Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On someone elses thread I was asked to post pics of my winter project, I already ride an old CB250 through the winter, this project was given to me by a guy who had parked it outside his house for a "few" years, did not want to put it back to original as I have one, so I thought a mini cafe racer would be fun, first image is frame ready for paint, stripped parts in the barn, CV carbs, motor, and my original winter hack and daily ride in winter, since these pics the frame has had 6 coats of flat black and so has the swing arm.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Frame painted with six coats of flat black BBQ heatproof paint, next job will be forks and stanchions which will need stripping polishing and laquering, and fitting the swing arm shocks which need a deep clean and then the wheels, job should become easier when I have a rolling chassis.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Nice! Old Hondas are fun.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thanks for reminding me Doodle - my Da keeps telling me to shift an old '78 CD175 from his garage....wouldn't mind but I left it there in 2000 :)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Starting To Go Back Together

Took these pics yesterday, have since fitted all the controls and most of the wiring harness is back on, it turns over now and the lights are working, will post more on how its going in a week or two;

Attachments

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It ran before it was stripped so should be good, as for when its ready, not sure, I am going to get her running very soon, but fabricating the tank seat could take time, I am going to use the original tank and a seat from a racing GSXR that came to grief at my marshal point last season, will need cutting blending filling and painting. thing is marshaling starts next weekend so it will be an occasional passtime for awhile.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Too cool doodledog! I should be getting my old CB650 back this summer, and your pictures have made me even more eager to start tinkering with it again.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thanks for the memory

Great job Doodledog!! Brought back great memories for me as I had one of these brand new back in the day. Mine was the same colour as your restored bike. I just had to dig out my old photos of it. I had great fun on it. It handled pretty well, even did a fair bit of 2 up trips with the missus, but I was lighter then (not going to comment about the wife, I want to live;)).
Still a smart looking bike.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Progress So Far

Well here are the latest pics, she runs well but pops back through the carbs occasionally, most stuff is now in place, the tail unit is off a GSXR crashed racing last year, I patched it up with glass fibre today and it now needs sanding/filling then trimming to fit better and the brackets sorting to mount it easily to the frame, then the seat and tank will get sprayed up in the same red as the front fender, then it will be down to fitting a rear light number plate and indicaters, I am pretty happy with the cafe racer look so far, the exhaust was a very rusty 2 into 1 micron sanded filled and sprayed in heatproof matt, I have moved all the wiring up and forward to make it look cleaner behind the carbs, binned the huge airbox electrics mounting plates fork shroud headlamp brackets complete rear mudguard (which was rotted through) and all the frame seat and panel mounting brackets I recon in total its lost about 50 pounds in weight, total cost so far has been less than £30 only cost being paint and the nice crome headlight clamps Oh and a battery, what do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Yes, definitely a battery if you're using it on the road. I have an '86 XR200 that has no battery, so when you're idling with the headlight on and turn on an indicator the headlight flashes alternately to the indicators. When you hit the brakes, the headlight dims. It's quite a comedy to watch the reactions to the cars around you, but not that safe at night!

Mick :D

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just about finished, all thats left is fitting of mini indicators and stop/tailight, chain and sprockets, all on order. Then just minor tweeking and primping. that will then be a finished job, which has been fun thing is what to do with it now.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts