Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some updates as to my attempt at breathing new life into my first bike. I've had this triple since I where a lad, picked it up circa 2001 for £3000 and I've been and done everything on it. From mad Sunday at the TT to picking up a frozen chicken for my ma's Sunday roast.

This Speedy isn't going anywhere as I've more or less grown up as a biker with it. The restoration is to forefill an ambition, my Dad's mate (Coming up to his 70's when I met him) had an original Bonni that was mint and used to come out for special occasions. I'm planning on being a similar daft old git with something special tucked in the back of the garage! :D

Thought I split the thread out from my shameless begging for parts and move into a dairy of restoration type thing.

So here we are: -
Mot offered to come over and help me get the wheels out for powder coat. Just to warn you guys this is how he leaves your bike after eating all your bacon and drinking all your coffee!! ;) Mind you we did get those rather sexy aclons in place and you can see a rather spiffing bar end mirror!

The other shot demonstrates a little more work that's needed before the Ohlin can get installed.

Finding and powdercoater and rim polisher is proving tricky, been let down by about 3 places so far but I'm hoping to get the wheels over to this chap this week.

Also pro-bolt have been charged with sending me some rather sexy titanium rota bolts for the galfers, cailper mounts and other odds and sods.

Hopefully next time there will be some some pics of the wheels back from finishing and I'll start considering that Ohlin depending on dates for the Trumpet run.

Till next time.......

Attachments

·
Registered
664 Posts
A filthy crud encrusted suspension linkage.. My favourite bit of Triumph overhauling... Nyom! :)

Looking good and hope to see you at the Big Meat... :)

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ooooooo - replacement bearings arrived this morning.

The bodywork is at the shop.

The wheel man phoned yesterday and I can pick the newly powder coated rims up in the morning.

Everything is ready to dress the wheels so I'll be busy this weekend mounting discs, tyres, bearings etc. Glad I've got a four dayer booked! Yes I am that retarded with a spanner and will need all four days.

Also, Mot and I had the rear shock out last sunday, along with the alternator.

The alternator was long time fubar'd and it seems has left the clutch side alternator drive loose. Once I get the wheels on the bike it will be shop bound for that to be checked over. Hairy stuff!!!!

Photographic update soon.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Silkie...happy to pop over and get the bearings back in if you want ? plus get those dog legs off the swinger and also might as well have the lower suspension arm off as well for a proper clean up ;-)

Cheers
Mot

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmmmm just opened my order from http://www.worldoftriumph.co.uk/. Not impressed so far.

Not only does the fuel tap supplied look wrong they sent me black eccentric adjusters when I know I ordered silver! grrrr a phone call would have been nice if there's no silver left.

Not happy, and right before bed time.

Mind you Mot, if your happy to get stuck in again this weekend that helps change the mood! I'll txt ya mate.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I bought the same bar end mirrors for mine and got a spare set of bar end weights (trying to save/keep hold of all the original parts) to have them machined so the mirrors fit. Out of interest how did you fit yours?

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Smart or what!!!!!

Thanks to Mot for popping over and helping with the bearings and dog leg removal.

Now for tyres...... Dunlop road smarts I think but shop closed early today so tyres Monday.

For now I best get my marigolds on, I have some mucky work ahead for this evening.

I bought the same bar end mirrors for mine and got a spare set of bar end weights (trying to save/keep hold of all the original parts) to have them machined so the mirrors fit. Out of interest how did you fit yours?
The shop fitted mine as it was being serviced. Long and short of it for my bike, m6 bolt and drilling out required for the mounting bracket and the part on the new mirror that was meant to insert into the handle was "removed". I'll take it off and get you a shot of how the mount looks now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
And I can vouch the pics don't do them justice they are Mr & Mrs Swanky !

"For now I best get my marigolds on, I have some mucky work ahead for this evening."

What you and your Mrs get up to is none of our business !!!!

Mot

·
Registered
652 Posts
Not too keen on the green rim tape though!

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Progress report:

Hugger out (sized bolt was a bastard!)
Dog legs etc cleaned
Tyres ordered
polished my stanchions.

Today's work involves:

more cleaning
Sorting out the fuel tap situation
Getting the c3 bearings back to sprint
measuring and ordering shinny replacement bolts
getting a progress report on the paint
working out where the extra micro spring and ball bearing came from during my fuel tank cap's key barrel swap!

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
The spring and ball are prob supposed to be retained under a bracket and their purpose is to hold open the cover - this is a guess based on what happened when I took mine apart...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was totally wanting to do this with my daily rider, 80k on the clock, but was told by the boss that when I got my new 1050, I had to sell the 885...:YellowAngry But, now for some reason, she has decided its going to be hers,,,LOL, so I still get to keep it,:D soooooo, now I have to get her back up to snuff for a weekend cruiser, til I can save enough up for a Street 3 for her, maybe next year, but either way, I am happy to still have my oldie in the shed, BTW, Love your scoot!

Mutt

·
Registered
575 Posts
Fookin' beautiful man! ...despite being orange! :D

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick update peeps

Done: -
Front sprocket cover removed
Most all bolts on the rear end have been removed measured and shiny replacements ordered.
lots of cleaning (I'm starting to feel like a vet the amount of time I'm spending with my arms up the arse of my bike!)
new rear foot peg hangers on order.
spoke to the triumph shop about sorting the alternator drive gears. "2hrs labor if all goes well + 4 if the engine needs to come out"" eek!!
fuel tap situation sorted
carbon hugger is 90% trimmed but I'm getting bored of that job! although looking good.
I've decided my drag link shouldn't go anywhere near me new ohlins! Looks corroded enough to bin to me. especially when bolted up against my new shock.
Tyres fitted

Still todo: -
more cleaning - Front sprocket area & left rear engine casing
clean under tray
still need to find a home for the nano spring and bearing from the fuel cap.
treat swing arm corrosion
Get the alloy mag polish on the wheels
find somewhere that will give my 2nd hand alternator a test to make sure it's OK!

Not too keen on the green rim tape though!
Do you prefer the black rim tape fella?

and finally some pictures.......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That would be awesome Mot, guess we need to hold fire till the paint is back, we need the front mud guard before re-assemble right? And a little more oil!!! :D

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
We can pop the front in temporarily to get it all done...oil, depends whether it goes up the shop as is or running ? clutch off means a top up anyway so don't want to top up, them spill it and then top up again ;-)

Cheers
Mot

·
Registered
582 Posts
I may be repainting my fuel cap this weekend - if I do I will take some pics of the micro spring and ball and how it locates

1 - 20 of 150 Posts