really like about your Sprint headers is the equal length look and the sound. Your bike stood out for sound(apart from the mega looks!), to me anyway, more than any of the other arriving Speedys - really deep rumble, you could almost hear each piston firing - very naughty but nice!:D If I get good feedback from Nigel at NRP on my equal length 3-1 header idea I'll let you know. He could do you a Sebring style and me the other or I could sell you my current Sebring - lots of different possiblities but I want to do more research on the benefits/negatives of a equal length headers system. Did you re-jet for your Sprint system? I may take you up on your offer of measuring up for the Sprint headers as well - the outlet on the Sebring is around 55mm+ as it's deffo big bore!:eek:

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I think the alloy can gives the bike that edgy sound. You should have been sat behind me down the A5!!!!! I think Mot and Dave_P got a little of that exhaust note ringing through their lids at some stage.

Sure chat to your fella and I'm sure something can be sorted out, just keep me in the loop chief.

As for jetting, it had the K&N jets & filter installed and dyno'd A LOT when that exhaust system went on. The carbs are more than due for a good feckin' clean though, its never been done and was sat for two years before the rebuild so they should be REALLY gummed up. Got my eyes on an ultrasonic bath for that job mind.

21 - 40 of 150 Posts