Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere a while back on the tuneecu site that after you download a map you should reset the TPS. Yet others say they haven't done this and neither have I. (i read that AFTER i had already tried different maps a few times)

So can someone enlighten me as to whether this needs to be done and when? Having thought about why it said to do this and why most don't i was thinking maybe it's because if you D/L a stock map you don't have to because the map already has the TPS info in it. But that the reason for saying you should reset it on the site may be because they are saying if you EDIT a map that the TPS must be reset because now the map's TPS info doesn't match the changes you made. Would that be why? If not then whats the lowdown here? Do you ever really have to reset TPS?

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE, '73 Yamaha RD350, '74 Kawasaki H1E 500
2,047 Posts
What they really mean is reset adaptions. The engine management system is adapative. That means it can adjust to new working conditions by 'learning" what adjustments are needed to maintain correct idle and correct fuelling in closed-loop mode.

If you load a new map the adaptions are no longer valid so they should be reset with a simple click of a mouse button in TuneECU. That does not load the correct values - it simply puts them back to their start point to force the engine management system to adapt to the new working conditions. That is usually done by starting the engine from cold, allowing it to warm up and idle for a specified period depending on what ECU is used.

While it is obviously a good idea to reset adaptions whenever a new tune is loaded (why wouldn't you?) it is not the end of the world if you don't. The engine management system is constantly "learning" new short term and long term fuel trims so it will eventually establish the correct settings. Until that happens idle and low speed running may be off but it should sort itself out eventually.

Adjusting the TPS itself is an entirely different process as described in this forum sticky. As explained in that post it is not a regular maintenance item and should only be necessary if the settings are off.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what that is. Also called the 12 minute tune, and i've done that several times. But i'm talking about throttle position sensor which is what i read saying to do it after remapping. I never bother with adaption because as you said the bike will do that over a few miles anyways, and letting the bike idle for 20 minutes isn't something i like to do for several reasons.

There is a proceedure for TPS reset in the tuneecu manual. Just not sure if i want to do that unless i'm supposed to. This is what i'm trying to determine.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
I have tried the TPS reset following instructions here and in the TuneECU manual and it doesn't work on mine. Seconds after clicking on "reset TPS" a little window opens and asks "Reset TPS?". If you click on accept, it immediatly says "TPS reset done". No little green light at the bottom of the screen or anything.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have tried the TPS reset following instructions here and in the TuneECU manual and it doesn't work on mine. Seconds after clicking on "reset TPS" a little window opens and asks "Reset TPS?". If you click on accept, it immediatly says "TPS reset done". No little green light at the bottom of the screen or anything.
Hi,

You must after the TPS-reset, starting the engine and so long running in idle, until the TPS light is green.

This is also described in the manual: http://www.tuneecu.com/TuneECU_En/tasks.html

BR, Tom

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I am of the opinion that the TPS reset function is indeed operational even though the green light at the bottom of the screen does not always indicate same.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, but can anyone answer my question? Don't mean to hijack my own thread, but anyone? :D

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE, '73 Yamaha RD350, '74 Kawasaki H1E 500
2,047 Posts
There is a proceedure for TPS reset in the tuneecu manual. Just not sure if i want to do that unless i'm supposed to. This is what i'm trying to determine.
The TuneECU manual also tells you, quite clearly, that “TPS Reset” is for a Sagem ECU.

In TuneECU open a map for your Thunderbird. Do you see the “Reset TPS” option? I don’t. What I see is “Reset Adaption” which, as I explained earlier, is what you need to do after downloading a new tune. If someone tells you to Reset TPS they might be referring to a Sagem ECU or are simply confusing the terms.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, thanks. I just didn't know whether it would show a TPS reset because like was said in another thread, certain things don't show till you read the map in the ECU. There are 2 things that say "throttle" but they are greyed out or otherwise non operational but i assume they would be activated in a map read from the ECU. So the fact i didn't see TPS reset didn't have me assuming it wasn't there. Thanks

·
Registered
737 Posts
I know what that is. Also called the 12 minute tune, and i've done that several times. But i'm talking about throttle position sensor which is what i read saying to do it after remapping. I never bother with adaption because as you said the bike will do that over a few miles anyways, and letting the bike idle for 20 minutes isn't something i like to do for several reasons.

Hi,

I hope you'll understand what I write, my English is not so good.

The programmer recommend the TPS-reset after each download.
This speeds up the process of adaptation to the new conditions (new or revised map)
The TPS is real in this process is not zeroed, the programmer has it a bit unfortunate in TuneECU expressed. It is enforced only manually the adaptation-reset.

The TPS itself can only be adjusted, as described in the Workshop Manual.

This process can the Keihin ECU also itself carry out, but it takes much longer than if you start this process manually. Keywords: long-term adaptation

I suppose the programmer has so designated because it is using the "Reset adaptation", in the test window, could lead to confusion, the available there "Adaptation Reset" is where the TPS and the ISCV be adjusted and several necessary steps must be kept out in a fixed sequence. Under normal conditions, this is not required.

The latter is only necessary if for example to replace the ISCV or TPS.

BR, Tom

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I think i understood enough.... that is, i don't need to worry about it anymore. Thats good enough for me. Just wanted to be sure.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
I reset the TPS today and it worked OK. Downloaded new map, clicked on "Reset TPS" started it and let it run for as long as 17 minutes before the green light came on.

The previous attempts failed because I didn't wait long enough, I nearly gave up after 15 minutes but then I opened another can and 2 minutes later it worked.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Patience you have to already have.:D

BR, Tom

I reset the TPS today and it worked OK. Downloaded new map, clicked on "Reset TPS" started it and let it run for as long as 17 minutes before the green light came on.

The previous attempts failed because I didn't wait long enough, I nearly gave up after 15 minutes but then I opened another can and 2 minutes later it worked.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have noticed that after my last download, I have jerky response in low rev/throttle positions.

I did *not* perform TPS reset after last download.
Should I go ahead and perform this action in order to fix the jerky response ?

thanks

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
I have noticed that after my last download, I have jerky response in low rev/throttle positions.

I did *not* perform TPS reset after last download.
Should I go ahead and perform this action in order to fix the jerky response ?

thanks
A TPS reset is strongly advised after any map changes. It will help with the snatchy throttle.

·
Registered
909 Posts
A TPS reset is strongly advised after any map changes. It will help with the snatchy throttle.
thanks

For the steps listed here. Do I simply follow them to the word.
or do I need to wait for TuneECU to re-establish connection whenever I turn the ignition off/on etc ?

9 Resetting the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) 9.1 Keihin Triumph After each download, a TPS reset is needed.

1. Turn the ignition off and back on again.
1Q: Do I wait for TuneEcu to establish connection(green) ?

2. Wait 10 seconds and turn the ignition off again.

3. Turn the ignition on and select Reset TPS from the ECU menu.
3Q: Do I wait for TuneEcu to establish connection before clicking reset TPS?

4. Start the engine and let it idle until the TPS light in the status bar becomes green – around 10 to 15 minutes

thanks

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you don't do a TPS reset, approximately how many miles does it take the bike to do it via adaption?

·
Registered
909 Posts
I tried this...
let it idle for around 18 minutes and then tuneECU lost connection to the ECU and logs said "initialization..."
I had to close and open tune ECU again..and at that time the TPS was solid green.

does this mean TPS was reset ?
I really don't like leaving the bike on idle this long again...feels wrong even though I had a fan running on high and temp was at 5/6 bars. and bike was on side stand with wooden piece under it to get it as upright as possible.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts