Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
been awhile since I asked/posted anything on here, but I've generally been able to solve any issues that pooped up with my bike on my own. Today is an exception.
I need someone to show me pictures/diagrams of the front wheel spoke pattern for a disc brake '73 bonneville. I bought a set of stainless spokes for it, and took some pictures of the front wheel, but upon lacing, I can't seem to get the pattern right. I feel like I've tried every variation and comparing the patterns to the pictures etc. I'm at my wits ends with this, Today I spent about 8 hours with the damn wheel threading and un-threading the nipples and spokes a dozen times with no luck. It's like the pattern is just slightly off. Some of the spokes protrude too far past the nipples, while others seem fine.

Any help with this would be fantastic. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
We run a human to human customer service here at Coventry which means constantly being drawn away to answer questions and take orders. This means that this 77 year old is trying to keep too many balls in the air. I appoligize for not reading the original post and seeing 1972 instead of 1973.

So here is the trick for doing a 1973 disc wheel.

First look at the hub for witness marks left by the old spokes. This is the quickest way to determine which spoke hole is for which spoke. It will also tell you the direction they were laced in. (see picture)

Lacking any witness marks the key spokes are going to be the 20 inside spokes.

Starting on the non-disc side (right side of hub with circlip retaining a bearing dust shield) place an inside spoke in any hole on the non-disc side and radiate it clockwise. Now look directly across the hub to the other flange. The hole you are looking for will be directly across from the one you just used but just counter clockwise on the disc side (see picture)

This will allow the disc side inside spoke to “trail” the non-disc inside spoke (be one rim nipple hole counter clockwise) where they enter the rim as viewed from the non-disc side.

Place all of the inside spokes in their respective holes and lay them radiating clockwise. At this point I will offer each of these 20 inside spokes to the rim and secure them by screwing their nipples until there is no spoke threads showing. This keeps the spokes from flopping around.

In the remaining 20 holes offer the 20 outside spokes and lay them radiating counter clockwise. They will cross 3 inside spokes as they go to the rim. Offer the nipples threading them on until the head of the nipple aligns with the end of the spoke thread. You can no true your rim.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
We run a human to human customer service here at Coventry which means constantly being drawn away to answer questions and take orders. This means that this 77 year old is trying to keep too many balls in the air. I apologize for not reading the original post correctly and seeing 1972 instead of 1973.

Please see the lacing for 1973 front disc instead of 1971-72 Conical.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts